The search results for speed. money and looks...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
John,
I'd really appreciate your thread about bringing up the Z06. It turns me on all the way and motivates me to boost my ride harder. I thought about boosting my SC at 12 psi, but I think I'll boost it at 15 psi to make the Z06 crowd show some respects to a 13 years old car. But hey, if you like the Z06, it's not a bad choice for the performance wise. It can give you the solution to "The Search For Speed" as this thread initially says it. And I hope you can be content with it without regrets. :scratchchin:

Xrtt8, screw luxury.... I can't think about that when trying to go fast... It's hard for those two to get along together..

Justen - Well said, no need to start a forum flame... If anyone should know this it would be me...

Lextremers - To be honest, when you've been with Toyota/Lexus cars for the last ten years like I have - Landcruisers and SC400's mainly it's painfully hard to switch to GM... You can really tell the differences between quality or ride, reliability, craftsmanship, etc.. I am not totally blinded to this fact...There is defenitely a give and a take when switching from Toyota to Chevy/Ford....

However, the Z06 is built and designed more for performance, and can handle more power in stock form, can all around pretty much out perform all the Lexus's and Toyota's in all aspects... All for under 50 grand which most of that will be recovered at time of re-sale a few years later....

To be honest if I were into luxury and reliability I would not even consider a GM vehicle, period...Well Caddy's and Lincolns are pretty cosy...However, if your main interest is not losing too much money, not losing races, driving a real performance vehicle around town, and cruise a car with sporty looks and great handling the Z06 may be the best way to achieve those goals for year or two.... That's basically my thinking at this point..

Now I am not saying you can't get an SC400/Soarer to motor hard, but so much money and effort has to go into that car to get it too rip... Same with mostly all the imports that are discussed on this forum.. Supra's and Celica's too..

Steve - I can tell you are just itching to make your Sc400 go faster and faster, I fully understand bro.. However, realistically look at what you have to do to achieve that speed... Auto tranny build when sporting over 400whp + and even that will not give you great transmission performance in the end.. The alternative is a manual or GM tranny swap (not cheap either)... Engine internal build up too will be needed, forged pistons, rods, larger injectors, etc...or maybe even a larger liter motor swap.. Building the UZ motors are not cheap either which you all know.. Lastly you still will have to deal with weight and traction issues in the SC400... You've also got to deal with illegal smog checks.. Little stock parts may start to fail also as the SC400 was simply not built and designed to handle over 400whp... I've been down this road with my SC400, i've watched my rear wheel fly off and what was left was just broken studs bolts and a scratched up rim and damaged rotor, I've seen the stock driveshaft tweek and get out of balance, blown two trannies, etc.. etc.. Don't think that stuff will happen with a Z06, well let's just say it hopefully will not.....

In the end unfortunately you will never be able to recover all the money that would be spent to drive a truely FAST and unique SC400.....While the challenge is fun, the hobby of building a sleeper is a gas, pride of ownership, competing with all the other Lextremers whom share the same interests...In the end it is simply not a great financial move no matter how you look at it.... The worst thing about it is our SC400's will never be considered a classic in years to come... Yikes!!! Supra's maybe but not our SC's...

Don't let me discourge you guys with your interests and goals as these SC400's really are fantastic cars.. Just being honest with my experiences....

Attachments

• DSC02602.jpg
    DSC02602.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC02604.jpg
    DSC02604.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC02608.jpg
    DSC02608.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC02620.jpg
    DSC02620.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC02624.jpg
    DSC02624.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 5
Building the UZ motors are not cheap either which you all know.. Lastly you still will have to deal with weight and traction issues in the SC400..

Little stock parts may start to fail also as the SC400 was simply not built and designed to handle over 400whp...

Jibby, look at Justen's car. Stock block making 400+ rwkw... 400 kilowatts is the equivalent of 540 horsepower. I don't know how many miles he's got on it (not to mention how many of those are track miles), but thats a damn fine number from a stock block.

Granted, he's running a Tremec transmission very similar to the T56 in the Z06 (less one speed). You're not going to see a transmission like the A34x series taking tons of abuse. It simply wasn't designed with that in mind.

Furthermore, you keep stating the same point. Stock for stock, the Z06 will beat most cars. That's a given. It was built to be a high end sports car. You're comparing apples to oranges.

A purpose built SC400 could compete with the Z06. You're looking at like 4-5K for an early model SC400. That's a ton of money you could poor into upgrading suspension, drivetrain, lightening, and even a fully built engine before you even came close to the price of a Z06 (MSRP 72,500 for an 08). I know you see the point I'm getting at.

Dollar for dollar, an early SC400 could keep up with a new Z06.

Not a boosted Z06 914runner.....I just don't see that happening... I don't see Justens car taking out the boosted 650rwhp Z06 either for that matter...However, I really can't speak intellegently about Justens rocket, I just know it's really fast and will absolutely spank me racing it in my SC400.....

This is the thread that got me interested in the Z06 to begin with..If you find the time to read the entire thread I am sure everyone can learn something new..Owners claim the Z06 to be a nice reliable ride.. Controversy with the ZR-1..Pros and Cons..Etc... If you are short on interest and time then just read post #155 if you want to get the quick low down... Very informative...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005740&page=8

You made your point on post #155 again jibby. Stock for stock, a Z06 wins.

Keep this in mind though (power to weight only, not considering traction)
Z06 = 3132 lbs / 505 (crank) horses = 6.2lb/hp
Justen = ~2900lbs / 540 (~400rwkw WHEEL measured) horses = 5.37lb/hp

Even at 3300lbs, Justen's car still has a better ratio at 6.11lb/hp

New scenario:

Boosted Z06 = ~3300lbs (turbo systems cost weight) @ 650whp = 5.08lb/hp at $85,000

Justen's Celica = 2900lbs @ 540 hp = 5.37lb/hp @ a fraction of the cost that I can only imagine to be under 50%.

No matter what car forum you go to, you'll find that people are bias. I like both LSx and xUZ blocks, but someone with know how and technical skills can beat the pants off of a production car like the Z06. Cost being no factor, the Z06 is a fine car for someone wanting a fast car in stock form.

I hate to say, but the better power/weight ratio with the traction is going to win. You could strip an SC down to the bare bones, turbo it, get some big meats, and whoop the hell out of a Z06. It is that simple. Sure, it may not be nearly as classy, but you and I are talking completely different languages.

You're saying, "yeah, I could spend a ton of money on a car and then another 15K on a turbo system and have something 'unbeatable'". I'm saying, "well, you could buy a cheap car and drop 15K on just a motor and some tires."

Have you ever seen an older turbocharged SBC or SBF? More so, have you ever thought about putting one into a lighter chassis than the Z06 (at 3K lbs)? The possibilities are limitless with chassis and engine configurations.

What about handling and looks? Yes, I know you can build any car to go fast...Heck, boost a 1uz-fe motor and drop in a Ford Pinto and it will fly..... Smaller, lighter does = faster.... Doesn't always mean that is necessarly nice looking, worth it's weight in gold, handles well, and drives nicely... There is always more to consider then just speed... Personal taste is pobably #1..

This is a discussion that is based on personal taste, financial budget, etc.. I am sure 4x4runner if you were given a Z06 to cruise around town you would not complain and have a blast driving it, no?

I've recently been on the GTR forums too and they all do seem a bit bias like you say.....All they seem to talk about is beating out the Vipers and Zo6's go figure, it's all just funny..... Love the one your with I guess????????

I go to the other forums just to learn and get a broad prospective on all the fast cars.... These different car owners on these various forums give detailed opinions about the cars they own and drive... If I know more about different sportscars then I can post on this forum and school you guys, right? Ha Ha Ha... Learning is living....

Where is Justen? He went MIA on us...

I have posted many times about my admiration of the simplistic and relatively cheap brute power available from any of the LSx engines. The 05+ C6ZO6 is an AWESOME car and the APS turbo system my personal choice.

Here is a NON Z06 with 427cid Lingenfelter twin turbo selling for ahem... $125k
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=2097315

tt8wi8.jpg

tt3vj6.jpg

Attachments

• GTS_1.jpg
    GTS_1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 100
  • GTS_2.jpg
    GTS_2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Supra85_FrontPass.jpg
    Supra85_FrontPass.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Supra85_rear.jpg
    Supra85_rear.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Supra85InteriorFront.jpg
    Supra85InteriorFront.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Toy_Convert_01.jpg
    Toy_Convert_01.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 3
I have to say Jibby, I don't think that there's anyone in here that would turn down a Vette if it was cheap enough..........

I said it myself, I wouldn't turn one down.

I hope you guys can see that my beef isn't with the engine, its with the expense of the chassis. SBC's are the cheapest power you can get, period. The LS7 is an amazing piece of work, as I said in post #7...

Don't get me wrong Jibby, the LS7 is a masterpiece

There are cheaper, lighter cars that would benefit a ton from any LSx block (Datsuns for instance =))... at much less than sticker price on a Vette (or used price).

A Ford Pinto would be one of the cheapest chassis, but we aren't exactly rushing to get into one of those either. I don't think anyone is going to solve this argument. Some people want car A, some want car B. To each their own. No choice is universally "better" than the other.

What about handling and looks? Yes, I know you can build any car to go fast...Heck, boost a 1uz-fe motor and drop in a Ford Pinto and it will fly..... Smaller, lighter does = faster.... Doesn't always mean that is necessarly nice looking, worth it's weight in gold, handles well, and drives nicely... There is always more to consider then just speed... Personal taste is pobably #1..

Jibbby, you got to stop bringing looks into the equation. Like stated before, apperiance or looks is subjective and in the eye of the beholder. Yes, it may be your personal taste or preference with the Z06 and yes, I will agree with you that the Vette in general is a beautiful car but you cant argue an opinions thats why the are called opinion. Now facts can be argued put can also be proven, like a car can be build to out do your 650rwhp Z06 on any track whether it be a drag strip or a road coarse or any street, at a fraction of the cost.. Period, end of story....

Im sorry that you got started with a heavy luxury sport coupe like the SC but HP to weight ratio is the name of the game. You want to go fast, handle well, look good and do all this cheaply, by a bike.

th_hayabusavid.jpg

Yes the speedo is in MPH, and yes it does go to 220 MPH, and yes if you do calculate it out based on RPM, gearing, and tire size, I was going 244MPH when the engine would not pull any more and I got on the brakes.

Oh and yes I do have a death wish!

Find a TTZ06 that will keep up!

Turboandrew sums it up... thread over.

Funny, I'm getting a bike this week particularly due to the fact that I can't afford any extra horsepower on my car. Gonna get a 2004 Honda 599 (naked)... Yeah, it doesn't have the sportbike fairing, it doesn't have a 130hp engine, but it still has a better power/weight ratio than a Z06 and will get 2x the fuel economy. You're really 100% right CJ, track or straight line, a bike will win against a car. Its physics.

Turboandrew sums it up... thread over.

Funny, I'm getting a bike this week particularly due to the fact that I can't afford any extra horsepower on my car. Gonna get a 2004 Honda 599 (naked)... Yeah, it doesn't have the sportbike fairing, it doesn't have a 130hp engine, but it still has a better power/weight ratio than a Z06 and will get 2x the fuel economy. You're really 100% right CJ, track or straight line, a bike will win against a car. Its physics.

Yup, about the only 4 wheel vehical that could run faster lap time on a road coarse with me would be an F1 car. With the bike, at legal HWY speeds, I'd get close to 45 miles to a gallon and can spank TT Z06's all day long too.....

I watched it. I've seen tons of those vids on Youtube. That sort of things really scares the crap out of me.... the front wheel doesn't come down until like 120...

I've done 150 in a 5 series BMW on the autobahn and that was enough for me. Comfortable cruise. I don't know if I could ever find myself wanting to do 100mph over that.

I watched it. I've seen tons of those vids on Youtube. That sort of things really scares the crap out of me.... the front wheel doesn't come down until like 120...

I've done 150 in a 5 series BMW on the autobahn and that was enough for me. Comfortable cruise. I don't know if I could ever find myself wanting to do 100mph over that.

Actually 140 and the highest speed that I have held it up to is about 150 but that scared the crap out of me so no more of that. Its no even so much the wheelie, as how fast I shoot from 140 to 220 and beyound. If I had a stretched swingarm I could get into it a lot more at lower speeds.

Some of these cars should have MLC badges on them..
I mean yes they are quick!!
Put more than two people in them, tow a boat etc...
Just seems way too impractical!!
About as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike...
I have been in one and found the spring rates to be very hard in the latter model or version I was in any way...
To get comfortable ride you don't have to drive a Lincoln or Caddy...

Yup, about the only 4 wheel vehical that could run faster lap time on a road coarse with me would be an F1 car.

On all but the fastest circuits, F3 cars with 220bhp lap faster than even MotoGP bikes !

When compared to F1 lap times the MotoGp bikes are light years behind, let alone a road going bike.

On all but the fastest circuits, F3 cars with 220bhp lap faster than even MotoGP bikes !

When compared to F1 lap times the MotoGp bikes are light years behind, let alone a road going bike.

And I think if we're talking straight line, funny cars are probably faster in the quarter as well......

BUT.... on road-going machines, bikes are within the top 1% of fastest vehicles.

Attachments

• Tundra 002.jpg
    Tundra 002.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 326
  • Tundra 004.jpg
    Tundra 004.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 328
  • Tundra 006.jpg
    Tundra 006.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 326
  • Tundra 011.jpg
    Tundra 011.jpg