2JZGE Vs. 2JZGTE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
GE motors are like $500 and GTE motors are like $2,500-$3,000. The question I have is it really worth the money to do a GTE swap for those with GE? I think the amount of money you spend on swapping and upgrading, you can use that money and build up the GE motor and have some money left over.

Lets assume the budget is $10,000. Which would you prefer? GTE Swap or NA-T GE?

Some of the "big power" Supra crowd actually prefer to hotrod the GE motor. The heads flow better than the GTE's, and the block doesn't have the squirters, which, some believe, can increase the windage losses in the motor at high rpm.

Manifolding is a little more difficult with the GE motor, just because it wasn't as popular as the GTE, but DaveH (who's a member here) and others have stepped up and offer turbo conversions for it.

The only downside to the GE, IMO, is the distributor based igntion, but I'd think in this day & age, that could be converted to a crank triggered setup without a lot of drama.

If I were starting from scratch, and had the choice of the GE or GTE, given the price differential, I'd grab a cheap GE and put the money to good use somewhere else.

For a mid goal of around 400 hp, I think the GE is more cost effective. However, to go a little more extreme to about 700 - 800 hp, the GTE can be kept stock. More than this, everything else equals. I maybe wrong. That's just what I've read in the articles.

Trust me, it is NOT worth it unless you just want the V160 tranny...

I have a 97 SC with the GE and W58 tranny. If you got to clubna-t.com youll find decent turbo kits running as low as $1300 . Very cost effective and with a GTE head gasket, some ex piping and a boost controller, you have an easy 350+ horses without braking the $3000 mark. The only major issues of turboing the GE are the miles of piping required if there is an i/c setup while using the OEM intake manifold (GTE style manis go for another $1500 +. The OEM GTE mani does not fit). The second issue is the distributor like cribbj mentioned earlier. On some turbos the intake can interfere w/ the distributor. Re mounting the turbo with a moounted bracket helps....

another alternative is the smaller 1JZ, but you have wiring to deal with...plus its more fun to put in a turbo by youself!!

Trust me, it is NOT worth it unless you just want the V160 tranny...

I have a 97 SC with the GE and W58 tranny. If you got to clubna-t.com youll find decent turbo kits running as low as $1300 . Very cost effective and with a GTE head gasket, some ex piping and a boost controller, you have an easy 350+ horses without braking the $3000 mark. The only major issues of turboing the GE are the miles of piping required if there is an i/c setup while using the OEM intake manifold (GTE style manis go for another $1500 +. The OEM GTE mani does not fit). The second issue is the distributor like cribbj mentioned earlier. On some turbos the intake can interfere w/ the distributor. Re mounting the turbo with a moounted bracket helps....

another alternative is the smaller 1JZ, but you have wiring to deal with...plus its more fun to put in a turbo by youself!!
This is from a person who's been there and done that. So are you running that $1300 turbo kit? How is it?

^^actually no. I'm in college right now so money dont come very easily. Im diverting all car funds into a new suspension package so i can go club racing next summer. Cant have all that power without the control to keep it on the road.

I have been doing my research and so far the $1300 turbo kit has recived plenty of good reports and satisfied customers. I know a few people back home who have run similar turbo setups with good output results. just go to www.clubna-t.com, go to the XS power section and read all the good posts about it. plus if there is a problem, etc. mark seems like a very resourceful person.

Can someone tell me what cars these motors come in... I know the 2jz-gte comes in the 93-98 Supra tt's but that is all I know..

Can someone help me with a little needed info? If I had to guess the 2jz-ge comes in the 93-98 non turbo's and the 1jz comes in the earlier model supra's...Is that correct?

Can someone tell me what cars these motors come in... I know the 2jz-gte comes in the 93-98 Supra tt's but that is all I know..

Can someone help me with a little needed info? If I had to guess the 2jz-ge comes in the 93-98 non turbo's and the 1jz comes in the earlier model supra's...Is that correct?

2JZ-GE came with a Supra non-turbo trim and the SC300

1JZ-GTE came with JDM chasers and soarers, we did not get the 1JZ in any U.S. production cars.

2JZ-GE also in the Lexus GS300 and IS300 and the JDM Toyota Aristo.

2JZ-GTE also in the Aristo (actually before the Supra).

1JZ-GTE also in the JDM JZA70 Mk3 Supra.

The Chaser also had two brothers -- the Mark II and the Cresta. The MX83 Cressida is part of the Chaser family.

My bad, my question was covered in the above post...Thanks again for the info. and help... I never could remember those engine numbers and what cars they represent... All I know is early model 1UZ-FE (92-94 SC400 - SOARER) and 2JZ-FE 93-98 Supra tt.. I think that is all I really need to know considering those two motors are the best out of the bunch... Right?

I did not know the SC300 and non TT Supra 93-98 shared the same engines.. That does make sense..I would have thought that Toyota/Supra would have had a more stout motor sitting under the hood...Hmmmm? Again, learn something new everyday....

2JZ-GE also in the Lexus GS300 and IS300 and the JDM Toyota Aristo.

2JZ-GTE also in the Aristo (actually before the Supra).

1JZ-GTE also in the JDM JZA70 Mk3 Supra.

The Chaser also had two brothers -- the Mark II and the Cresta. The MX83 Cressida is part of the Chaser family.

(2JZ GE)... and Toyota Mark II and Toyota Crown and Toyota Progress

(1JZ GTE) ... and in Toyota Chaser and Toyota Cresta and Toyota Mark II and Toyota Verossa

Maybe more I am missing too.

For a mid goal of around 400 hp, I think the GE is more cost effective. However, to go a little more extreme to about 700 - 800 hp, the GTE can be kept stock. More than this, everything else equals. I maybe wrong. That's just what I've read in the articles.

I agree with you steve. If you planning on going monster power then it doesn't really matter much. Money is the main issue for building a monster motor. If mids power range I think the gte is a better choice since the motor are build to be boosted and can easily reach the goal.

Getting 400HP out of the GE will be bloody expensive. I sold one that powered the Supra, they are a big of a pig of a motor. Nearly doubling the output on an NA is not that easy when not FI'íng.

Attachments

• maxs single turbo.jpg
    maxs single turbo.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 19
Getting 400HP out of the GE will be bloody expensive. I sold one that powered the Supra, they are a big of a pig of a motor. Nearly doubling the output on an NA is not that easy when not FI'íng.
That's right. Doubling the power in an NA isn't cheap, but turbocharging it is cheaper and the way to go.

I don't think you can double the N/A power on that six banger... Very difficult on that motor.. You would have to have motor rev 10,000 rpm's to reach 400hp N/A style... You would probably have to do an engine bore too...

That should not even be a consideration, turbo charging is much much cheaper and realistic...

Bang 4 buck!

A few of the guys down my way have started 2 build 1.5JZ, 2JZ-GE block and a 1JZ head. Very cheap 2 build, good solid power with heaps of potential! all that is used is a decompression plate or a piston swap!

Well so i am told!