Oil Filter Bypass or Block Bypass?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

EyesofThunder

Anyone know on the 1UZ-FE is the oil filter bypass in the block or is it in the filter only?

GM likes it in the block, I feel better and more reliable quality control there, being spin on filters you can get a wide range of quality and assembly, who knows if any good or not.....

It's in the filter. Toyota recommends/assumes you'll be using only their very high quality filters with internal bypass, not Walmart specials :)

Are they good filters? I use Wix now, figured can't go wrong with Wix.

Am wondering if I can use the big Ford filter, the FL1A (Wix 51515), it looks like it might fit in there.

Not sure what the bypass is set for in the Toyota filters, but if the Wix has a similar setting, plus an anti-drainback valve, I'd go for it. I wouldn't go any lower on the bypass setting for obvious reasons.

Personally, I've been running Canton Mecca filters recently on my other hotrod (the 550 Maranello) and like them a lot. No internal bypass - they're full flow, but I have a pair of their largest filters (6 1/4" inches long) running in parallel.

I would rather go with no bypass and keep it flowing good all the time, but would need dual gauges or something to monitor flow in/out to ensure no restriction. I guess it could be done! But this is my DD, so likely not going to. I haven't heard of Canton Mecca.

I was thinking of what someone else did, run a System1 main filter and then a bypass filter to get the small stuff. Then killer flow, bypass if you want or not. The 30 micron System1 flows 24 gallons a minute 5W30 or 60 weight.

My suspicion is the bypass is bypassing a lot when the engine is cold, and that is when the dirt has settled to the bottom by the pickup.

The Canton Mecca's will flow 46 gpm each of hot oil and I have 2 in parallel. Very little chance of restriction, particularly since I change my oil once a year or every 1000 miles, whichever comes first - and it's usually the annual change.

Amsoil make a bypass filter as you describe - I use it on the other hotrod (the supercharged 1UZ) with their remote adapter which has 2 spin on nipples - one for the bypass filter, one for a normal one. Check it out.