Engine Dyno

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Garrett and I been talking about getting the Project Lextreme engine dyno once it done. I have seen one but never seen it in action. I bet it would be interesting. I have heard its about 650 USD a day. I think building the engine slowly with money allowed and get it running on a stand and then dyno the engine. Its much easier to do wiring and sensors when the motor is out. What do u think? Anyone have experience with it?

I think its a great idea, it also help identify any oil or water leaks(if any) and any other problems the engine may have BEFORE it's installed in the vehicle. It will also give your engine a definate power figure.

I have seen two engines run on an engine dyno (One Ford BDA and one BMC A Series with KAD 16v head)

It is the BEST way to tune an engine in development but it can be hard to do with a turbo engine because of the intercooler gets affected by the heat in the engine cell.

David, check to see how much they charge for getting it adapted to the dyno, bolted down, everything wired up, etc. It could take 2-3 days of prep work before the actual dyno runs. I'm planning on doing something similar with my LPG powered 1UZ if I can get the price of the dyno down a bit. I've been quoted $650 a day also.

I think the engine dyno is a great place to sort out maps, get an engine broken in, etc.

John

I have done a bit of this at an old job. The ~$600 a day rate used to be pretty standard a few years ago. IMHO, there is no better way to tune an engine than this! I hope we get to do this in the coming months.

Take it easy,

Garrett
www.wolfkatz.com

I agree, there´s a lot of hidden horsepower and reliability lost on an engine that´s road-tuned. On a dyno, one can monitor and make adjustments much more precise, and if the dynoroom is a good one, also simulate different driving conditions - oiltemps, watertemps, inlet air temp and build proper compensation maps.

Ok, it demands an expert tuner, takes while and cost some, but the price comparred to reliability and power is very competitive related to other solutions.

I strongly recommend dyno tuning.

Some road tuning is often nesseceary after dynotuning to get maximum driveability.

Cobolt, they are talking about Engine Dyno, not Chassis Dyno.
2 very different things.

Personally I'd just use a chassis dyno, and then some tweaking on the road.

Yep, I mean that you lift out the engine and bolt it up just like an engine mounted on a tranny but the tranny is now a big computercontrolled "brake" and some simulating equip that the engine support systems are connected to (water, IC, oilcoolers and so on) to create a controlled enviroment.

There are much simpler dynos as well, with only a big waterbrake for example and no simulating capabilitys.