New guy, have done research but still questions. N/A 1UZ help

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Rxmfn7

Hey guys, Ive been a member here for a while and lurk occasionally, but have only posted a few times. I currently have a '94 FD RX-7, and for years Ive been kicking around the idea of tossing a 1UZ in it. I have the money to do a nice build, but I want to stay N/A. My original plan was to build a N/A 3 rotor for the car, which I still may do, but for what I want a HP goal the engine alone will likely cost be upwards of ~$10k. Money isnt the only issue, but Id like to explore other possibilities. Anyway, I would like at least 350RWHP out of the N/A engine. 1st and foremost, keeping it streetable/reliable, is this possible with a 1UZ? Im fine in spending the cash on crank, pistons, ITBs, etc.. as even if I come it at $6k into the engine thats still way short of that I was thinking with my 3-rotor. Also a last minute question as Im still a bit unfamiliar.. my local junkyard has an SC400, Ill have to double check the year.. is this a good car to pull the 1UZ from? Thanks for any help guys :)

Welll I dont know much/anything about rotary motor's but if you have 6k to spend. This is the thing, you can buy the 1UZ, & ecu, wiring harness, all the goodies to install, but you still have a 92-97 180whp motor. If you spend alotttt more money in it, you can make the non vvti motor, make what you want to do with it. If you do 92-97 1uz, build it to the hilt. cams,crank,bearings, etc. Then headers w/ITB's, That little RX7 will be rippin. Im kinda drunk.

I wasnt really putting a price limit on the swap itself, I was just making mention of it seemed like I could build a pretty nice 1UZ for considerably less than my original plans for the car. But as I mentioned, price isnt my ultimate concern. I can get a 1uz for ~$1000 or less all day long, And let say I am comfortable in spending ~$6k on the engine build (not counting swap parts, just engine components, and ITBs) could I have a reliable ~350+rwhp engine, or is this too much to ask?

For $6k you're asking too much.

ITB's will cost you $1,5000 or more. AN ECU simillar and this before exhausts, cams and any forged internals.

I figure $6,000 is the cost a stock engine swap.

To build an N/A 350RWHP 1UZ is $10k++.

Thanks for the reply, but as I said.. Im not really putting a limit on the price, I just sort of threw out a random number. My question really is, what kind of power can a 1uzfe make N/A, and what is needed to achieve my 350rwhp goal reliably while being streetable?

And with some of the reading Ive been doing, as in this thread just a few posts down from mine:

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12405

Is showing 268WHP with just cams and a tune. Now I would be building a new block, higher CR, possibly stroker if needed, and ITBs. I would think 350WHP would be a piece of cake, and closer to 400 is more likely. And I wrong?

Also as stated, Im doing doing this to be cheap. Id I wanted most HP/dollar, Id go LS engine. There are bolt in plug and play kits out there for that and my Rx7. I like smaller displacement, higher revving engines. Yes, it costs to build them and they dont always make as much sense.. but Im not building the car for practicalitly. Im building it to enjoy.

Max WHP I've heard of is 306 @ 9,300rpm.

That's 425WHP.

That engine contained the absolute best of everything and was built by a seriously dedicated owner.

It lasted around 2,000km but to make that sort of power out of 4litres you need to rev it to the limit.

350 is probably asking too much for a street drivable engine with reasonable life expectency.

But a turbo and 350 is dead easy, reliable and more drivable.

Max WHP I've heard of is 306 @ 9,300rpm.

That's 425WHP.

That engine contained the absolute best of everything and was built by a seriously dedicated owner.

It lasted around 2,000km but to make that sort of power out of 4litres you need to rev it to the limit.

350 is probably asking too much for a street drivable engine with reasonable life expectency.

But a turbo and 350 is dead easy, reliable and more drivable.

Yep with Forged low comp pistons [9 to 1] and quality aftermarket Forged rods.. 450 rwhp and with good tune should live as long as N/A engine..
With 61 to 70mm turbo.. Rpm can be kept to moderate levels while still maintaining good power and torque without loosing any drivability..
If anything you become a lazy driver as turbo's make power under load.
Yes... Not that I should admit it but my WRX's and turbo Ford V8 I hardly change down lower than 3rd gear to go around roundabouts and second for give way intersections..

Well, you already addressed the sensible LSx option... still your best bet.

The xUZFE will be bigger and would make best sense with a turbo.

Built for high RPM use there should be 400-500hp flywheel available but a lot of R&D and big dollars.

Forced induction is best bet with the uzfe.

For the dollars you are talking about for NA you could buy a brand new crate LS7 with 7 liters, forged crank, titanium rods and 500+hp and over 475tq before mods with endless mod options.

sucp_0811_01_z+1969_camaro_project_heroes_ls7+completed.jpg

You tube video states 407whp 305RWKW... Killowatt not hp. Been on the build thread and seen the dyno sheet. Simple mistake

Attachments

• 9300dyno_0002.jpg
    9300dyno_0002.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: