The search results for speed. money and looks...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
True, true, true, however to garage build a nice custom car to run with a twin Z06 your going to have to spend a pretty penny, know your stuff in and out, and spend alot of time under that hood. Maybe you won't spend 50 grand but I would venture to guess you probably would spend around half that amount in the end for what ever your looking at...Granted it must look respectable too... I know there is some extremely fast Ford Cobra's that are built to the hilt and can take out C6's, I've seen and read about rediculous built and sprayed newer LSx Camaro's and Trans AMs that absolutely rip aswell and spank the compitition.. Take out GTR's, etc.... What's really important in this discussion is that some of those cars are just not that nice to look at now are they?

I know my older SC400 has me in the 20 grand range and it would not beat a stock Z06 on a good day...I am sure Steve and James are in the 10's of thousands of dollars by now on their SC's too... My SC4 I would say is reasonably fast 0-80mph, pulls, spins, launches, but has power spikes and it has gotten worked over before by a Z06's, Vipers, and a GT500... It pisses me off everytime as I get pulled on...Races at freeway speeds are generally embarrassing for me.. I don't even try that anymore.. Maybe a single turbo SC400 with 400whp or a boosted 2jz would fare better on the freeways...

Again, it's a preference, a personal choice, and expensive one at that..Not disagreeing with you fellas... Just offering up my way of thinking anyway..

I must say though if you do have some money to blow and you were to buy any new Merc AMG, Lexus, GTR, or any other highend sports car with balls you will be paying much more then $50 grand just ask ZUffen... You can look at it that way too... Drive a new car like that for two years and then try and resell and you most likely get raped... Your probably best off leasing it or something for a couple of years...

I would buy the used Z06 drive it and abuse it for 2 years and then resell. I can gaurantee that a Twin Zo6 that was done professionally is still going to be worth close to that 50 that grand mark upon a patient and intellegent resale... They are a hot item here in the states and should continue be for some time I would think... Expecially if it still runs and looks as nice as when it was purchased... If it's fully insured you are very hard pressed to lose over 10 grand in any event, crash, stolen, etc..... Now take one of our modified Lexus/Toyota cars that we have built up and custom modified and I would venture to guess we all lost quite a bit cash upon trying to resell them as well, I know I have... More the 10 grand too if I tried to resell my SC..... Now is it all that different fellas when you look at the big picture? Are you really spending more money in the end if you can pull off some decent financing?

After two or three years of driving any car you tend to lose some interest anyway and go for something better and or different, no? That's human nature I would think...

PS.. I have been looking at a professionally built newer Camaro SS that runs a 10.8 quarter on 93 octane and is selling here in LA, Ca....Very nice, very fast, streetable, and $18,000 is what he wants for it.. However, it's a Camaro and I just can't do it....

Lets see the GTO v's LS400 ??
Btw if you add twin turbo's to a 6 ltr engine and only get 650 rwhp..
You better not brag too much about it !!
Here's my dyno graph with 330ci pushrod twin turbo..
jpgSmall.jpg
The BIG issue is traction ...
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8RSfjLgSU30

Xrt88, there is always a car that is faster I know that... I look at this dyno sheet for example and see a spike in the curve..I don't know exactly what that does for your car but I would guess a more even balance power curve would do better for you in a quarter mile sprint... Power spikes with turbo's can really take away from a run as you well know...

Just look at all those 1000hp Supra's that really aren't that fast in the quarter for the power that they dish out.. Dyno queens is what we call them... Most claim it's all because of the spiking power curves...

Am I correct in assuming this?

Quote..
Xrt88, there is always a car that is faster I know that... I look at this dyno sheet for example and see a spike in the curve..I don't know exactly what that does for your car but I would guess a more even balance power curve would do better for you in a quarter mile sprint... Power spikes with turbo's can really take away from a run as you well know...

Just look at all those 1000hp Supra's that really aren't that fast in the quarter for the power that they dish out.. Dyno queens is what we call them... Most claim it's all because of the spiking power curves...

Am I correct in assuming this?

It was a dyno competition, the EBC was set at 16 Lb. So yes there was a power spike.. On road or at the track the EBC takes the mid range power out and set to 10Lb .. For street its set at 8Lb..I can instantly change it though inside car..The curve flattens out when wastegate finally opens in this case.. We are trying to tune it with TPS is related to boost..
The post was to say that a bigger motor the power levels advertised is not that great..Possibly $20k worth of turbo's etc and only gain 150 h.p or so..??
Mind you knowing how much better low end power and torque the figures just don't say how nice it would be to drive..
The high std compression ratio would also be limiting power levels of the Z06 engine..

Jibbby,

Dont spend 50K for that HP. If you want to spend 50K for the look of it then I would say go for it.

How about we make u a 600 rwhp SC400 for 20k? That is 30K saving....LOL... What a deal...

* 5.2L stroker
* GT40R
* Fuel
* AEM
* Lots of tunning.....

Depends on what sort of person you are??
If you can weld and fabricate etc??
And cannot stop yourself from fiddling with things !!! Lol..
Or a nerd ...
It takes all sorts to make the world go around...

Jibbby,

Dont spend 50K for that HP. If you want to spend 50K for the look of it then I would say go for it.

How about we make u a 600 rwhp SC400 for 20k? That is 30K saving....LOL... What a deal...

* 5.2L stroker
* GT40R
* Fuel
* AEM
* Lots of tunning.....

Lex my boy you know I give you much props on your visions and your modified rides of the past and future...However, I must disagree with this statement of yours. Even with the skills, resources, knowledge and know how on how to build this rod, in reality you are not saving 30K but actually spending 20k which you will probably never be able to recover.. Well maybe 5 grand or so you can recover upon re-sale.:shock:

In reality, when and if you do buy a newer sportscar like the Z06 Vette most of the money can be recovered after just a few years upon re-sale if the car is kept up as I stated before.. A professional well known bolt on turbo kit helps too rather then a homemade custom special turbo kit... I know this because I was a car dealer for many years.. Home made projects lose money no matter how you look at it in a big way right from day one, unfortunately...:happysad: Why? Well first you're starting off building up an older car to begin with that really isn't worth much money... Now you have turbo'd and built this older car that absolutely rips for 20-30k, miles are high.. Ok, now years later you try and sell, most buyers will be in awe of that ride, but these potential car buyers will also be too afraid to buy someone else's hotrod for various reasons unless it is a classic of sorts..... Most car consumers actually like to buy the stock version for reliabilities sake and familiarity... However, you can strip and sell all the parts seperately off the hotrod, then sell the car in stock form and recover at least some money but I would still venture to guess you would take a huge loss in the end..:boggled:

For hobbies sake, bragging rights, originality, personal taste, challenge, and the sleeper factor a 600whp SC400 would be a damn cool ride to have and I certainly can't argue with that..... But there will be a steep price to pay...

Also, in the end if your main desire is for maximum speed and performance in a sportscar it's tough to pass on a twin ZO6... Let me ask you guys this? Which streetable car is going to be faster, a nicely built 600whp SC400/Supra granted you are able to sucessfully convert the drivetrain sucessfully to support that kind of power, and or the 600whp Z06 Vette? I would bet my left testical the Z06 would clean it everytime in a short sprint and or the quarter mile everytime... Weight, traction, gearing, etc....:smoker:

Steve - Insurance premiums are the killer on the z06 and you are oh so right...It's a little bit better with a 2006 model then a 2009 model though.. OUCH!!! You got me there... Oh and Steve, I think you built your single turbo'd SC4 the cheapest...Mad props on your SC400 and smarts!!!!!

Zr8tt- It sounds like you have one hell of a motor and car your sporting!!!!! Nice dyno regardless... You're also right in your post about what kind of person you are.. If your a fiddler then you probably aren't going to buy a new car for starters.. I am a part time fiddler myself

Sorry for the short stories and long reads...:684:

The bottom line like most is I just am so eager to experience big streetable power before I get to old...Not just 300-400whp either 600whp+... I feel a bit like Earl Monroe of New Zealand at the moment...:slomo:

I've seen and read about rediculous built and sprayed newer LSx Camaro's and Trans AMs that absolutely rip aswell and spank the compitition.. Take out GTR's, etc.... What's really important in this discussion is that some of those cars are just not that nice to look at now are they?

The first problem with your arguement here is whats nice to look at in your eyes is not necessarly nice to look at in someone elses eyes.... Yes the vette is nice, but in all honesty I like the look of the C5 over the C6 and if I were in the market to buy a vette, I would be shoping for a C5 and not a C6. There is a big differance between an arguement based on oppinions vs. an arguement based on facts.....One of the best looking cars on the road is the 3rd gen (FD3S) RX7 but that is a matter of oppinion... Here's another thing, I absolutely love the look of a 1st gen RX7 with a Mariah Motorsports Wide Body kit.... Having said that, I could buy one, and build it including a the widebody kit to allow for a lot more rubber on the road, and make it spank a TT-Z06 on any road, any track or what ever, and spend less the $15,000 to do so..... Looks are in the eye of the beholder, so you cant use looks as an agrument....

A good way to finance this is to take out a $50k home equity line which then the interest paid YTD would then become a tax write off.

First of all borrowing money to buy a car is not the smartest thing. The vette is a luxury not a necessity. So getting yourself in great debt to drive it maybe 4-6 times a month is simply not a smart financial decision. I dont know where u learn your math but from 50K to 20K is 30K saving.

Secondly, reselling any mod car you will not get your money back. Matter of fact people would rather prefer buy non mod cars. So dont throw your hard earned dollars away and I am sure you would see it back. Getting into financial debt for this Vette is not worth it. Best luck to you my man.

Like I stated if you are into the look then spend the 50K, but if you are spending 50K for performance then you better look few more ways to do it. Like CJ stated, looks are subjective. What look good to me doesnt mean look to you. So look is a subjective matter and very hard to argue. However, 50K for 600 rwhp?

Looks are in the eye of the beholder, so you cant use looks as an agrument....

Well, you can if you go by what's going to turn heads going down Santa Monica Boulevard. There are certain cars that turn heads--most won't, no matter how fast they are. Yes, your average gearhead will recoginze a modded vehicle (regardless of what it started as) and give it some props, but the other 99% of the people will not notice unless it is something they recognize: Vette, Porsche, Ferarri, etc. The question becomes how much you want to spend to look good. I personally would take the $50K and build something outrageous.

I realize that I am not the average Lextremer--I am way on the outer edge even for serious car guys.
This was my track toy:

447448_7_full.jpg

This car has probably spent more time over 100MPH than any other car on this forum--not too brag (too much) but it is a TRACK car. It hung with C5 Vettes in the corners (but with only 1.8L under the hood I was toast on the straights). What I take pride in is that I turned every single bolt on the car---7000 RPM and 130 MPH and my connecting rods stayed inside the block!!! It was really cheap, went pretty fast and never broke. But it only got attention because it was old and wierd looking and no one ever knew what it was--and even I would not call it a beautiful car.

My current project
PICT0005.jpg
This is basically a Corolla body on a lightweight chassis using SC400 mechanicals. Even if I acheive my goals (which I most likely will not) this car would have better performace specs (horsepower, torque,0-60, power to weight ratio, 1/4 mile time, lateral G's etc) than just about anything else on the road. It will look better and go way faster than my old track car. And again, I will take a lot of pride knowing that I built it from the ground up. But I know it will still just look like a 75 Corolla and I will get no respect going down the street. Even guys who drive 1995 SC400's wouldn't give it a second look, let alone anyone driving a brand new Vette.

If I could afford a Vette, I would have one--no question about it. If I could even afford a stock TT Supra, I'd take one in a second. But I can only afford to look good OR go fast, but not both.

I choose to go fast.

Mark

Yes, you do have a point about what turns heads, but again, thats in the eye of the beholder but still has nothing to do with what worth what.... Personally your toy and current project are more appealing to me then any vette, unless something really stands out about that vette like say a C5R or C6R driving down a public highway....

First of all borrowing money to buy a car is not the smartest thing. The vette is a luxury not a necessity.

The Twin Vette is a necessity if it makes you happy and fulfills your life long dreams and ambitions...You leverage to buy a home which is not a necessity or a good investment in most cases when you can rent an apartment and invest in commercial real estate or other stuff instead.. Pride of ownership and the Amercan dream gets the best of you....So, what else does one live for? Women, kids, family, health, home, god, etc..which all costs money anyway, except god.... We are all going to be dust one day, and I believe we should all try and realise our dreams if possible and make them into reality if possible, no? Whether thru hard work and saving or borrowing as long as it does not cripple you or start a bad trend... This subject is very touchy, and everyone will have a different opinion on this, especially if you are conservative or an agressive person by nature....

Also, It's not that I personally don't have the 50 grand but most of my liquid assets were unwisely invested in this decaying stock market years ago and into my real estate.. Equity rich but cash poor is the story..... So basically what you once put into your house to try and pay it off you take back out and get a tax write off for it every year.. It's a rental anyway and will still pull a positive regardless.. I don't know how smart it is to talk about personal finances on the forum but I don't care so I let it fly regardless... Anyway blaa blaa blaa...

I hear you though Lex and you are right in your logic, it's all in a personal choice, risk and reward, and personal financial situation...

Obviously you don't want to blow your life savings or risk your lively hood to buy a fancy fast sportcar..:scratchchin:

I personally would take the $50K and build something outrageous.
The point is a 50k twin Z06 sporting 650whp is an outragously ride, no?... I really don't care about turning heads, don't really care for all the attention a car like that brings either...Just like the feel of the ride and the power of the ride itself, and I think it looks brutal too I must say......

Sitting in your garage wrenching on your own personal project is very cool and satisfying, but who say's you can't wrench on Z06 either..

Hey Markstoy, I like your car in the pics...It looks spunky..

CJsupra - Your 32 years of age now, check back in 8 years you maybe thinking like me, you never know...Time changes alot of things..

I think Jibbby is hitting his midlife crisis..... Go ahead buy that 50K Vette..... You will enjoy it... very much... until a 25k Lexus SC400 pass you... and give you the money Sign $$$$ LOL.. with that amount of money you can buy a house in Victorville and rent it out.

The point is a 50k twin Z06 sporting 650whp is an outragously ride, no

Yes, it is. Although it wouldn't look much different than any other C6 Vette. My $50K would be to take a wrecked C6 (which can be had pretty cheap) and a basket case early 60's Vette and build a chassis to combine them. Jay Leno did this with a C5 Vette and a Ford Torino, with good results--if you like Torinos. Anyway, it would have all the performance of the Z06 (less top end speed due to poor aerodynamics) with the styling of the earlier Vettes--which I prefer to the newer ones anyway. The perfomance could actually be better, as the hybrid car would probably weigh 500-1000lbs less than a stock Z06.

To be more practical, you could get a Factory Five kit car. I have seen the Daytona Coupe in person and it is pretty sweet. There is also a GTM, which looks very similar to the Ford GT--very exotic looking, and mid engined. $50K would build either of those to specs that would equal the performance of a Z06.

However, in the end, I realize that I am crazy and VERY few people have the skill, time, or patience to complete such projects. So to get back to the original question, I will totally agree with you. For a car you can just buy and/or do 'normal' mods to, the Vette is really the only way to go. They even make more sense financially (resale value, etc.). There is no better bang for the buck and they are great looking cars.

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY CORVETTE!!!

Mark

Lex - tell me something I don't already know... I've been in mid life crises for the last ten years or so what can I say?..:34: I guess it's safe to say I am trying to get up the balls to get the most thrills out of life before it's too late....Or that is before I am stuck in an old folks home getting spung baths twice a day from a fat old Russian lady that looks like a dude and passing the rest of my free time playing bingo with all the other old farts for pennies.....:bigok: It's all good though, that's life what can you do?... Ha Ha Ha..:jester:

Markstoy - I don't know about hail to the almighty Vette's like you say...They are not all that, atleast not the basic ones.. I just personally think the modd'd Z06 with low miles is the ultimate performance vehicle for right around 50k..Looks ok too...

Did you know even with all the basic bolt on mods such as intake, tune, cams, and exhaust ($5000) you can get the used 2006 Zo6 cruising around town with 500whp or so N/A...Even that is going to be pretty damn fast and a real thrill to drive all for maybe closer to 45 grand....

Again just sharing my personal finding and thoughts.. Thanks for listening and reading people..

Oh, and happy holloween to all....Booooooo:dance:

Attachments

• Fiat Lancia Track day 017_edited (Medium).jpg
    Fiat Lancia Track day 017_edited (Medium).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 13
Older retro cars is my thing ...
No one knows whats done to them..
They bring in fairly good resale too !!
If done right... Foose etc..
Depends on your personality ??

Ahaha ...Can't half tell Jibby is back...lol

Attachments

• Fiat Lancia Track day 013 (Small).jpg
    Fiat Lancia Track day 013 (Small).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 154
Right on Xrtt88 - I really need to give this thread a rest..I offer up this video of a stock 2006 Z06 0-190mph... As you can see that long first gear is nice and it jumps to 100mph pretty fast... After 120mph it struggles greatly, so the mods are must... This gives you guys an idea of what the 505hp Z06 does in stock form even though the driver hesitates or bogs for some reason on the throttle at 3000rpm.... It does appear to me this clown hesitates on the throttle in first gear or something..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6EiNFiLhV0&feature=related

Dyno sounds with the twin setup - turn up the computer volume for this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvgl9WZ8cWY