2JZGE Vs. 2JZGTE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
If you were to rebuild a 2JZ motor to support say 600 rwhp. Which block would you use and why? Besides the oil injectors is there any major difference between the two blocks?

David, from what I remember of 2JZ internals the oil squirters are the only difference in the two blocks.

The Supra NCF book says this "The cylinder block of the 2JZ-GTE engine is basically the same as that of the 2JZ-GE engine."

The casting marks are identical between the two - both blocks simply say 2JZ at the lower front, left side, so I'm inclined to believe perhaps oil squirters could even be added to a GE block, as you & I have both done to 1UZ blocks.

In terms of building a 600 HP motor, either block will do this without even breaking a sweat, but I'd still opt for oil squirters. It's OTT, but that's just me.

You can certainly buy 2JZ-GE engines much cheaper than the GTE's and turbocharge them. In fact, many of us who hotrodded Supras back in the day felt the basic GE head was setup better for responding to porting than the GTE head. The inlet & outlet ports certainly have straighter paths.

One disadvantage (for me) of the GE head is that it incorporated an ignition distributor, similar to one bank of a 1UZ. But as we all know, that would be easy enough to remove and block off, and convert the GE ignition to a static, crank triggered setup. This is assuming of course that you'd be running an aftermarket ECU setup, and not the OEM 2JZ-GE ECU.

But David, although a turbo 2JZ can produce cheap HP, it's still only a 3.0 liter motor, and face it, you'd miss that V8 torque down low :)

David, from what I remember of 2JZ internals the oil squirters are the only difference in the two blocks.

The Supra NCF book says this "The cylinder block of the 2JZ-GTE engine is basically the same as that of the 2JZ-GE engine."

The casting marks are identical between the two - both blocks simply say 2JZ at the lower front, left side, so I'm inclined to believe perhaps oil squirters could even be added to a GE block, as you & I have both done to 1UZ blocks.

In terms of building a 600 HP motor, either block will do this without even breaking a sweat, but I'd still opt for oil squirters. It's OTT, but that's just me.

You can certainly buy 2JZ-GE engines much cheaper than the GTE's and turbocharge them. In fact, many of us who hotrodded Supras back in the day felt the basic GE head was setup better for responding to porting than the GTE head. The inlet & outlet ports certainly have straighter paths.

One disadvantage (for me) of the GE head is that it incorporated an ignition distributor, similar to one bank of a 1UZ. But as we all know, that would be easy enough to remove and block off, and convert the GE ignition to a static, crank triggered setup. This is assuming of course that you'd be running an aftermarket ECU setup, and not the OEM 2JZ-GE ECU.

But David, although a turbo 2JZ can produce cheap HP, it's still only a 3.0 liter motor, and face it, you'd miss that V8 torque down low :)

Thanks John, I am thinking an IS300 Sportcross instead of a family van. Wife already has a SUV.

Here's an RX7 with N/A 2J engine with turbo fitted..
This engine was picked up from importers all the bolt on's fitted, turbo etc..
Std head and rotating assembly...
http://www.colombospace.com/Youtube/0BEv8Qu5HFM
He won Jamboree up in Queensland a few years back...
By this time I think he had fitted forged internals ..

Unfortunately Rocco crashed at recent test and tune here at our local
drag strip..Broken ribs and pelvis and still has some bleeding issues..
A nice guy hope him all the best in his recovery..

nothing wrong with the NA engine. brother has had one in his Corolla for 7-8 years, making over 1000hp. not a street car but has done over 300 1/4 mile passes and dyno runs on it. makes 900rwhp@36psi on E85 thru a Powerglide (turbo maxed out) ran an 8.0@174 best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C6-SUSoQLA

8.1 pass, NOS turned back on for some reason at 800ft and gas axed the head. only uses NOS for spooling turbo at the line. really made a mess, all fixed now will probably take out soon. was definitely on a mission that day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smmY3Rh_bOs