"Coil on plug" coils for 1UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Discovered another COP setup. The coil shown in the pics below are form the 2000 thru 2003 Chrysler 300m and other 3.5L V6 Chrysler/Dodge powered cars. The coil does have to be modded slightly in order to work. It actually bolts right on, on the early 1UZ valve/cam covers. These coils would work well with aftermarket EMS that run sequential spark and also waste spark as long as you use a CDI unit due to there being virtually no dwell time involved with CDI units and there for no overheat problem associated with non waste spark coils being used in a waste spark setup.

great find there - they may be a more viable option for the US guys out there.

the honda stuff is worldwide - hence i can get them as new stock in Australia no problem. i daresay the ones you have found would be hard for me (and others in OZ) to get a hold of.

keep em coming i say - the more interchangeable parts we have listed, the better. :biglaugh:

Nice pics. someone had mentioned these coils once before, and they sounded interesting.

Have you confirmed they're CDI suitable coils?

John

yes, I agree they might be a problem for people to get in other countries.

As for CDI compatabillity, they were a big thing with the guys in the DSM comunity a while back, but everyone was having issues with them, but no one had hooked then up with a CDI unit. A friend has had them on his GSX eclipes with a CDI unit for about a year and a half and has had zero problem to date thus far and has ran 25psi on the dyno and runs 18psi on the street with this setup. I have spoken MSD and they told me that it would not create any problems. The guy at MSD also told me of a guy that he has seen using a AEM (8 channell) CDI unit on a Prowler (which also uses these coils) with no problems either. So my guess is that they are suitable for CDI use.

Aaron, If I missed it somehow I'm sorry, but did anyone ever figure out the problem with plugs for the honda coils and the screw off tip issue? I like the idea of the CBR coils, but because of plug issues I searched and found the Chrysler ones to work.

Attachments

• img_0250c.jpg
    img_0250c.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 12
Ok, I found another coil to use and this one should be avalible for people in other countries. It is a Toyota coil too. The OEM toyota number is 90919-02211. Its from the 94 and 95 Toyota Camry and Lexus ES300. This coil uses an external ignitor so its just a two wire and can also be used with a CDI ignition.

Sorry, didn't have the camera with me at the shop when I was checking fitment. I'll try to remember to bring it with me in the morning and get some photos.

i got my hands on some K24 coil packs from a 04 CRV, it looks like these are the coil packs ill try to use on my project.

DSC03666.jpg

DSC03667.jpg

Does the coil go into the head any further? It looks like it's sitting up about 7/8mm.

I also guess the covers won't go over them.

thats as far down as it will go but i might shave down the rubber boot a little bit to make it fit a little better, the contact spring has a bit of spring to it so it can drop down a little. i was helping a freind with his k24 and saw the coils and tryed them to test for fit and they fit really well, even with them sitting a little high the covers almost fit over them it looked like if i shaved out some of the molding, so with the slightly better fit and a little shaving on the inside of the covers they should fit nice. i will update this a little more this weekend.

Ok, I found another coil to use and this one should be avalible for people in other countries. It is a Toyota coil too. The OEM toyota number is 90919-02211. Its from the 94 and 95 Toyota Camry and Lexus ES300. This coil uses an external ignitor so its just a two wire and can also be used with a CDI ignition.

Sorry, didn't have the camera with me at the shop when I was checking fitment. I'll try to remember to bring it with me in the morning and get some photos.

Did you ever check this? I would like to keep everything Toyota/Lexus specific on my project. Thanks.

Chris.

Toyota part number query ?

I did a search for toyota number is 90919-02211 and the parts stores I looked at all came up with Part number F3000-64123 to match. When I opened the picture ( attached ) the actual part number on the parts look like 90919-02214. So my questions are - are 90919-02211 & 90919-02214 the same ? If they are not - are they both suitable for a high boost ( 20+ psi ) motor ? My Motec ECU tuner wants to sell me one of his units that has big blocky coils that sit on top. I use a Motec M4 for tuning. I was thinking of running these coils with a Motec ignition system. I'm not really up to speed with ignition systems - any suggestions / recommendations ? Thanks in advance.

In an inductive ignition setup, COP's, because of their smaller cores, do not deliver as many millijoules of energy as larger CNP setups. This becomes a real factor when you're doing waste spark, and the coils only have 1/2 as much dwell time.

On the 2JZ-GTE's with AEM's (running waste spark), we have had to resort to using ignition amplifiers such as the HKS DLI setup when running high boost and the OEM COP's.

If you're running waste spark, you may be better off taking your tuner's advise, or look into a V8 ignition amplifier, otherwise you'll have to gap down your plugs.

Here's some good information from Delphi's site on the energies available from COP's and CNP's:
http://www.delphi.com/manufacturers/auto/powertrain/gas/ignsys/igncoils/

Maybe a answer that I overlooked when I was reading this info, but do the late 1UZ COPs fit directly on our motors?

Attachments

• CIMG0246.JPG
    CIMG0246.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 26
  • CIMG0247.JPG
    CIMG0247.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 19
  • CIMG0253.JPG
    CIMG0253.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 18