SSAutochrome Turbo

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
A turbo is an extremely simple machine. it is a shaft with an impeller on each end. sure, some are slightly better then other. but they are slightly better. if you think different, your fooling yourself.

By slightly better you mean the whole casting process, machining, assembly ?

There is a high difference between machining a turbo within 0.05mm tolerances (wich 99% peapole wont see any problems - everything looks fine) and 0.001mm...

Yes, a turbocharger is very simple. But needs to be made with proper tolerances and proper materials and using the right manufacture techniques..

By slightly better, I mean one turbo to be more efficient then another of the same design.
Posting tolerance numbers doesn't make one better over another, & I’m pretty sure that the clearance numbers posted are way to tight.

Some posts have stated that the SS turbos were junk cause they have a 1/8-inch of shaft play. That is standard shaft play clearance for oil.
Someone else posted that one-day the turbo stopped working and won't even make 1psi anymore, although they still hear it. It’s probably simply a boost hose came off.
If anything goes wrong, just blame the turbo, vs truly finding out what the problem is.

I’m not saying they can’t fail, but turbos are such simple things, that a failure that happens within the turbos 1st year of life is most likely installer/user error.

I'm not a sales person for SSAutochrome. I think each person should make the decision based on there own needs, but to trash talk something cause it's a good value, stating flaws which are common standard practice designs such as a 270-degree thrust bearing, and 1/8 shaft play is just dumb.
They sell a well-built cost effective turbo.

That turbo is a prototype that should have never made it out of the manufacture, but it did and was sold by accident. Then the turbo broke and it was allover the web.

That said. SSAC and XSP turbos are Chinese copies of Garrett turbos. Some are good some are not. Many will not last more than startup others might work fine for awhile. You can take then and rebuild them with Garrett guts though. They will be a decent turbo but they need to be rebuilt even when new.

This is a very interesting argument. I've been looking at these turbos alot and they seem very tempting. Some agree with the cost effective quality of the SSAutochrome turbo and some don't . Do you guys think there's another fake XS Power turbo out there? There could be 1 real XS Power and 1 fake. Since they're manufactured out of the countries that they're sold in, there's no copyright law for that, unless the manufacturer buys it in the countries that they're sold. But for cost effective, a Chinese manufacturer, wheather they're good or not, wouldn't pay for this extra cost. Because that's how they compete.

XS Power is complete ****. It has a terrible reputation here. Basically its like this, you know its cheap crap, and you buy it because you are gambling you may get a half decent one.

They also have a **** reputation in DSM land. Lots of headers made & advertised to fit the stock mitsu style round 4 bolt turbine flange, and ended up having the garett style oblong turbo flange. a huge group buy of like 60 or 100 of these were shipped out.

I've never seen a single person stick up for xs power or what ever they call them selves. **** even when one of our board memebers has problems its still " Installer error" I'm sure that lextreme's two flanges that were different sizes were also installer error. 1/8" of shaft play is not normal, even on a standard thrust bearing turbo. Am I saying that turbos don't have a little bit of shaft play from the start? no, of course you need some, but 1/8" is a little bit far fetched.

a turbo blowing smoke as a sign of installer error? I guess you've never had a turbo take a dump on you. All you see in the rear view mirror is a huge cloud of smoke every time you make boost. I had one turbo on a dsm go bad at aprox 120-130k. This is exactly what it did, but I'm sure it was installed wrong at the factory right?

No, it wasn't installed incorrectly from the factory.
What happens at high mileage is the steal seal gets oil coking on it from mileage, and poor oil, and that causes it not to seal correctly anymore. The high RPM forces more oil to the seal, and it leaks. But that and the board members of a DSM forum have nothing to do with the design of the turbo.
SS autochrome and XSpower are Chinese copies of a Garret turbo.
Are they as good as garret? I don't know the answer to that.
I have seen multiple SS autochrome turbots installed correctly, and none of them have failed.
**”This is what I am telling you guys.”**
I have seen them installed on multiple Hondas, a TT Corvette, BMWs, my corolla, and my Lexus and none of them have failed.
Now if you'd like to post what they say in other forums, and hear what the inventory level of turbos is in Holland, then this is the place to be.

1/8" of shaft play is not normal, even on a standard thrust bearing turbo. Am I saying that turbos don't have a little bit of shaft play from the start? no, of course you need some, but 1/8" is a little bit far fetched.

ever wiggled the shaft of an old T4? i can make the blades touch the housing.

and that's freshly reco'd.

the oil pressure and centrifugal force at speed keep the shaft centralised.

No, it wasn't installed incorrectly from the factory.
What happens at high mileage is the steal seal gets oil coking on it from mileage, and poor oil, and that causes it not to seal correctly anymore. The high RPM forces more oil to the seal, and it leaks. But that and the board members of a DSM forum have nothing to do with the design of the turbo.
SS autochrome and XSpower are Chinese copies of a Garret turbo.
Are they as good as garret? I don't know the answer to that.
I have seen multiple SS autochrome turbots installed correctly, and none of them have failed.
**”This is what I am telling you guys.”**
I have seen them installed on multiple Hondas, a TT Corvette, BMWs, my corolla, and my Lexus and none of them have failed.
Now if you'd like to post what they say in other forums, and hear what the inventory level of turbos is in Holland, then this is the place to be.

Funny, that car was turbo timed & run on mobile 1 full synthetic for most of its life.

There's a saying I heard passed around most automotive forums. You can either build it right once, or build it cheap, the rebuild it right the next time. I wonder which costs more in the long run?

Just beacuse they're copys of garret turbos doesn't mean that they have anyone working for them that knows more about turbos than how to rip off some one elses desing. Quality of materials used, quality of manufacture, tolerences, how clean the assembly area is, and more can all play a roll. When 98% of all the reviews on these turbos say they are ****, thats saying something. When a company as shitty as turbochargers.com wants to distance them selves from this product, thats saying something. Turbochargers.com is the king of missmatched, half assed mitsubish/garrett hybrids. From the old frankenstein turbos to the newer "killer t28's"

I have used them, and have never had a failure.
I don't know what turbo.com or the DSM forums opinions are.
I prefer to think for myself. Like building my TT 6-Speed SC400 vs. reading about Eagle Talons.
Like I said if you want to hear what people are reading in other forums reposted here, then your in the right place.
What else do the DSM guys say i should do.:sleeping:

ever wiggled the shaft of an old T4? i can make the blades touch the housing.

and that's freshly reco'd.

the oil pressure and centrifugal force at speed keep the shaft centralised.

Yeah, but you are talking about a rebuilt "old" T4. We're taking about "Brand new" Garrett copies. Modern turbo's have smaller tolerances to increase the efficiency of the turbo.

i'm more pointing to the fact that older technology (no water cooled cores) has more play in it (like you also said) than newer cores.

we're kinda arguing the same point i think.

You guys are discussing the shaft play that someone estimated. and a 1/16th of clearance on each side is standard for a bronze bushing turbo, which is what these turbos are.
Ball bearing turbos are different, but the 1/8 shaft play is standard.

You guys are discussing the shaft play that someone estimated. and a 1/16th of clearance on each side is standard for a bronze bushing turbo, which is what these turbos are.
Ball bearing turbos are different, but the 1/8 shaft play is standard.

i dont think broken is supposed to come as standard though. and besides, you have to have some mechanical reason to explain why your brand new turbo just blew up. if the shaft moves 1/8th of an inch, it should be able to take the abuse for a bit longer than a few hundred miles. it might be installer error, and it might just be a shitty turbo, and it might be both. arguing about it isnt going to fix it.

Attachments

• Scan0022.jpg
    Scan0022.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Scan0020.jpg
    Scan0020.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Scan0021.jpg
    Scan0021.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 4
I actually never measured any shaft play of the turbos, although I've been around the turbos for quite a bit. What I know is all turbos have some little shaft plays for the oil, and that's normal.

I have used XSP 3 or 4 time now! and that was over a year ago.........Turbo and wastegate and some more bits. Turbo is still running very well and the WG is doing the job :) what else can i say.......

But then saying that the 1st turbo they sent me, did smoke bad......and it was only on the car for 2 days, took it of the car phoned them and told them what was up and they said they would send me a new! one out right away.........with in 7 days the NEW turbo was at my door and thats the Turbo im still running now and that was 18 months ago

all i can say they must be doing something right as they have SOLD over 50,000 items on Ebay

But each to there own............

Attachments

• IsmonLS400.zip
    1 KB · Views: 10
Hi guys i know some of you dont like the SS Turbos and so on, well i had a manifold of them over a year ago and i have just taken it of my IS as i will not be needing it any more.........and it still looks as good as the day i put it on there apart from the colour,