bypass (get rid of) 1uz igniters?? help!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

B25

hey, Im working on a 1uz swap and Im trying to make the engine work without any ECU or digital programming.

I have run into a problem with the igniters that send power to the
ignition coil assemblies(at least im pretty sure thats what they do.)

the igniters are fired in time by a computer, and I wondered
if there was any way to use a standard ignition coil(or two) to bypass them?
just take off the igniter and coil assembly and then wire (and belt) up two ignition coils from 4 cylinder engines?

thats very vague, and I apologize, but I am sort of teaching myself this
stuff as I go.

thanks!

there are units avaliable to fire the coils using the crank/cam signals only as inputs or you could fit a distributor to the front of the motor. NZ stock car guys use these wth carbs. Many now are using a carb with aftermarket ignition ECU and VVti. Cheers

thanks gloverman!

if anyone has info on these units that fire the coils using crank signals, let me know!

thanks!

Last edited:
The Ford EDIS8 system is one standalone ignition that requires only a crank trigger to work, however it must have a 36-1 tooth crank trigger wheel, not the stock 12 tooth one.

Lextreme usually has a couple of these 36-1 trigger wheels available - you might drop him a PM and inquire.

With "just" the EDIS8 you would have fixed timing, in order to have adjustable timing it would require another black box, and that can be done with something like a MegaJolt Lite Jr.

I have run 2 x 1UZ's with this setup and a Holley 4bbl on an engine dyno for breakin. It's simple, and worked fairly well, although the manifolds I've used were not optimised for carburetors.

The last three items in that kit you either don't need, or they probably won't fit the 1UZ anyway:

VR Sensor (you already have one)
36-1 Trigger Wheel (this won't fit the 1UZ)
Fuel Pump Shut Off Switch (you need one, but not sure this is what you want)

Plus, that kit doesn't include a "black box" that I mentioned earlier that you need to be able to adjust the timing.

I would recommend that you do a search on eBay & just pick up an EDIS8 setup from there. The setup that you need is really just the EDIS8 ignition module with connector pigtail plus two coilpacks and the pigtails for them as well. Of course, you'll also need a set of secondary leads that will fit the 1UZ's plug wells on one end, and of course the Ford coilpacks on the other. Try http://www.kingsbornewires.com/. If they don't have something in stock, they'll probably make you a custom kit. Great people to work with.

And if you're going to use a carb instead of injection, you'll need to change the existing high pressure EFI fuel pump to something that puts out much lower pressure.

sorry for not answering I have been busy and back in school!

I did order a group off of ebay which contained the EDIS 8 coilpacks
and pigtails and an ignition module and pigtails. I still need the plug wires, which
I will probably order from aurora ignition wires, as they have the custom leads
listed on their site and I emailed kingsborne and never got a response.
I never got a response from lextreme either,

can I use just any old EDIS8 36-1 wheel?

also @cribbj, could you PM me or reply with a bit of info on the manifolds you
used for the 4bbl holleys?
I will be using a single 4bbl and I cant decide on how to mount it.

thanks!