need mid mount transaxle

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
WTF...very useful Jibbles NOT

K - both the renault G50 (?) and porsche 911 transaxles have been used and i'm sure there are others. Use the search function and you'll find the threads on here that discuss.

ANy more details on your proj....love to see some Aussie kitcar action

lotus esprit v8 transmission has been used before too, keep in mind none of these will directly bolt up to the 1uz. im also wondering if a corvette C5-C6? trans could be made to work. its ment to have a trouque tube mated to it but i wonder if it could be modified to bolt directly to a motor.. if so this could open up a mother load of transmissions to use.

judging by this cuttaway it might be possable to add a belhousing.
chevrolet.corvette6speedmanual.500.jpg

ack closer inspection of that image, looks like the shifter input is right in the front above the troque tube. ack bad thing thats right where the flywheel would need to be, would need to see one in persion to know for sure.

Just need more of an offset BH Jake....i reckon that idea is worth pursuing as as you say a heap of trannies then become avail...and we know they can take big torque which is the worry with the other options.

With a long BH you could squeeze the flywheel/cluctch in. Either way will need a custom input shaft machined up

If you could modify a WRX transmission, that would probably take a pounding. You'd need to lock the centre diff or viscous coupling, whatever it has, so only the front diff (which is inside the transmission) is being driven.

If you could modify a WRX transmission, that would probably take a pounding. You'd need to lock the centre diff or viscous coupling, whatever it has, so only the front diff (which is inside the transmission) is being driven.

You reckon? The one thing a WRX is not known for is gearbox strength...they are dead set pissweak. Even the latest versions fail once you start some dedent engine mods, the early versions failed on stock engine power.

I'm not sure what spec the transmissions are in Australia. Come to think of it, if the AU spec WRX are the same as Japan, they have 2.0 litre engines.

In North America, the WRX has a 2.5 litre engine, tuned to 227hp. We also have an STi model, also 2.5 litres, tuned to 300hp. We have a 2.5 litre non-turbo Impreza, and those transmissions are said to be quite fragile, but I've always had the impression that the WRX transmissions were more robust. I'm not sure about the transmissions where you are, but ours were only 5spds in the WRX, which I think led to larger gears. Perhaps the 2.0 litre WRX are 6spds? Another thing, we never got a WRX model until the "bug eye" style Impreza in the early 2000s.

Hmm

Best to ignore my original post.

Transaxels

Hi you could go With an Renault un1 13 from a r21 turbo, i believe they will hold 350-400hp and many adaptors are already made here in nz, or like i am using a Audi 016 from a cd 100 good up to 350hp, with the audi its the sudden shock of a burnout that kills them but you can add a strenghtening plate that helps them survive and at $80 at the upull it you just by plenty of them.This page has lots of info and at the bottom they cover the beef up plate etc.

http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmission/5000/5000.asp
and
http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmission/Audi-shifter/Audi-Shifter.asp

Regards
Lambo

I'm not sure what spec the transmissions are in Australia. Come to think of it, if the AU spec WRX are the same as Japan, they have 2.0 litre engines.

In North America, the WRX has a 2.5 litre engine, tuned to 227hp. We also have an STi model, also 2.5 litres, tuned to 300hp. We have a 2.5 litre non-turbo Impreza, and those transmissions are said to be quite fragile, but I've always had the impression that the WRX transmissions were more robust. I'm not sure about the transmissions where you are, but ours were only 5spds in the WRX, which I think led to larger gears. Perhaps the 2.0 litre WRX are 6spds? Another thing, we never got a WRX model until the "bug eye" style Impreza in the early 2000s.

Hmm

The model just superceeded is 2.5 Ltr with 5 speed stronger than previous models.. The STI has the 6 speed [close ratio] with 2.5 engine..
Then there's the 6 cylinder boxer engine....
The new model is the same...

Had a close up look at a GT40 kitcar today, very smick. Anyways whatever transaxle the guy was running would do the job nicely.....he wasn't around to ask though :(

Yeah cheers Lambo. My thinking was that as the car was running a serious looking new skool BOSS engine they had a serious transaxle? Most of the common ones listed needs mods to hold together eh?

Yes it looks like you need deep pockets once you go past 400hp, there are lots of manufactures producing boxes that will take 600hp but not much change from 15-20k, on GT40s there is a guy called wanni he is a manufacturer, search for his posts, he is somewhat controversial but he seriously knows what he's about sells gearfox boxes, i don't think english is his main language he seems to say what he thinks and some people don't like that but very good info just the same.
another site on how to beef up an Audi is http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmission/5000/5000.asp at the bottom of this page and also
http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmission/Audi-shifter/Audi-Shifter.asp
the Renault un1 is the prefurred low budget box from the r21 turbo or a r25v6
hope this helps if you search on GT40s i have posted under lambo pictures of my flywheels adaptors etc for the Audi.

Regards
Lambo

It just so happen I blew out my automatic 1992 SC400 tranny just yesterday...Gave up the ghost again... This is my second tranny in two years and the second tranny was built up too..... I need a swap option asap as well...

I happen to read on another Lexus forum that someone mated the Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 tranny to an SC4 (1uz-fe) and it was an exact fit and match..No alterations needed, not one.....He had claimed he just needed to re-program the ECU to except the extra gear... It's a stronger tranny and if it's true that could be an option that many should consider as those trannies are plentiful... However, I am just a little skeptic as just I can't see the bolt patterns mating perfectly between the import tranny and American made tranny, and also I thought those Jeeps were AWD......

The thread looked legit and I am wondering if anyone heard of that swap option working?