Finally Flywheel info

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
if one of these flywheels failed it would be due to a manufacturing flaw. Enlarging a few holes and machining off 1/4" off the back of the mounting surface is not going to effect the integrity.

Now if I was drilling new holes, that could be an issue.

If either of you guy's ever design an aeroplane - please let me know so I don't make a mistake and get on board !!

Do you have any technical expertise to back up what you think ?

There are older and wiser heads here that have seen the results of exploding flywheels/clutches, and it is never a pretty sight - even more so when there is blood and flesh lying around.

I make no apology for the tone of this post - I have seen what happens !

actually im a fully qualified aeronautical engineer of 9 years, and have experience in all manners of stuff.
it all comes down to some incompetent f**k wit who thinks he knows what he is doing and messing it up, if its machined correctly, it wont pose anymore of a threat than a custom wheel

Last edited by a moderator:
Well all I can say is "let the buyer beware'

Feel free to use one of these flywheels but each time you give it a good rev pull your feet out of the flight path of the shrapnel.

I've seen the result (as has Errol) and it sure isn't a pretty sight and it doesn't sound too good either. Screams of agony may suit you but not me.

Please note I have nothing to gain or lose by you using or not using a dodgy flywheel as hopefully the explosion will be in another country and not in the car in the next lane.

the result you seen, how was the flywhel machined ?
was it in an expensive CNC Mill, or done on a pillar drill by some yokel.
Ive got enough experience in stress and metal to know if its done right there wont be a problem, ive had brake discs redrilled many times and never had any of them fail.
Each hole is accurate to 0.04mm, in my industry, you need to be accurate.

Why do you think an SFI rating is required and a shield is required for certain speeds in racing? Because STOCK flywheels can blow up. That Mazda drivetrain in the vid was most likely unmodded stock.

So from now on everyone must buy only billet SFI flywheels for their DD. Anything else you will lose you legs.

Cast pressure plate doesn't help either..[If fitted]
They have the same rules on automatic cars also with shields etc...
Including std harmonic balancer which must be covered or SFI approved...

The engine builder I do business with will not accept an unknown, modified flywheel for any engine he's testing on his dyno. He still has a nice hole in one wall of his shop to show people who ask why.

I think what all of us are saying is that with all the other excellent, and not "that" expensive options available for high quality billet flywheels, why take the chance?

so in otherwords, NO CAST FLYWHEELS EVER!!!

This thread has turned into a bunch of scare mongers!

EVERY cast and billet flywheel goes though pretty much the same machining process. So if you have a flywheel with holes in it, you had better beware. Because at one point and didn't, and now it has been modified. Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.

Last edited:
SuperRunner, I think that's an unfair accusation. At least three experienced people have related known incidents where modified flywheels have caused severe injuries and/or property damage, and you call this fear mongering? Frankly, I would question your motive for that accusation?

Lextreme sells no flywheels, nor do we promote any particular brand, so we have no motive for being against flywheel modification other than the compromised safety. Anyone contemplating using this forum to sell modified flywheels is advised that the management of this site does not endorse or support this practice, nor will it be allowed here.

And a piece of personal advice to anyone thinking about selling modified flywheels; make sure you have plenty of liability insurance. One day, you're going to need it.

oh, one other thing.

The RX7? Probably revving to like 12,000 RPM. If you are shooting for that kind of RPM, and you haven't gone billet, thats your own dang fault. There is a limit to cast. I would after 8,000RPM I would most recommend billet. No stock cast flywheel should be taken past that, modefied or not.

SuperRunner, I think that's an unfair accusation. At least three experienced people have related known incidents where modified flywheels have caused severe injuries and/or property damage, and you call this fear mongering? Frankly, I would question your motive for that accusation?

Lextreme sells no flywheels, nor do we promote any particular brand, so we have no motive for being against flywheel modification other than the compromised safety. Anyone contemplating using this forum to sell modified flywheels is advised that the management of this site does not endorse or support this practice, nor will it be allowed here.

And a piece of personal advice to anyone thinking about selling modified flywheels; make sure you have plenty of liability insurance. One day, you're going to need it.

Again, fear mongering.

If done wrong(hand drill, or even drill press), yes, bad idea. If done right, no different than factory. As stated before, FACTORY flywheels by what you say, should also be considered MODIFIED, since they have been milled and spun using the same principles and procedures.

What if a MODIFIED crankshaft breaks causing the motor to seize up and the tires to lock up(manual transmission) which then sends the car out of control wiping out a group of nuns?

WHAT IF!!!

We can what if all we want. Question is, Pro racing sanctions don't trust UNMODIFIED STOCK parts, so for our DD cars, we shouldn't either?

I have an adapter to fit a Powerglide auto.. As with all these things..
I know the first few times it is revved on transbrake I'll be thinking of this...
Did I torque that bolt right ???
I have an RCI blanket and 6mm shield plus double skinned trans tunnel in that area..

If its DONE right there's no issues...
Ballanced after any work to check any issues...
Whats the flywheel made of and is it lightened etc ??
Often the clutch lets go and takes everything with it...
The centrifugal forces are too much when they change gear..

Hmm, interesting. Almost all the vids I could find on youtube of flywheels exploding have one thing in common.

ROTARY MOTOR!!!!

HMMMM, could 12,000RPM and factory cast have something to do with that?

Or are they all running MODIFIED flywheels?