"Coil on plug" coils for 1UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Very correct about when running in waste spark setup. I personally am using a MSD DIS4 CDI unit.

About the two different Toyota numbers, its a superceded number and therefor are the same ones, just different numbers.

The later COP's could be made to physically fit, but not worth the hasle, also IIRC, they have built in ignitors so therefor will not work with a lot of EMS's.

Autronic,

attached are some pics of the coils and the installation...
the last pics is of the part number on the back of the coil.
These coils, when seated to the oil seal in the cam cover, engage the spark plugs perfectly. The existing tapped holes are not the right distance from the spark plug well to use as the hold down for the coils or I would have "shaved the top side of the cam covers to fit the coils. The tops of the coils are at the same level as the top of the original spark plug valley, so I will be fabricating a different cover (one with ventilation so the coils don't overheat).

If you want more info, let me know...
Steve-o

do they work? i ask as they are the same as the ones that i have just taken out my IS200, I dont know much about "spark & ignition" setups.............if i use them coils, i take it i will have to use something like http://www.mwignitions.com/ to controll them, along with a good ECU like the linksplus G2/G3

Attachments

• electrical-fan-specs.jpg
    electrical-fan-specs.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 11
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

I NEED AN IGNITION MULTIPLEXOR!

If anyone one of you can find me a universal multiplexor (or multiplexer, depending on where you're from), I will be in your debt. I know Autronic has one, but they only advertise it to work with their unit (not that I blame them). This sucks. I don't want to run waste spark...or spend the 8K for a Motec!

HELP!

v8 IS200 Marcus,

I have an ECu that can handle 8 ignition outputs, that how it is controlled in my case. Converting early, twin distributor engines would require at least a 4 ignition output ECU capable of running wasted spark. For what it's worth the coils noted also list as the stock coils on 98?-2002? Landcruiser, so they have been used for a while by Toyota which should make us feel safe in using them in our applications.

Steve-O

v8 IS200 Marcus,

I have an ECu that can handle 8 ignition outputs, that how it is controlled in my case. Converting early, twin distributor engines would require at least a 4 ignition output ECU capable of running wasted spark. For what it's worth the coils noted also list as the stock coils on 98?-2002? Landcruiser, so they have been used for a while by Toyota which should make us feel safe in using them in our applications.

Steve-O

Thanks for that mate..............:)

v8 IS200 Marcus,

I have an ECu that can handle 8 ignition outputs,

Steve-O

Amen to that. Wish we were all lucky enough to have an EFI ECU and be able to run a "real" ignition system, not this hocus pocus waste spark stuff that's "almost" as good :ponder:

How are your LandCruiser COP's running these days? Still recommend them for 1UZ retrofits?

hey guys, for those of you worried about heat build up (mainly using the honda cbr600 f4i plugs which was 2001 to 2003 if you wanted to know) dont worry at all. they get little if no airflow on the bike and work fine.

im going to size up some gsxr 600/750/1000 cop's in the next few weeks and see how they look.

Heat is a major reason why the Nissan RB motors coils fail though... I think I will stick with leads for a while till the stock ignition fails at 600+WHP or whatever it is.

2 pin coils

I've got some CBR 600 F4i coils and they fit if you trim them slightly. They are just long enough. CBR 929RR are same as F4i 600 coils.
So what other 2 pin (CDI friendly) ignition coils besides the CBR F4i 600/929RR fit?
Looking at http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5294 dyno video I see he's using some kind of coil that is long enough. Any idea what it is.

It's been over two years since Autronic started this thread.

Who has their COP setup working? Whose coils did you use, how did they fit, etc.?

From the old posts it looks like a variety of coils were tried:

Landcruiser
Honda CBR (motorcycle)
Chrysler 300
Ford
2UZ/3UZ
Others?

People talk about heat being an issue but if they can stand it in motorbikes (engines can hit 105 degrees and not be a problem really), have little or no airflow and rev to like 16,000rpm are these not all the factors that would mean they should have not problem on a UZ motor?

and if 2/3UZ's are COP and have had no failures (any in boosted applications?) surely these would be the most logical choice? Are they not a direct replacement fit?

If you run COP's you don't need a ignition unit do you? or a dizzy? If you have a decent EMS, can it not run them all directly and without waste spark (depending on EMS of course)?

and if 2/3UZ's are COP and have had no failures (any in boosted applications?) surely these would be the most logical choice? Are they not a direct replacement fit?

Early 1UZ heads weren't designed for COP, but 2UZ and 3UZ were so they're different heads, different fit, but I'd like to know how "close" they are to fitting too. I'll be investigating this soon, but had hoped to learn from others what they've already used.

If you run COP's you don't need a ignition unit do you? or a dizzy? If you have a decent EMS, can it not run them all directly and without waste spark (depending on EMS of course)?

No dizzies - the COP's are crank/cam triggered, and use igniters (basically a big solid state relay) which are ECU triggered.

i got the coils i posted a wile back in this thread to work on a 3sgte driven with a AEM. if that counts, but i havent gotten to that point in my project to worry about it with the 1uz

I have an idea for COP's and am looking for some input/feedback. We all know the inductive ignition COP's suffer from overheating, so instead of covering them up, let's expose them; better yet, let's mount them on a finned heat sink, as you'd see a large power transistor done.

Look at the photo below, and picture those coils mounted on an extruded aluminum heat sink with a base thickness of 5mm, with fins perhaps 15 to 25mm tall. That would then take the place of the plastic covers which say "Toyota" and "V8 Four Cam 32".

The coils would stay cooler, and it "should" look pretty sharp.

What I need to determine now are which coils are actually long enough to do this. It would appear the Chrysler 300M's may be, as well as the Camry/Landcruiser coils.

What say you? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

I have an idea for COP's and am looking for some input/feedback. We all know the inductive ignition COP's suffer from overheating, so instead of covering them up, let's expose them; better yet, let's mount them on a finned heat sink, as you'd see a large power transistor done.

Look at the photo below, and picture those coils mounted on an extruded aluminum heat sink with a base thickness of 5mm, with fins perhaps 15 to 25mm tall. That would then take the place of the plastic covers which say "Toyota" and "V8 Four Cam 32".

The coils would stay cooler, and it "should" look pretty sharp.

What I need to determine now are which coils are actually long enough to do this. It would appear the Chrysler 300M's may be, as well as the Camry/Landcruiser coils.

What say you? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

that is exacly what i plan on doing for my 1uz i wont have the covers over them at all. let them be seen in there glory, this is how almost all race cars have theres setup as well for that same reason.

here is the 3sgte i just finished up with its denso coils

sorry for the Giant ass pic, aparenty you cant edit a post after 5 mins, it took about 5 mins to resize the pic so i guess where all stuck with my crazy ass huge pic. sorry.