Help with turbocharging my SC400 1UZ-FE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
New headunit

Well Steve, i'm getting closer, i just bought a new Vortech V3 SCi, CCW, straight discharge.

Max Speed:53000 RPM
Max Boost:17 PSI
Max Flow:1050 CFM
Max Power:725 HP
Discharge OD:2.75"
Inlet OD:3.5"
Discharge ID:2.38"
Inducer Diameter:3.1"

v3sci.png

Update

Hi Steve and all others following this thread,
It's winter in Sweden and i think very little progress will be made as long as it's cold outside.
  • atm my car is at the workshop, they are fixing my A/C.
  • on wednesday my Vortech snail will be arriving in the mail.
  • I visited a company who specializes in exhaust systems and we agreed on a setup consisting of 2x high flow cats, an X-pipe and 2 rear mufflers. However i have to buy headers first. Not really sure though wether it will be road legal or if i'll be happy with the noise level. My car is a California car and as such it has 3 cats and 4 mufflers :mad:
Meanwhile i've been cleaning my new injectors and replacing rubbers and filters
injectors-1.jpg

injectors-2.jpg

injectors-3.jpg

injectors-4.jpg

Last edited:
The snail looks hot.
Why Steve, I bet you say that to all the boys ;)

Hi guys,
Thank you for following this thread and for your patience, i know things move slowly, i've had a few setbacks, the package from Vortech took more than one month to arrive, one of my friends who has an auto repair shop had a stroke a month ago and he is not really himself anymore, i was counting on his help.
Here is a list of what is left to purchase:
1 x intercooler, bar & plate design (already ordered from ebay)
1 x FMU (Probably won't need one if i use the AEM F-IC8)
electric fans

One positive aspect is that the V3 supercharger unit is self contained and need not be connected to the engine oil system, which saves alot of time and effort of putting it together.

Questions:
1. Any of you guys know of a "pictorial" or a thread where the "hydraulic fan delete" is described ?
2. Should i use a blow of valve ? Is it necessary ? How would i control the amount of boost?

Stupid questions probably, but as stated before, i'm a n00b.

Last edited:
PCV valve

We're having a discussion over at clublexus regarding the correct use of PCV valves and how to route crank case fumes when in an FI application:
Care to comment on this image?
pcv3.jpg

What i haven't figured out is where exactly the orange line should be connected on the intake manifold? Should PCV valve be used ?

/Mike

Yes, you should put a PCV valve just there, because if not, you´ll be boosting your cams.
I disconnected completely both vents from the manifold, less things may fail that way.
If you follow that image, you should put a PCV to close when boost and release at vacuum.

Hi Martin,
Thx for posting, in your pictures i could see something that resembles a bypass valve before the MAF. Any ideas on what exactly i should buy ?

/Mike

Last edited:
I only run a wastegate and FIC. At 6psi, the wastegate relieves pressure to keep it that as a max. Don´t buy a less than 44mm wastegate as our engines move big amounts of air.
There you may want to buy a good one. Tial or PTE (Precision) will work. I have a PTE 46mm wastegate with springs from 1.5 to more than 30psi IIRC, now running 6.

That catch can will pressurise your crankcase ! It should be vented to air cleaner or section that never sees boost . The PVC is ok but make sure it holds boost .. Generally the lower your boost the more the waste gate needs to flow.. The catch can can be vented to atmo BUT won't pass emissions . In some ways it pays to increase crankcase ventilation, while engine is under boost the PVC closes. Leaving one vent when it's needed most . Yep orange between compressor and air cleaner .. FMU is a "fuel management unit" . Cheap way of increasing injector flow.

Last edited:
Updates

Hi guys,
I changed the fuel pump today, got a little help from a friend, but did most of the work myself, this is the pump, 340 l/h:
fuelpump.jpg

I got so excited that i'm actually doing something related to the supercharger project that i completely forgot to take pictures. Sorry 'bout that.
While i still had the backseat out of the car i did the FUEL-ECU mod and it worked flawlessly.
I had the problem with warm starts that we all know and it was pretty annoying.
Well it's all gone now!

I also got my POD-filter today, this what it looks like:
air_filter1.jpg

air_filter2.jpg

I won't forget to "picture-document" next time.
/Mike