True Duals

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

kennedog90c

Hello I have an exhaust question. Has anyone tried doing true duals on the SC400 eliminating the x or y or h piping? Is the sound different? Would doing this have any positive or negitive issues concering anything related to the engine or any other part of the car? Thats all I can think of now thanks.

Find video clips of the World Challenge Cadillac CTS-V and compare them to clips of the World Challenge C5 Corvette. One is not running an X-pipe but both are running the same engine and dual exhaust pipes.

As I understand it, an X-pipe is designed to improve mid-range power. An H-pipe is a cheap version of an X-pipe. A Y-pipe just reduces the cost because less overall piping is used.

On the other hand, I'm not convinced that a properly built single exit exhaust with Y-pipe is any worse than a good quality dual exhaust setup. The problem you run in with a Y-pipe is the need to run very large piping for high horsepower applications which can cause fitment issues.

Just like merging the 4 primary pipes from each head into a single collector... the joining of the secondary pipes can boost performance. It will not damage your engine to run 2 separate pipe but it will lower your performance in low and mid RPM and probably will not add any at peak RPM.

There are multiple theories and reactions to differnet merge styles be it X or Y or H and many variations of each of those. X and Y are typically interchangeable for power but that is comparing optimizes designs. Simply saying one is better than the other is not enough as there are too many variables. Just like a any change to a trumpet, clarinet or other wind instrument changes the sound and performance so does changes ANY changes to the exhaust.