Starting 1UZFE to 85 Dodge Ram

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

virtros

A while back I've inherited my grandfathers old Ram pickup and after years of faithful service the engine and tranny are in dire need of some TLC. It is just an old slant 6 and I'm not overly fond of it but the truck means something and I don't want to just get rid of it. My Pop just wants to drop a Hemi crate engine into it but I'm not too fond of the idea as the hemi's have horrid gas milage and cost a fortune. I've been drooling over the 1uzfe for a while now and I figured it would be a great swap, especially if I eventually go FI with it.

I've located a 94 SC400 drive train with low miles including the engine, tranny, ecu, engine harness, cruise, ignitor, AFM, etc.

I know I'll need an updated fuel system, and would like to use the SC400 guage cluster.

What other bits am I going to need to get this up and running off of the stock ECU for now. I plan on megasquirting it eventually for the FI but for starters I'd just like to get it us and going as stock as possible.

I've got a pretty solid electrical background (CE) but this will be my first full transplant.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions but I'll try to use the search feature as much as possible. Ther is so much information to injest on this forum. It is great....if a bit overwhelming.

Cheers,

Noah

Noah,

Welcome to this forum. This place has the most compenhensive swap information on the UZ engines than any other sites. So I am sure some swap guru will jump in very soon and share their experience with you.

Thanks for the welcome.

I've been comming across several differing opinions in regards to wiring up the engine and tranny. I've read several times over that the best thing to do is to drop the stock harness and ecu and go stand alone.

Others I read are using the stock harness and ecu to some success. I would like to have most everything more or less wired before I drop the engine in but currently I am undecided as to which approach is preferred.

If I went stand alone I would be using the a Megasquirt (either the dual dizzy option or direct with a EDIS-8, I'm not sure about which of these would work better). Another consideration is that I will be using the stock SC400 tranny so controlling that is an issue as well.

As an aside, is it possible to use the stock ecu to drive the tranny but the megasquirt to drive the engine? Or better yet, has anyone driven the tranny with a squirt? I'm not leaning towards this I'm just interested to see if it is possible. I know the triptronic harness exists for the tranny as well but I'd just as soon have a computer handle the shifting. If I have an automatic I'd prefer to just set it and forget it.

I think I'm leaning towards the Megasquirt option with the only reason being that because this is an older vehicle there isn't really any infrastructure in place that will support the new engine. (I also prefer MAP to MAF, but that is beside the point) I think the relay board that megasquirt can interact with would be very convenient.

Noah

Attachments

• IMAG0017a.JPG
    IMAG0017a.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0018a.JPG
    IMAG0018a.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0019a.JPG
    IMAG0019a.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 8
You have everything you need to do the swap.

Make sure you have all the body harnesses plugs for the ECU.

If you plan to use the SC cooling fan you will need the fan ECU (It's right beside the standard ECU) and the approriate harness.

You can simply tell the engine ECU the trans is in park or Neutral and it will run fine.

I wouldn't go Squirt unless you also go FI.

The standard ECU will have much greater drivability than the Squirt.

New engine

Well I ws finally able to go get my new engine.

Here are a few pics.

http://www.youngmensa.org/engine.html

86K miles, runs strong. Now I have to see about making some motor mounts and figuring out what to do about getting it running.

For the wiring I plan to initially try to get it going with the stock ecu. Eventually I hope for some FI but for now it will just be NA.

For the exhaust I think I'm going to go for a dual 2.5 system to magnaflows in the back. I would like a set of headers. I saw that SS Autochrome has a set of tundra (4.7L) headers that i think would fit. (Am I correct that the 4.7 (2uzfe?) and the 1uzfe have interchangable exhaust manifolds?) I have gobs of room in the engine bay so I think the fit will most likely work.

Busy days are ahead.

Noah

That is good news. I've ordered a set so we will see how the headers will work.

I'm now looking to get the fuel situation under control. The Dodge oem setup is a mechanical fuel pump (not in tank) with no return. If I'm not mistaken the 1UZ has a return so that line will need to be added. I would prefer not to have to modify the existing gas tank too much so I'm looking at using an external in-line pump and adding a return line. Are there any problems doing this? I'm assuming that the ECU will trip a relay to power on the pump at engine start time. I've read that the Toyota's don't prime the fuel rail like my Nissan does. Will an external pump have any issues with this? (ie will it have to crank away until the fuel pressure builds?) Does anyone have a particular model they feel good enough about to suggest? (or suggest to avoid for that matter... )

I'm also getting the plumbing for the hydraulic system (fan and power steering) and transmission cooler lined up. Does anyone know the AN fitting sizes for the transmission and hydraulic pump connections?

Finally, does anyone have/know of a link to a online version of the BGB/Service Manual for this car (94 Sc400)? That would help refrain me from asking some questions.

Cheers,

Noah

Well, I have a few more questions. If anyone would be so kind as to answer these (and perhaps my earlier ones) I would really appreciate it. This is kind of like show and tell with a 1UZFE.

Here is a link to a webage I threw together with the pictures and my questions.

http://www.guilbault.org/questions.html

I would normally post the pics here but they are high rez and I don't want to kill anyone's connection. Here are the questions though.

1. My biggest question. What are these wired for? At first I thought they were the the injectors but I'm pretty sure that is not the case.
2. I believe this is the fuel supply
3. I believe this is the fuel return though I might have them reversed.
4. Coolant supply?/return? for the heads? / block?
5. Coolant supply?/return? for the heads? / block?
6. Coolant supply?/return? for the throttle body?
7. Throttle body vacuum ports for ?
8. I need the plug for this connector. Anyone have a part number or a clue as to where I can get one? (If anyone has a spare they would like to sell I would appreciate it.)

Thanks,

Noah