The search results for speed. money and looks...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

As some of you might know, I have spent the last few months studying and learning all about the Z06 Corvettes, and LSx GM engines... I feel I have arrived with adequate knowledge and insite...

I came to realise a Lexus SC400 is very challenging luxury car to modify to adequately hang with the big boys such as the (09 Vipes, ZR-1, GTR's, Porchse turbo's, etc..) So I was looking for the best looking ride and best bang for the buck... This is what I have discovered -

I have found a few 06 C6Z's selling for around $42,000USD and with the addition of this twin kit installed and tuned for $15,000... Totals $57,000USD to basically own and drive an unbeatable nice looking ride... (APS is the name of the pre-fabbed GM turbo kit company)...

Hear is the link that shows the plan and kit -

http://www.airpowersystems.com/corvette/tts07.htm It appears this website is currently down, I am sorry but it should be back up and running shortly.. A great link too... I hate when this happens... Anyway, its a prefabbed twin turbo kit that will bring the ZO6 Vette to dyno at 650whp....The link shows, pics, kits, dyno's, track runs and everything... Very informative...

I know this is not Toyota or Lexus but to the car enthusiest this should still be an interesting read... I thought I would share my findings...

A good way to finance this is to take out a $50k home equity line which then the interest paid YTD would then become a tax write off.
Payments would then be $300 per month.. Cheaper then leasing a new economy car, but you will need to own a house with adequate equity...

Dreams can become reality if you want them bad enough.. :headbang:

Vander - I realise not everyone likes Corvette's or GM for that matter especially when you've fully experienced the UZ.. motors and Toyota...However, I dought an IS-F with just a few mods would even come close to hanging with a twin turb'd Z06 Vette dishing out 600-650rwhp...

The Z06 was simply built for speed and performance and even in stock form it would pull on most Modified Lexus's including the IS-F's.. A stock 06 Zo6 Vette sports 505hp and already goes 0-60mph 3.7 seconds N/A. What is nice about the stock 06 ZO6 Vette is that it can also handle up to 700whp without any internal or drivetrain changes.. That's a nice luxury when you think about it...Just boost and roll...

The IS-F is a very nice little Lexus sports car but it's really not in the same league when it comes to sportscar performance comparisons.......

Like is was stated before Jibbby, You con not ligitimately compair a corvette to an SC. For starters. The Corvette is a high end sports car and the SC was a luxury sport. Two totally different class of cars.... The Z06 is not a car that most people could deal with in a cross country trip, yet the SC was designed to have that luxury.... If you want a rocket ship, you dont go by a bicycle now do you?

Even though the IS-F is a bad arse car, but it was not designed to compete in the same market of any sort with a vette. Its a sports sedan, period, end of story. Its classed to compete with the M3's and M5's and stuff like that.. Again, a totally different market...

All these cars are bad arse's, and do what they are designed to do very well.... The key thing here be "what they were designed to do."

Im not knocking the Vette and yes I agree with you, the best bang for your buck is probably going to be the corvette and namely the Z06, but lets see how the reliability is with them once you start building them and beating on them all the time.

Whilst I agree that the Vette is an amazing car to drive and that small block technology is well proven (hell, its the base engine in an Ultima GTR), I would've rather seen a big single....

First of all, that thing looks like a bear to work on.
Second, the turbos are located only a few inches above the ground. Never driving in the rain I assume...
Third, the thing won't run on anything but very high octane fuels (11.0:1 compression ratio, stock) at low boost...

Furthermore, I think that someone with some turbo experience and know how could build something that makes more power at a fraction of the cost.

I know that these are crafted for the Sunday driver who marks every mile in his Vette and washes it after a trip around the block, but damn thats alot of money for that system. Bear in mind that their special fuel system, exhaust, and most likely tuning isn't included in that cost.

Whilst I agree that the Vette is an amazing car to drive and that small block technology is well proven (hell, its the base engine in an Ultima GTR), I would've rather seen a big single....

First of all, that thing looks like a bear to work on.
Second, the turbos are located only a few inches above the ground. Never driving in the rain I assume...
Third, the thing won't run on anything but very high octane fuels (11.0:1 compression ratio, stock) at low boost...

Furthermore, I think that someone with some turbo experience and know how could build something that makes more power at a fraction of the cost.

I know that these are crafted for the Sunday driver who marks every mile in his Vette and washes it after a trip around the block, but damn thats alot of money for that system. Bear in mind that their special fuel system, exhaust, and most likely tuning isn't included in that cost.

trackwheels2.jpg

Near enough in performance and sure as hell a fraction of the cost :nana:

cjsupra - I really wasn't comparing the SC's to a C6 Vette because there really is no comparison... Yes two totally different cars designed for different markets..The Lexus SC "maybe" a bit more comfortable to drive in, definetely more reliable, but from what I have learned about the ZO6's is that they do hold up pretty well with low miles..I have test driven two now and they really are a nice ride suprisely, throttle response and torque is outstanding, and believe it or not they are very confortable on the inside..A bit bumpy but they handle oh so well..After all it's just a big N/A GM V8 motor and drivetrain that was designed to handle big power on a relatively light weight body... They are suprisingly reliable with low miles from what most of the ZO6 owners have stated on the forums...

The ones that are breaking are the modified Vette's that have been driven with Nitrous systems for long periods of time...

I will say the UZ motors are smoother and probably designed better in many ways.. Some of the compaints reported with these GM motors is that you will experience piston slap on cold start ups with most LSx motors... They do show wear after 80,000-100,000 miles or so unlike the UZ motors and cars.. There are quite abit of differences to speak of but that would be a story..

If you can get a clean C6 Vette with under 50,000 miles on it not already modified already it should be a solid ride for a while... The convenience of parts and pricing are not all that expensive suprisingly enough when comparing to Lexus and Toyota, and actually it's probably easier to work on over most Uz motors and cars...

Pics of the stock 2006 Z06 Corvette.. They really are a fabulous sportscar from what I can tell so far..

Justen, I would ventrure to guess that even your rocket would be hard pressed to over take the above twin Z06 shown in that link...

It's a beast for sure and it would be fun to take one on :)

I was just agreeing with 4runner that similar can be done for far less dosh.

If i had the cash i would happily have one, it wouldn't be at the top of my list though. I wouldn't morgage my house for one either.

The Vette is nice to look at and drive. I do like it, but $50K on it for 505 bhp? I can put $10K more in my SC and I'm 100% sure I can make it 500 rhwp = more than 650 bhp for daily driving with the auto tranny, too. I don't think the Z06 has better look than my SC.

I'm glad my point was well made. If I was given the choice between Justen's ride and a Z06 Corvette, I'd take the Celica in a heartbeat. That car is the most amazing thing I've seen, ever. Honestly, it is.

Don't get me wrong Jibby, the LS7 is a masterpiece. Titanium valves, dry sump oiling, etc, but you could probably build a 1UZ to make that much power with incredible reliability for the cost of a crate LS7 (13K USD). Then all you have to do is find a lightweight chassis to put it in... Past that, you're only brakes and suspension away from blowing that Vette off the road in curves and straights.

If you recall, there was a fella on here that had a near 1000 HP Ultima with a 1UZ that he sold because it was too much to handle. Sure, that engine had completely forged internals, but I bet it still cost less than that turbo system by itself.

I hate to push the UZ so hard as a competitor for its displacement limit, because stock for stock, obviously, the LS7 would eat the 1UZ alive. Boosted though, a 1UZ would beat the hell out of a stock LS7 boosted block hands down (given some limits like fuel rating).

Just for kicks, here's a video of that GTR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3y7qbSCB44

Interesting thread.

I think there's two seperate wants/arguements for your dream Jibby. The dream car, awesome, cool, elite type thing is there in the 'Vette for sure. It is certainly a big league vehicle even stock.

Though bang for your buck, like most people have said, it's not a solid arguement. You could budget the cost of just the turbo kit for that Vette on a just about any reputable motor (1U, 2J etc) and drop it in a lighter car.

Even a tank sporter like the SC, what are they worth now for a mint one? + surely you could build a reliable 1000hp motor for under $20k.

Everyone is different, I'm not trying to shoot down your dream, just saying bang for buck it's a big call. Though, when you compare the cost to the rival vehicles you mentioned, then yes it's good bang for buck for a high end car ;)

Now you guys got me going now... I see and agree with mostly all your points however...

Yes, you can always build a cheaper used monster car with huge horsepower for obviously cheaper then $50,000.. I will not disagree with you guys on that... Yes, I aslo think the SC4's are nice looking rides when modd'd up but not quite as sweet and brutal looking as a very clean and modified looking C6 Vette. Like that black one what is shown in that above link.. Come on fellas have you seen these new Z06 Vette's in person? Phat rides!!! ....Maybe I am the only one that thinks that, but keep in mind I also own a modified and nice looking SC400 Lexus, so I can offer an honest and personal opinion for both sides..

However, I am not one to argue with the triads but we all know the transmission, weight, and gearing is the problem and or road block when boosting the Soarer's, SC400's and SC300's over 400rwhp.. You basically will need a manual transmission swap which isn't cheap..Boost logic maybe... Then trying to compete in the traction department with the C6 is night and day straight out... Independant axles on the SC400 and mid mount tranny is going to be problems... The ZO6 has the transaxle where the transmission weight is distributed to the rear of the vehicle, LSD, traction control features, this of course all aids in traction and launches... As far as I can tell the Z06's are geared to perfection, long 1st gear.. I can continue but again it is really hard to compare the modified SC's to Z06 Corvette's.. The Zo6 with the big LS7 engine also offers a very desireable power band as shown on the dyno's sheets unlike a boosted and spiking 2jz's for that matter..

Steve, I know you have said you can hang with the stock Z06's but I really think you can't. Sorry bro, seeing is believing.. Even with 400whp in your SC4, you are coming up short on power compared to the C6 430whp C6 Vette, traction, gearing, weight, etc.. The SC4's and Supra TT's come up short in alot of ways.... I honestly wish it weren't the case though...

Fellas we can keep modifying and dumping cash into these SC's of ours and get them to move fairly fast, but it is simply not in the same league as modified Z06 no matter how you look at it... That's my thinking at least and that is why I turned to the dark side.. I was going to try this LS2 and GM tranny swap in my SC4 a few months ago, but after much thought and research I said what is the point?... I even purchased a used LS2 motor and that is how close I was to starting this swap...

Justen, you are a wise man for not morgaging your house to finance your hobbies.. I am not as wise as you....I am also 40 years old and not getting any younger unlike you...

Nemises - This 06 Z06 is not my ultimate dream ride but will work for me personally.. My dream car would be an expensive exotic most likely, Bugatti, Austin Martin Vanquish, Topend Farrari, Lambo, etc.. Even an 08 C6 or ZR-1 over the 06 modified C6 Vette..

Just sharing information with you guys that is all... When working with a 50 grand budget...

Also reading on all the sports car forums I am convinced the 08 Z06's and 09 Vipers are the cars to beat.. When slightly modified both clean up on all the competition literally...Can't beat em join em...No? Me also thinks the Z06 can be a daily driver too if you can believe that...

One thing I've learnt when it comes to cars, is go with what you love. It's impossible to convert other people to your thoughts and people will always question decisions.

If you've got the money and the desire then go for it, I know i'd be jealous as hell. But that's because I'm a car nut without the money to support the mentality :(

I already like you Nemesis, and yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder and in the budget unfortunately....

Oh, and my old SC4 can still turn a head every now and then...Not in anyway bashing on the legendary SC's... For the money and reliability they just can't be beat..

PS. I forgot to mention the LS7 in the ZO6's also incorporated a gas saving feature..The Z06 in stock form gets a commendable 16 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway if you can believe that.... That's probably better gas mileage then you would get in a N/A SC400...

What engine is that mate? Windsor?

Oh and more importantly (off topic)... What's your username on fordforums? You're not out Penrith way somewhere are you?

Just went through some of your posts trying to find your ride, I'm having flashbacks to a guy I used to ask questions about Windsors at FF when I had my AUII XR8_Ute (old username there) :biggrin:

I'm glad my point was well made. If I was given the choice between Justen's ride and a Z06 Corvette, I'd take the Celica in a heartbeat. That car is the most amazing thing I've seen, ever. Honestly, it is.]

LOL cheers mate, i'm not sure it's that good but it's fun for sure.

If given the choice i'd take the Z06, have some fun with it then sell it to build the Celica and a nice big workshop to house it in :)

don't worry Jibbby, i'm the wrong side of 40 too....gotta live your dreams the best you can but gotta be a little realistic about what you throw at them too. If you spent even 10K on your SC you would have an awesome ride that would put a smile on your face every drive.....it may not smoke the vette but it would be close enough that you'd be happy you still had the other 40K in your pocket :)

Attachments

• IMG_8973small.jpg
    IMG_8973small.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8979small.jpg
    IMG_8979small.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1
I have to say Jibby, I don't think that there's anyone in here that would turn down a Vette if it was cheap enough... But 50K just isn't cheap. You could pay a crapload off your house, invest it, start a small business.... anything.

Hell, think of the cars you could build for 50K? I mean sheesh... 50K could even get you some top shelf classic chevy muscle..... I bet there'd be alot more heads turning to see a sweet '68 Camaro than some run of the mill Z06