Stricter MPG Rules For Automakers

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stevechumo

The President Obama has proposed a stricter rule that requires all automakers to make cars and light trucks that must meet 35.5 mpg. Whooh!

For example, is that possible for a truck that consumes 16 mpg to change to consume 35.5 mpg with this new rule? What about the performance industry and hobbyists?

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30847065/

I've driven a hybrid Toyota Highlander SUV and I must say I don't like it at all.

This isn't the first time American legislation has done something like this. Look back to about 1972. and then compare the new models for 1970 and 1971 (426 hemi etc.) with those for 1975 and 1976 (176hp Corvette?). THAT is what we have to look forward to.

Things are cyclical, and just as the V8's and muscle cars seemed to be making a comeback, they will be killed off again. The good news: It's a great opportunity for those with money to invest in new cars. The 2009 Camaro & Challenger are at a similar spot to their early 70's counterparts that are now worth so much. The retro styling is true irony.

New tech as in direct injection with higher compression etc
Motors should achieve this with good ratio's ..
You cannot compare today's transmissions to the 70's..
Especially automatic vehicles..
Cruising along at 80 mph at 1500 rpm is possible now with family
vehicle, 3500 / 4500cc motor..

The change will not require ALL vehicles to meet that mileage; it is the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standard which means the average of ALL vehicles they sell must be at or above that number. This means they'll have to sell many more cars that get 45 mpg than those that get 15 mpg, for example.