"Coil on plug" coils for 1UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
sorry for the Giant ass pic, aparenty you cant edit a post after 5 mins, it took about 5 mins to resize the pic so i guess where all stuck with my crazy ass huge pic. sorry.

Pic is fixed - I think they look good like that - now it's how to make the wiring look good too? Those are Honda Accord/S2000/CRV/etc coils, correct?

Also, how's chances of getting some measurements of the length of those coils from you?

What I'd like to see is the length from the "flanged" surface of the coil down to the bottom of the washer on the spark plug, like in the attached photo. This is a 2JZ-GTE COP, which, at 112mm is way too short for the 1UZ application, which I think will require a length between 150 and 160mm (my valve covers are off being cleaned up, or I'd measure it).

Thanks,

John

yes those coils are from a k series engine, they are accually very long, but i machined them down shorter. the 1jz/2jz coils would prolly fit the 3sgte better but i just didnt have any.

the denso k series coils almost perfectly fit the 1uz i posted pics of some just set into the head earler in this thread.

and about wireing looking good. look at the engine, think im gunna mess that up with jacked up wireing :)

Thanks, any chance of getting an actual measurement on the coil + plug combo?

Attachments

• image00111.jpg
    image00111.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image00222.jpg
    image00222.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image00333.jpg
    image00333.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 13
The only drawback I can see to the COP is that if just ONE goes bad you are dead in the water and you have to test to see which one went bad. I would be working on this project but I've had two friends in the last year that have had one of their coils just give up on them all of the sudden. And it's a big pain in the butt! The answer to this, I suppose, is to make sure you buy all brand new units but damn that's expensive!

I'm confused, why would you be any more dead in the water if just one COP went bad?

John, going back to motorcycle COP's surely these wouldn't have a problem with the heat? Motorcycle engines get alarmingly hot and I doubt ther is much airflow where they would be?

Never heard of a single cop causing the whole engine to not run. Certainly should not affect an aftermarket ECU. These things are fairly reliable considering they fire 1/4th the time of a 2 coil 1UZ.

John, going back to motorcycle COP's surely these wouldn't have a problem with the heat? Motorcycle engines get alarmingly hot and I doubt ther is much airflow where they would be?

Most/all of the motorcycle coils are designed for a CDI system which doesn't have the long duration charging current that an inductive system has. Unfortunately, the "good" CDI's are nearly as expensive as the standalone ECU's, and the less expensive ones are obviously less expensive for a reason judging by all the negative comments I've seen and heard about them.

Sooooo..... back to using an inductive system, but inductive coils work by getting charged up a relatively long time (dwell) at fairly high current levels, so they tend to run pretty hot, and if you overdo the dwell a bit, you fry the coils. So the combination of having to live down in the DOHC hellhole, and an inductive ignition running lots of current probably isn't conducive to a long life for the poor COP. Hmmm, sounds like I should be looking closer at those premium CDI systems.....

But wait, if you use the style of COP which is called a "plug top" COP, they put the windings of the coil in a potted module up on top, rather than running them through the body, as is done with the "pencil" style COP's that motorcycles run. So I figure if all the heat sensitive, high current bits are up on top, exposed to some air flow, and they're mounted on a nice aluminum heatsink, they should have a better chance of surviving. We'll see.

First I have to find some inductive type coils that are long enough for the job.

John, as always in true style you have answered my questions perfectly! Thank you! I shall shut up now! :D

I see where you are going with plan, sounds logical and sensible with the added bonus that you wouldn't then have to worry about getting COP's that are flush and allow the normal 'Toyota' or '32 Valve' covers to fit.

That's it - now I'm on a mission to find the right coils.

I've got samples of (4) different Toyota COP's arriving next week, and I'm off to the auto parts store to see if any of the local bubba's know what a COP for a Chrysler 300M is.

Good luck with the search, hopefully it will turn up something good.

Most COPs setup when used in an inductive ignition system only like around 2ms of dwell. Any more than this will fry nissan COPs etc even with the current limiting that ignitors perform. So make sure the person doing your tuning knows how to set the dwell correctly. With forced induction engines it can be a delicate balance between having enough spark and frying coils.

Be aware that the ferrite (magnetic material)used in some COPs is very fragile and will crack if you place even slightly too much force (when mounting them) on them which will pretty much hinder there performance to that of uselessness.
If the COP doesn't have a specific metal plate on it for heatsinking then just putting a metal plate against its plastic surface for the use of cooling will do pretty much nothing.

Here is a pick of the CBR COPs on a 1uz, but this engine has an Autronic CDI running them hence dwell isn't an issue.

Nice, i have the CBR CoP for mine...just need the budget to add the Autronic CDI now :)

Still impressed with the stock ignition setup, handles 17psi and 400rwkw no probs thus far

A CDI system is probably the better solution, but it's really annoying to have to pay nearly as much for a good CDI box as the whole ECU, and then to add insult to injury, most of the "good" CDI boxes out there offer only 4 channels, so we're back in the waste spark trick bag again..... grrrr.

Russell awhile back you were thinking of building a CDI box yourself. Did you ever pursue that?

Hopefully i will have a CDI ready to go soonish (my design/build). The design has been done for a few years now but i haven't built a full commercial unit, just a few custom ones etc. It should come in a fair bit cheaper than anything else on the market. Don't know if you can wait that long though.

Hopefully i will have a CDI ready to go soonish (my design/build). The design has been done for a few years now but i haven't built a full commercial unit, just a few custom ones etc. It should come in a fair bit cheaper than anything else on the market. Don't know if you can wait that long though.

Well, at the rate I'm going with this project I'm reminded of what George Burns told the young stock broker who was pushing him to buy futures options:

"Sonny, I really don't think these futures options are for me (tapping the ash off his cigar) You see, at my age, I don't even buy green bananas!"

If "soonish" for your box means a couple of months, no problem. Even 6 months would probably be OK. My near term goal is to get the motor ready for breakin on an engine dyno, and I can do that with a standalone Ford EDIS-8, or part of an EMS running in waste spark.

Getting it into the car, and all plumbed up and wired will take a little longer.

BTW, awhile back Autronic mentioned trying to reuse a bike's CDI box - any news on this?