Transaxle Options

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
The recent "Car of Choice for a 1UZ Swap" thread prompted me to investigate doing a 1UZ powered Lotus Europa. For those who don't know, this car was one of the more unusual mid-engined cars that has been produced over the years. It was thrown together by Lotus from a melange of production car parts and it gathered a cult following from the late 60's to the present day. I've always had a thing for the Europa - it's kinda like that young lady you "almost" took out in high school, but didn't, and always wished you had ;-)? The Europa has been out of production for nearly 30 years, but there are several specialty boutiques in the UK manufacturing "re-engineered" Europa parts and complete cars, and they'll power them with nearly anything you want.....for a price.

Anyway, having already made the decision that the powerplant will be a naturally aspirated 1UZ, with ITB's, the next major decision is the transaxle. The Hewland, Porsche, & ZF units are probably very nice, but I don't think the budget will permit. I've heard that "kit cars" use the Renault Fuego transaxle to mate up to a variety of engines and it seems to work OK. If anyone here has some actual experience with this transaxle, I'd certainly like to hear how it's working out and how difficult it is to mate up to the 1UZ.

I'd also like to know of other "reasonable" alternatives to the Renault - not pie in the sky stuff. Also, I'm hoping to stay with a conventional inline setup here - so please, no transverse suggestions - it would ruin the effect I'm after.

Lastly, if any of you are aware of good resources online, or hardcopy, for mixing and matching engines & transaxles, I'd appreciate knowing where to get more information.

TIA,

John

p.s. I sure wish I'd gone ahead and bought this d*mn thing 30 years ago, 'cause it's going to cost me 5x as much now!!!

cribbj:

You might want to have a look at Audi gearboxes/transaxles. All front wheel drive A4, A6, 100 and the 200 have a normal inline engine placements with the gearbox fitted to the back of the engine, one of these might be what you are looking for.

Back in the 70's the Eupropa was known as "the flying breadvan" due to it's rear end that looked like a van.

The Eurpoa used a Renault 16 engine but I don't know what box it used.

All Renault transaxles are incredibly strong.

If the Europa used a Renault box as well it would mean the drive line should fit and the rear mounts would work which only leave joining the box and engine and mount the engine.

I know of a couple of 206 Ferrari replicas in Australia running the Renault 30 transaxle without any problems. Engine is Dino 246 2.4 liter V6.

I used a Renault 12 transaxle behind a Renault 16TS engine (it had twice the power of the original engine) many years ago and it took it all no problem.

Citroen may be an option but I wouldn't expect to find any afternarket parts for it.

Do a search I know someone was chasing an adaptor for 1UZ/Renault about a year ago. I'd use this section of the Forum and search "Renault".

I've worked on a Europa fitted with a Porsche 911 engine and 914 tranaxle. A real ugly piece of engineering.

Attachments

• Extra Bit.jpg
    Extra Bit.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 107
Transaxels

hi Autronic, my project has a 1uz with the Audi 016 that is the box most of the gt40 people also go with, i posted some pictures, of adaptors etc a few weeks ago on the 21/02/05 have a look around that time search for lambo and you should find them, if i can help let me know.
Regards
Lambo

Cheers Autronic, Rod, Lambo..... Found the pics Lambo - it looks like a clean fit. If/when I meet with the fabricator, I'll discuss other options with him like this Audi box. In the past all or most of the cars have used the Renault box, but the biggest motor he's done so far has been the Alfa twin turbo V6. For sure more RWHP than an NA 1UZ, but I doubt it had as much grunt down low. Lambo, is your project a Lambo replicar?

Rod, I appreciate the background on the Renault box, and I'd forgotten that nickname the "Flying Breadvan" but it was so true. The Type 62S that I'm looking at is a lot more pleasing to the eye. I posted several pics to the "Candidate" thread, but here's a shot of one of these that is supposed to be there in Oz. It's a lot sleeker and meaner than the originals, but the "breadvan" heritage is still there.

Transaxels

hi Cribbj, Yes my project is a Countach Replicar, have the body shell , no Chassis as yet working on making it a 4 x 4 with the Audi Quattro box, could be a long project.
Regards
Lambo

Thanks awdmoke, will do sometimes it seems more like a nightmare than a masterpiece, seems three steps back one forward, if only there were more long weekends. All the locals say your crazy wanting awd, is't that what was said to the Wright brothers, i'll post pics when there is somthing to see.
Regards
Lambo

The Lotus builder and I are in discussions atm, and he's pretty switched on about doing this, however we need some good engine dimensions. I'm over in North Africa and won't be home to measure my own engine for at least another week. If someone has a 1UZ up on an engine stand, I'd be very appreciative if you could get some dim's for me:
OA length of motor, from face of flange that mates with bellhousing, to the most forward bit. This will probably be the go/no go deciding dimension for this project as there's only so much space between the flange of the Renault tranny and the bulkhead. I can't imagine that the 1UZ would be too much longer than a four cylinder Ford or Renault motor, but.....

OA width of motor

Height of motor from bottom of pan to top of cam covers, then remaining height from cam covers to top of manifold.

I'd like to have these accurate to within 1/2 inch if at all possible.

I searched this site and only found one general statement that the motor was basically a 700mm cube. Would really like to tie it down better than that if possible.

TIA,

John

Thanks Cobalt, very useful information. Another member PM'd me with a different dimension for the OA length - his was 635mm from the rear flange to the front of the crank pulley, with the radiator connections extending about 25mm past that. I assume his measurements were taken from a later engine, probably a VVTi; were yours taken from an earlier model?John

Hi Cribbj, i measured my 1990 soarer 1uz at 675 from rear b/h flange to face of nut on large idler above crank, this is the most foward there is.
Regards
Lambo

Just measured a spare engine.

635mm form rear flange to the front of the harmonic balancer.

I did notice the oil filter housing would make it around 650mm but this can be modified.

Thanks Rod, that's two measurements of 635mm out of 3-4 taken. That ain't bad!

David, if you're reading this, what about whipping up a special page or sticky and putting engine dimensions, component weights, etc. in it. After I made an initial unsuccessful search with too many key words, I went back and did one on just "dimensions" and found this topic keeps coming up.

Maybe if somebody is good with PhotoShop, AutoCAD or other graphic tool, the dim's could be put on engine photo's, an outline sketch or ???

John

Don't know if this is any use to anyone...

Auction closes Sunday....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=27916433

PORSCHE (4X4) G-50 GEARBOX and FRONT DIFF

5 speed, excellent condition, complete running gear right thro 2 front diff ,half shafts,hangers, suspension and disc's.

Have complete mounting system 2 attache a chev 2 the G-50 including quarter master button clutch,pressureplate, flywheel and throw out bearing as well as a quarter master starter if buyer is keen 2 talk. All bolts on2 box without changing anything on the factory bolt pattern (Unit will bolt a chev V8 in2 a Porsche 911). may sell separate if some1 keen

Only reason 4 selling is that we hav lost interest in building our hill climb project. May trade or deal if doesnt reach reserve

Perfect setup 4 the mid mount projects

Starting Bid - $4,000.00.............

Hi, just joined this site, looks very good, lots of great info !

Has anybody used the Audi transaxles mentioned ? I would like a G50 but the cost makes it prohibitive but I can get the Audi parts mkuch cheaper. Anybody know how much power they will take ?

Many thanks, Steve

Welcome to the site; there are a few threads discussing transaxles; just do a search with "transaxle" as the key word.

Also try here: www.gt40s.com. There's a complete subforum dedicated to transaxles, and the Audi boxes are a pretty hot topic for the reason you mentioned.

John