1uz inconsistent starting

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Milkcritiques

Okay, I 1uz swapped my Toyota pickup probably about 3 years ago. I used Kevin’s wiring instruction, ran awesome, everything worked just fine.

Jump ahead to today I’m having issues. It will fire right up in the morning, run for a minute, then die, fire up again and die. Then it won’t fire at all.

Checked everything I can think of. No engine codes, has spark, has fuel. Engine came out of a U.S. 92 ls400.

I opened up the ecu, everything looked visibly fine. Checked fuses, checked relays. Nothing seems obviously wrong. I daily drove this thing for like 2 years, and now I’m having weird inconsistent problems!

My guess is ecu, it seems fairly common in my research. If it is ecu, how would I test it? Where would I even find a known good ecu these days?

These forums have been a live saver in the past, and any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Update 3: problem solved!
I guess it pays to start with the simple stuff before assuming the worst. Somehow in the month or so it was sitting quite a bit of water found its way into the fuel tank, not sure from where. Fuel smelled fine, and looked okay in the tank. Drained it, found good amount of water. Replaced with good fuel and used some ISO-Heat, which is supposed to help remove the water. Fired up and is running good now. Not sure why starter fluid wouldn’t even get it to fire, that’s why I assumed it wasn’t fuel. Either way I’m just happy it’s running again.