The true sleeper...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jibbby

I came across this and it's truely the ultimate sleeper...This 300hp+ old beat up VW bug ran cirlcles around the new GT40 Mustang and the M series BMW's..

If this little pig pulled up to me on the streets, I probably wouldn't even look over at it unless I heard it rumbling....Next thing I would know I would be trying desperately to keep up with it..... Sleeperology at it's best...

The poormans speedster... He stated he built this little beast all for $1500USD - Alot of custom work though, welding, fitment issues, all junk yard used parts mostly, engine and bug too..

Just laying down a few ideas for the low budget builders.....

wow those pics are old. film camera ftl

looks neat but ide rather have a 930 motor wouldent quite be as sleeper but atleast the back seat would still be usable.

Yeah, but a 930 motor and car wouldn't be $1500USD with a back seat too...Shoot, I want a toilet made out of gold, but it's just not in the cards..

Personally I wouldn't be to thrilled about driving this old bug around either.. The article and pic's that I read on this build could be very old..That I do not know, I just liked the story and pic's.....

Unlike Jibby I think it would be a blast to drive.

No fun stopping (drum brakes) but it's mid engined, light and would have 250-300hp.

The swing axles would make cornering interesting but if you've driven swing axle cars there is a technique that gets you around corners quickly, the right side up and facing the correct way.

Zuff - I didn't say I woundn't drive it occasionally for laughs and kicks...Fast is fast, and that I like...:smokin:

Now (Rod) Zuffen, I honestly couldn't picture you driving this old bug around town with your wife in the passager seat, and both be happy about it..... How could one go from driving elete Porsche's and Merc's to this old sleeper bug? I think not Roddy..:nono: After all where would you fit the kids or grand kids for gods sake? Strapping junior on the roof is not an option... If you could do all that with a smile then you are truely a better man then me...

I want your autograph Rod if that's the case....:notworthy:

PS. With the engine being in the back seat basically one would think it would become just a bit toasty in side the cabin while driving..Good for winter, hell for summer I guess...

Curious, how is that engine properly being cooled with the radiator and single electric fan being positioned in the rear of that bug?...Where would the pass thru cooling air come from? Hmmmm? Maybe a ground air scoop or something perhaps..

Also I think good drum brakes on a light weight car would be doable...You may however get a little pull one way or the other when fully braking...

Here is another sleeper pic of an old iron block caburated V8 powered mini van for your enjoyment and imagination..... Put normal sized tires on the rear and this might take the gold for fast sleeper awards... I would like to see this mini van go heads up with the bug in a race and see who would win?

Umm ?? To be stealth it should have same wheels all round so it looks like FWD.. Dissy front and even exh port spacing? I assume its a Ford Windsor ??

Jibby,

Yes I would drive the beetle (bug to you Americans) as I think it would be a lot of fun.

I've driven some pretty ordinary cars in my time.

I've had around 10 Renaults and a few Triumphs, I even drove a Renault 12 to Birdsville in 1983 (which for Aussies is real rough and be brave stuff) which is like crossing Baha in a basically standard car with 5" ground clearance!

I like knocking around in dirty jeans and just being normal. Just because we have nice cars doesn't mean our heads are stuck in a place the sun don't shine.

Don't think a nice car or house changes where someone came from. Think about Uncle Jed and Ellie May. No on second thoughts don't think about Ellie May, this thread may deteriorate!

Well said Zuffen...

I must admit you are truley the better man then I, no dought....

Beetles for everybody I say!!!!... I personally couldn't do it.. Call me shallow, call me spoiled, call me what ever you want as I am good with that, but give me the damn Porsche, Merc, and the big house on the hill and I will smile ear to ear baby!!!!!.. Keep the old school fast beetle's, bug's and what not, it's all you buddy......

I'll take a fast mini though...I've always liked the mini's for some reason.. Beetles just scare me for safety reasons alone, and I don't get scared easily...The longated dashes are just bizzare.. Even the newer beetles are junk to me, I recently rented a new beetle with 30,000 miles on it, a true rattle box, gutless, tin can with wheels and basically akward auto garbage...I couldn't wait to return it...Just my take on the beetles....

Also, my buddy had an older beetle and also an old classic Carmen Gia when I was a teen, they both broke down more then a old Ford with 200,000 original miles.... My buddy and I at the time were always wrenching on that small gutless VW motor located in the back...Always...

These I guess are old pics on the VW.. At least someone has had a go at fabrication etc getting this together..He may have gone on and built some more appealing cars.. The handling may not be that bad due to being midmount, the original boxer was hanging out the back...

i vouch for rod there hell even get down on the ground and help find a problem with your car, plus from what hes said to me he finds his merc boring because its new and reliable

Although, the 88 Supra's may not be sleepers in some countries, here in the States this Supra as shown in the poor quality pics below is sporting 400whp and would be a true fast sleeper on the streets...

I also think some of the early model 1980's LX Ford Mustangs when build up some are sleepers as well..I got beat by an ugly one once... A shocker...

Come to think of it, I guess my 1992 SC400 is a bit of sleeper too... I suprise alot of folks with my ride when racing win or lose.

Supra - Notice the fuzzy dice and steering wheel cover, makes one wonder if the owner is Black, Mexican or really Asian as shown in the pic? Hmmmm?

The ultimate sleeper is 1JZ-747.
A 10sec Cressida that looks like a grandparents car.

The only hint its got something a little extra is the intercooler... but even thats not very obvious.

DSC_1608.jpg

as we speak im cressida shopping, tho im looking or an mx73, the previous model to the one pictured. my long term plans is a 1jz swap and ill always keep it looking on the DL, not so much to be a sleeper but so i can have somthing fast but cops wont take notice.

9 and 10 second Cressida's that look like the one in the above picture would take the prize...

However I must say - Those quarter mile times seem a little exaggerated to me for a car that looks like that..... Can you even run those times with stock Cressida wheels and rims? 9 seconds come on, that's smoking????????

9 and 10 second Cressida's that look like the one in the above picture would take the prize...

However I must say - Those quarter mile times seem a little exaggerated to me for a car that looks like that..... Can you even run those times with stock Cressida wheels and rims? 9 seconds come on, that's smoking????????
Yes it does... Don't know how streetable it is now though ??
The good part about turbo engines is boost / power can be turned down for street as there is no way street tyres can handle that power level!!
Gear ratio's don't have to be short for quick 1/4 mile times..

Status
Not open for further replies.