THE Z06 VETTE may be the best bang for your buck

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Huh, I'm sorry but guys...... The Vette is the #1 car for resale Value period, American or Other Period.

You can't just go buy a Z06 at a Chevy Dealer for sticker. You either pay sticker and wait about 6 months - 8 months or pay way over sticker and buy it now.

My Favorite Vette was the Twin Turbo Callaway Corvette. Even though they broke alot.

Watch out, the insurance can be outragous !

PS: If I was gonna spend $20 Grand on my Lex, I'd give the motor to a NACAR engine builder. They know how to build V8's better that anybody in the world !

Folks,

It seems to become who's right or wrong in this matter. I only think it's an expression of opinion. Even though some of you might have corrected me, I still accept your input. However, I believe in what I know. But we have one thing in common. That's when we only aim for a better ride. :smileysex

It's not a right or wrong thing. There are X amount of cars. 1 of them has to have the highest resale value. The Vette by fact is it. My post was in no way directed to you or what you said. Just the facts.

It appears I am not the only one whom thinks highly of these new Corvette's...:icon16:

This is a little off topic, but a warning for all......Would you believe my harddrive froze this morning on my Toshiba laptop, Toast!!! Over one year of info, all pictures, saved data, etc.. lost in cyber space.. Had to setup a new hardrive, download all programs again, favorites, invoicing, you name it, had to set up an new account on this site too.... What a drag...:17: ...Remember guys always back up your data on disc, don't be lazy like me and lose it all..:34: Lesson learned...

jgscott said:
It's not a right or wrong thing. There are X amount of cars. 1 of them has to have the highest resale value. The Vette by fact is it. My post was in no way directed to you or what you said. Just the facts.
JG, I would agree that 'Vettes historically have a high resale value, but I wouldn't say they're #1, and neither would KBB or Edmunds.

It is, however, the only American domestic to consistently make it into the KBB/Edmunds top ten list for resale value.

I take a contrarian view on cars that sell for more than the sticker. If you buy a Z06 with a $60K price tag, and have to pay $5K more than the sticker, and it's worth $40K after five years, you've lost $25K in depreciation.

If I buy a Lexus with a sticker of $60K, but I get it for $5K less than the sticker, and it's only worth $35K five years later, then it's only depreciated $20K, and I'm still $5K ahead of the 'Vette. Of course this is only hypothetical, but it illustrates why people should never pay sticker price, much less more than sticker for a car if they're really concerned about retaining value.

In my community, 'Vettes, Porsches and Hummers are as common as Civics, and people don't give them a 2nd glance. What's really funny is the attention that my 9 and 12 year old Supras get. I am constantly being flagged down on the road, or stopped in parking lots or gas stations by people wondering what these cars are, and commenting on their great looks. Exclusivity is worth a little something too :veryhappy

John

ChrisV said:
Flaw in your logic. If you start with a used Supra worth $30k, and you sink $30k into mods, you end up with a Supra worth $30k when you try to sell it. Mods barely count in resale value. You MIGHT add $10k in resale value, but you'd still be out $20k, while a limited edition Z06 will not lose the $20k very fast.
I don't know whether you're really into Supra cars or not, I only know that you don't lose $30 with mods. If you have time, you should check with those Supra fans, forums, car sales...etc. You'll definitely see those for sales Supra with mods are not cheap. They are sold for up to $100,000 pretty quick.***However, keep in mind that the mod builders gotta have reputation and not some junk builders. I, myself used to build turbo systems for Honda/Acura and to be honest, I never lost any the total $$ in mods. The worst was that I could only get even.

ChrisV said:
On top of that, there's a reason Vettes are used for HPDE days, road racing, time trials, hill climbs, autocrossing, etc., by guys looking for ultimate performaning cars, and almost no one uses a Supra for those things. Porsches, yes, Ferraris, yes, Vipers, yes, even Mustangs and Camaros, RX7s and NSXs. But not Supras. It's not a matter of cost. It's a matter of being the best tool for the job, and in traditional and current sports car venues, people who can afford to run Supras almost invariably run other cars. Supras are left as dyno queens that make big hp numbers but don't really deliver on their promise. In fact, lower hp, automatic Supras tend to be just as quick in import drags as high hp versions.

If you watch real races such as from Grand Tourismo to Import Races, in U.S., Europe, or Japan, you'll see Supras for sure. They even race with Ferrari, Corvett, Porches...etc. You name them. I watch a lot of races on cable TV, read magazines...They're in a lot of performance events.

[color=black said:
shadetree]92 Acura NSX ex cond, 60k= $25K
92 Vette ZR1 ex cond, 60k= $27.2K
New, the NSX sold for $10-15k more than the vette too.
[/color]
These are on average condition with 50,000 miles.
92 Acura NSX: $25,295 or 98 Acura NSX: $43,225 link: http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ucp?kbb.CA;;CA059;&92840&;253245&;;ucp;&9;AC;C2
98 Supra Turbo: $28,610 link: http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ucp?kbb.CA;;CA059;&92840&;193282&;;ucp;&9;TO;B9
98 Corvette: $22,250 link: http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ucp?kbb.CA;;CA059;&92840&;502927&;;ucp;&9;CH;I2
NEW '05 ACURA NSX: $88,867 link: http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ncop?kbb.CA;840096;CA059&92840&&;;nc;&5&05ACC2_TM;060303
NEW '05 CORVETTE: $40,218 link: http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ncop?kbb.CA;241449;CA059&92840&&;;nc;&5&05CHI1_CP;060303

Jgscott said:
It's not a right or wrong thing. There are X amount of cars. 1 of them has to have the highest resale value. The Vette by fact is it. My post was in no way directed to you or what you said. Just the facts

Check the links above and you'll see your facts are not right. And you should compare an apple to an apple.

The Vette is a really nice car and I like it alot, perhaps my dream car, too. But if you folks keep saying the Vette's re-sale value will beat Import sport cars, I don't know where you got that from. Partial reason is because none of the American cars are reliable in the long term after 3-5 years. This statement is in every consumer report book.

And I also like the idea of David that "nothing can beat the smell of new car"...Agreed. I just can't imagine to smell any previous owner's leaked gas...:ninja:

If you like a car with no oil in your hand, then the new Vette with full warranty might be the right choice.

John,
There's nothing more happier than you could get what you want. And the most important thing is you can enjoy the most out of your hard earned $$$.

stevechumo said:
I don't know whether you're really into Supra cars or not, I only know that you don't lose $30 with mods. If you have time, you should check with those Supra fans, forums, car sales...etc. You'll definitely see those for sales Supra with mods are not cheap. They are sold for up to $100,000 pretty quick.***However, keep in mind that the mod builders gotta have reputation and not some junk builders. I, myself used to build turbo systems for Honda/Acura and to be honest, I never lost any the total $$ in mods. The worst was that I could only get even.
Riiiiiight.

Top Gear vette test. The cheap one, not the z06.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4ypR5xPxYss&search=top gear corvette

Guys, Give me a break ! You both keep taking 1 model year and comparing prices of 1 model, of 1 year. What I said was the Vette has the 1 # resale value of all cars period. I meant overall thru out the years. Vette's have been around Way longer than , Supra's or NSX's.

Useing your example's depends on you comparing a certain year. That's like saying let's compare a 69 Vette to a 69 Supra or NSX. Something that does not exist is worth $ 0, nothing. OK compare a 78 Rag Top Vette to a 78 Datsun 240Z. BTW there are only 2 real book's that are used for car Value by dealers and banks. Neither of which is KBB or Edmunds. It's Black Book or NADA.

Another Fact : Something is only worth what someone will actually pay for it. You can Value or set a asking price of anything for anything. What you can actually get cash for it is a different story. It's called ACV ( Actual Cash Value )

Something else you forgot in comparing 1 year of used car value NOT overall model resale value is. What the Supra cost brand new in 98 or NSX VS what the Vette cost ?

Well, I must say in all my years of owning a car dealership in the past, it is true modified cars did not sell well or for any more money then stock in most all cases. From experience the masses are looking for a nicely cared for stock car that drives quiet and smoothe. Even After marker rims brought down the value of a stock car, re-paints were not always good either.

Example: I had sold (2) 3000GT Turbos both the same model, year and color (red), however, one was modified and the other was stock, the modified one in my opinion was nicer looking and had 20% more power then the stock one (exhaust, intake, chip,etc..), drove great and had slightly lower miles.. It was clean and fast, had after market gauges and rims... The stock car sold faster and for over $1000 more. That happen a few times with these modified cars...

There was an exception, the only Cars or Trucks that sold for more with performance and or cosmetic upgrades were the older 4X4 trucks like the Ford Bronco's, or Chevy Blazer's. For some reason with larger tires/rims, exhaust, etc.. those mods only brought up the value of the 4x4's... I would buy a Ford Bronco stock for example and replace the small stock rims/tires with aluminum rims and 33" tires, then paint the truck black and literally it would sell for around $3000-$4000 more then in its stock condition... I did that with atleast 10-15 of those trucks and the results were always the same everytime. Black color paint and big tires would really move the trucks fast and for top re-sale $$$$$...

From what I can remember the Vettes did actually hold there value very well, even though I only bought and sold just one, but I do remember the pricing of them... The Toyota's always held their value the best, Camery's, Corola's, 4 runners, Land Cruisers, etc...

jibbby said:
Well, I must say in all my years of owning a car dealership in the past, it is true modified cars did not sell well or for any more money then stock in most all cases. From experience the masses are looking for a nicely cared for stock car that drives quiet and smoothe. Even After marker rims brought down the value of a stock car, re-paints were not always good either.
Exactly. Try it anywhere, and a modded car, while it may bring mroe than a stocker, does not bring back the cost of the mods by a long shot. 1) the mods limit the market reducing cvalue, 2) the modded parts are now USED, reducing their individual value, and 3) no matter what you say, a prospective buyer is going to think that you used the car hard, otherwise you wolon't have made teh mods. And a car used hard is valued less.

I've seen a lot of guys ASK high prices for their modded cars, but 99% of the time, they are not going to get but a fraction of their asking price.

it sucks, and I hate it, but that's the facts. I had a shop building street rods, customs, and racing sports cars. Iv'e delat with serious high end stuff (like modded Ferrari F40s and Porsche GT3 race cars). $60k into a $30k car will net you a slightly over $30k car, no matter how nice the mods are, unless it's a serious one off handcrafted car by Coddington or Foose.

Attachments

• IM001656.jpg
    IM001656.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IM001657.jpg
    IM001657.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IM001659.jpg
    IM001659.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IM001655.jpg
    IM001655.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 3
stevechumo said:
I didn't say you'd lose $30k with mods. I said you aren't going to get back those $30k in mods. You MIGHT get back $0k, if they are done right. Period. Doesn't matter if it's on a Ferrari, Porsdhe or your Supra. Supras aren't magical, and they arent that valuable.

[/font][/color]
If you watch real races such as from Grand Tourismo to Import Races, in U.S., Europe, or Japan, you'll see Supras for sure. They even race with Ferrari, Corvett, Porches...etc. You name them. I watch a lot of races on cable TV, read magazines...They're in a lot of performance events. [/quote]

The moment you said Gran Turismo, I knew you were a magazine racer/gam racer. I've been involved in road racing for over 2 decades, not just playing it on my PS2 or reading magazines. You see them in Japan, but that's about it. ANd interestingly one of the most successful Supras in road racing in Japan uses a modded 4 cyl, as it's allowed to be lighter.

The Vette is a really nice car and I like it alot, perhaps my dream car, too. But if you folks keep saying the Vette's re-sale value will beat Import sport cars, I don't know where you got that from. Partial reason is because none of the American cars are reliable in the long term after 3-5 years. This statement is in every consumer report book.

Nice statement, but it doesn't back up actual experience. Hell, Iv'e had American cars that were 40 years old (and in fact, the current project car is a 42 year old American car that still is running and stil has it's original engine...). I've only bought American cars new, and ALL of them ahve been perfectly reliable with ZERO problems. I've owned many, many imports, in fact, the majority of the hundred plus cars I've owned over the last 27 years have been imports (I have three right now). But I can tell you from that slightly larger sample, you're wrong.

There's a reason there are hundreds of thousands of repair shops doing big business repairing broken imports as well as domestics. Cars break and where a car is from is no guarantee of it's reliability.

Hell, my '81 Chevy Citation had 323k miles on it when I finally gave it away. And those cars suipposedly don't last at all.

John,
There's nothing more happier than you could get what you want. And the most important thing is you can enjoy the most out of your hard earned $$$.
And that is the best advice anyone can get, or live by. Buy what YOU want, not what someone ELSE wants. No one here is MAKING your money, no one here, including myself, should tell you what to SPEND your money on. 'Cause if you aren't happy with it, then it doesn't matter how many people here liked it.

i'm still not a fan of most things GM. they have such a backward way of thinking in regards to "development".

pushrod V8s are coming up to their 70th anniversary. great - they've been a successful and reliable engine. but efficient? no. definitely not. when you need to use cubes to make power you might as well slot an industrial diesel in between your strut towers.

I guess out of all that has been said so far, I just realised the best deal you can probably get on a fast car is someones else's modified car that has been for sale for a long time... The problem is nobody knows the modified car better then the owner whom modified it himself, and most people are weary that the owner could be selling the hotrod for another reason then "I need the money" there could be potential problems..

I think many people with big cash whom are looking for a fast car to purchase aren't "mechanic savy" and would be scared to purchase a modified car for the simple reason that the car has been driven hard and has been under alot of "stress" and may break down frequently.. Many people are not willing to drop thousands of dollars on a potential headache... Hence the owner of the modified car is ruined every time and in order to sell he or she must eat the loss most every time...

I experienced that many years ago when selling my old 1974 Toyota LandCruiser with a built Small block Chevy in it, suspension, exhaust the works. I ended up selling that 4X4 Cruiser for what a normal Cruiser stock would sell for.. I almost cryied letting that car go for $3500, when I thought is was worth $10,000...

That is definetely something to think about...

ChrisV said:
I didn't say you'd lose $30k with mods. I said you aren't going to get back those $30k in mods. You MIGHT get back $0k, if they are done right. Period. Doesn't matter if it's on a Ferrari, Porsdhe or your Supra. Supras aren't magical, and they arent that valuable.
It seems as if you never did car modifications to make benefit. Nobody would pay $$ to lose % like you said. I've already mentioned that depends on the car builders. If nobody knows you, so why would they trust those modifications that will last under extreme condition. But if you have your reputation, that's a different story.

ChrisV said:
The moment you said Gran Turismo, I knew you were a magazine racer/gam racer. I've been involved in road racing for over 2 decades, not just playing it on my PS2 or reading magazines. You see them in Japan, but that's about it. ANd interestingly one of the most successful Supras in road racing in Japan uses a modded 4 cyl, as it's allowed to be lighter.
I don't play games and I don't believe in games. Period. I'm over 30s and I've been around working on cars for more than 10 years. I've just recently quit for more than a year but still been doing a lot of researches about cars. I don't know everything, but I only say what I did, saw, and heard for real.

The moment you say Supras are not in serious performance events, I knew you don't know about Supra or about real car performance, or perhaps not updated with the current events. I'm not a crazy Supra guy, and I don't believe Supra is the best car. Period. All I'm pointing out is what I think is worth to me at the current situation, although there're many other good alternatives.

I only agree with you that Chevy might be the best American car of all time. However, I only know that they're never listed as reliable and value-hold cars comparing to import cars. I got a close friend who has been working on American cars for his whole life, especially his Chevy El Camino recently. But he never thinks that Chevy is that reliable comparing to import cars.

ChrisV said:
Hell, Iv'e had American cars that were 40 years old (and in fact, the current project car is a 42 year old American car that still is running and stil has it's original engine...). I've only bought American cars new, and ALL of them ahve been perfectly reliable with ZERO problems. I've owned many, many imports, in fact, the majority of the hundred plus cars I've owned over the last 27 years have been imports (I have three right now). But I can tell you from that slightly larger sample, you're wrong.
You might get lucky when your cars don't break. Or perhaps only the doors are not open correctly when you needed it to do. It's really hard to predict what cars will break down before other cars. It's because there's nothing that's perfect. I've seen a lot of brand new Toyota cars in Toyota dealers being rebuilt.***However, when we compare about cars, we only compare the percentage of cars that are more likely to break down. What I'm saying about reliable cars is the fact and most of us already knew. So I think it shouldn't be anymore arguments. It's not worth a dime.

jgscott said:
Huh, I'm sorry but guys...... The Vette is the #1 car for resale Value period, American or Other Period.

You can't just go buy a Z06 at a Chevy Dealer for sticker. You either pay sticker and wait about 6 months - 8 months or pay way over sticker and buy it now.

My Favorite Vette was the Twin Turbo Callaway Corvette. Even though they broke alot.

Watch out, the insurance can be outragous !

PS: If I was gonna spend $20 Grand on my Lex, I'd give the motor to a NACAR engine builder. They know how to build V8's better that anybody in the world !

About the resale value, Im gonna have to disagree. You mentioned that you can wait 8 months to pay sticker on a Z06, if you want a F430 spider, you will wait 6-8 months just to pay 100 thousand over sticker. As for resale value, the Ferrari enzo sold new for about 660 grand, now the cheapest you will find one is 850 thousand, in nero it goes up over 1 million. I think it has ya on resale value.

Also, the 360 modena that stickered at 150 grand in 1998 goes for over 100 grand today, now thats resale value! Its even been replaced by a newer model and still goes for 100.

Another benefit to a stock corvette versus a modded car is how easy it is to pass inspection and emissions. Given the current trend of American legislation in regards to automobile modifications, I don't forsee myself purchasing another car with the intent to modify again. This is one of the reasons I refuse to consider California as possible future home and why Florida is so enticing.

For now, I'm waiting for my lexus to pass the 20 year mark so I can be exempt from inspections.

Z06 rips everyone a new one...

jibby said:
Guys, I am Lex man at heart, but I must be honest I have got my eye on the Z06 Vette, at $60,000, 500hp, 7.0L, 11.5 in the quarter, and 7000rpm range it is tough to pass on.. I love my SC400 and will keep it and build it, but man I had a chance to look over this Vette yesteraday while on holiday/vacation and these new Vette's are simply impressive....What do you guys think? Looks decent, fast, and priced reasonable for that type of car... Is it a sin to consider that car for purchase?
The Z06 is the baddest stock production out there. Move over Ferrari boys...
:mischievo

Marquise said:
The Z06 is the baddest stock production out there. Move over Ferrari boys...
:mischievo
Agreed. It's Pretty Hot And Tempting. Its price, body, and performance are best for a stock car. However, I'd like to add a set of (4) 19" aftermarket rims on it. I like silver rims with polished lips and rivets on the lips. Its stock height is nice but I've seen some lowered Vettes. They look even hotter. I've recently read an article in the Vette magazine and seen a Vette with nice modified side skirts.