2JZGE Vs. 2JZGTE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I would like to know if the Lexus 2JZGE motor (SC300, GS300 & IS300) is a iron or aluminum block and how can you tell if the block (Externally) is GTE or just GE

David, all GE & GTE blocks are cast iron, and all have a casting mark on the lower left side that says "2JZ".

If you have just the small block, the way to tell whether it is GE or GTE is to look to see if it has the oil squirters or not. If the oil pans are still on the motor, for the GTE motor there will be a turbo oil return flange on the opposite side from the dipstick. See the photo below

cribb is right. The shortblock is identical minus the oil squirters in the GTE and are both made of iron. Externally, the oil pan should give it away!

Found 3 GE shortblock in a local junk yard. I need it was GE because not oil nozzels. No oil pan attached therefore could see the oil return.

Speaking of the 2jz-ge vs. 2jz-gte, i been trying to find out more differences on the web without such luck. I know that this is a v-8 forum and i have an sc400, but i'll shoot anyway. Can the 2jz-gte head be put on the 2jz-ge without extensive modification? I know the 2jz block doesn't have oil squirters (really doesn't need them) and that the pistons are different, i think they are forged, i just wander what compression they'd render with the 2jz-gte head. Also what would be needed to run the distributorless iginition? Would the sc300 ecu be able to handle this, and supra 550cc injectors? To understand where i am coming from i am considering on selling my sc400 (not the near future, maybe a year?) and finding an sc300 5 speed. NA-T's are making big street power without going internal, besides the head gasket. I ask about putting on the 2jz-gte head because the intake and exhaust ports are different on the ge therefore finding a decent priced turbo manifold is more difficult and the intake across the engine with charge piping right over the turbo is kinda weird and might heat up the charge, plus i bet the throttle body is smaller. Some crazy ideas: I found a rebuilt 2jz-gte head for $600, it says it includes original rebuilt turbos as well, i'm also guessing intake manifold. Is it possible to control the factory tt turbo sequential set-up in an sc300, could one swap a supra tt ecu into an sc300 and have it control the 2jz-ge 2jz-gte combo engine including the large 550 cc injectors, distributorless ignition, timing, and sequential turbo as it was in the original supra tt? Just some thought, sorry had to get it out, supraforums isn't accepting new members, plus i know you guys love toyota engines.

same block, same displacement... you should be able to if you got ahold of a Supra T ECU.

IMHO, there's little or no value added in getting a set of rebuilt twins with that head. If you wanted those things to work as Toyota intended, you're going to need a "lot" more hardware, like the VSV's, pressure tank, some miscellaneous check valves, filters, a different MAF, a different turbo pressure sensor, different engine harness, etc., etc.

I'd pass on that GTE head and put the money toward a good NA-T kit like BoostLogic or Dave Henry sell. Dave is the acknowledged guru on turboing the GE motor. PM me if you want his email addy.

John

I think you are better off with a new turbocharger that spools as quick as the overly complicated semi-sequential setup that was popular a decade ago. Garret GT turbos has changed that.

I would just bolt on the turbo.

They are expensive but worth it. And I dont think "spool" is the right term. Because the area to radius of the exhaust and all those other factors are still true. Seems like it moves more CFM of air at low speed, before it is at full boogie.