Standalone ECU Aftermarket ECU Reccomendation

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Sprinter,

Possum was killed in a road accident some years ago.

He was unquestionably New Zealands greatest rally driver.

Sprinter great to see you back as I haven't seen many posts from you for a while. Your project inspired me to get my sorted. One of the first ones that I found on the net. Also you took the time to reply to some of my emails which was great. Now part of my business is doing 1uz conversions and supplying parts in NZ and looking at australia next. Thanks for that.

I am not going to argue wether Motec is better than Link. Motec is the industry standard which other systems are measured against. They are a world leader and nearly always ahead of the rest. They also command a premium price.
Link offers excellant features at a price which is affordable for more people. Their new products are worlds ahead of what they had in the early days. The Possum link in my eyes was very basic but still worked well. We have just started receiving G4's so I will get more info as it goes avaliable. Our first one is going onto a 1uz with 8 throttle bodies and the next onto a 1uz hilux winch truck. Cheers

The 8860 does.. It was named 88 -8 ignition, 8 injector drivers.. With 60 wires .. So.. 8860...http://www.emsnorthamerica.com/8860.htm

Heard NO issues with AEM ECU its the ignition products from them...

I'm using the EMS 8860, but can't comment on how good it is other than all the reports from people on other forums who use it, seems to be a very underrated ecu. I got mine for a very good price, they reail for about $1700. What I do like is they are Aussie made, have continually updated their software to cater for new motors and have tons of features. When I emailed and rang them, they provided great friendly suppport and the unit now works with all the stock 1uz ignition and sensors without modification! You can download the tuning/logging software from their site and have a play with all the different options that can be programmed into it. It has an autotune feature built in and controls ac, watersprays, nitrous at different revs, temp etc. Tons of featres but still not a well known system with 2yrs warranty. http://www.enginemanagementsystem.com/. I picked mine up for $1200 on ebay.

And dealers around the world - even in South Africa.
Dean Widdop Racing 4 Hollams Road
Witkoppie Ridge
Boksburg
Gauteng South Africa 1459
Ph: +27 11 894 1182 or +27 83 522 8023

Email: [email protected]

Key Features http://www.enginemanagementsystem.com/ECU Specifications_files/Motorsport.pdf

Engine Protection System. All Motorsport ECUs have a configurable engine protection system that can minimize and in most cases prevent serious engine damage.
8 User Definable outputs. 4 outputs can be programmed as digital or PWM and the other 4 as digital only. These can be used for controlling thermo fans, Idle controls, variable cams, fuel pumps, Boost Control, Variable water spray, etc.
4, 6 or 8 Sequential Injector outputs with 4 to 1 peak and hold current control
4, 6, or 8 Sequential Ignition outputs (Coil-on-Plug)
7 Dedicated Analog inputs Water Temp, Air Temp, Lambda 1, Lambda 2, Throttle position, Manifold pressure and Battery volts.
9 User Definable Analog inputs for normal temp sensors, exhaust temperature sensors, Suspension movement sensors, G sensors, air flow meters, etc.
5 User Definable Digital inputs for Nitrous control, Two step rev limiter, air conditioner idle-up, etc
Stepper motor control. All Motorsport series ECUs have a dedicated 4 wire stepper motor controller which can be used to control 4 and 6 wire stepper motors.
Adjustable RPM and load points. The Motorsport series offers 96 RPM points with a 1 RPM resolution and 32 load points with a 0.1 percent resolution. This provides a tuning grid of 3072 points. Of course you don't have to use this many. You can define any number of RPM and Load positions you require to tune with. This provides non compromised tuning ability. The advanced micro code will perform a 3 dimensional interpolation between all load points.
Multiple Load Sensors. All ECUs in the Motorsport Series can be programmed to use 2 load sensors in cases where the engine may have 2 load measuring sensors such as 2 air-flow meters.
Connects to most sensors. This means that you can use your existing sensors with the Motorsport Series.
Advanced trigger circuitry. Automatically filters trigger inputs for noise ensuring that the trigger signal is always 100% accurate. This combined with the advanced auto signal tracking and true zero crossing detection with magnetic sensors always provides accurate timing at all engine speeds.
Advanced Micro Code EMS have put great effort in programming their micro code to ensure it stays in exact synchronization with the engine. This minimizes the risk of misfired and lean strokes therefore increasing engine life and providing more power. The system also performs a 3 dimensional interpolation between load points to ensure that your engine is getting what you tuned it to receive.

I have 3 cars in our family with different ecu's my personal car is Haltech E11v2 [Twin turbo 330 Dart Ford V8]with 482 rwkw.. The other is EMS 8860 [Turbo AU 4.0 sohc 6] 280 rwkw... Next is my sons CB80 controlled by Microtech [turbo Charade 3 cyl 12 valve 1 litre] 98kw at the wheels...
Had now issues with any of these ecu's.. The Microtech would be by far the cheapest and earliest ..
Haltech retails for around $2k .. EMS around $1600.. May require external ignition drivers depending what type of ignition?
I know the guy at EMS and trust me.. Most his profits go back into EMS...

Sprinter,

Possum was killed in a road accident some years ago.

He was unquestionably New Zealands greatest rally driver.

Yes I know, I met him just before he passed away.

Gloverman,

Glad I could help out, Its good to hear that you could use the info to enhance you business. My next conversion will be a 2ZZ into an 86. The 1uz was simple compared to the 2zz!

I understand what you say about the MoTeC products The reputation has been built on quality and service.