RE: 1jz vs. 1uz

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sweetlikechutny

Hello,

I am looking to import a RHD soarer from japan. I would prefer it to be a 1uz with a 5speed, but that option is not available. I am thinking to just import the 1jz with a 5sp and swap in the 1uz. What option would you guys go with and why?

From the looks of it if I swap in a 1uz in a 1jz car with a 5speed it would be cheaper as the 1uz is a cheap motor and I can collect some more money from the 1jz, but where would I be able to get a bellhousing?

My long term goals are to have a 1uz with twin turbos. How much can a stock 1uz handle?

Thanks.

I test drove a 1jzgte SC300 with auto. I must say it am not impress with it. I took off like my 2.4L Previa van. Boost comes on and the car pulls at around 3k to 5k and everything flat out. The 1j has stock turbos with 10 psi. Not too impress with it.

i would think it would be a little easyer to do a tranny swap on the 1uz car then a motor swap on the 1jz car.

i woiuld go for the 1jz manual

i have a 1uz auto in my hilux i dont get to excited over it anymore

i know this is a 1uz site but i would get a 1j any day

u can always get easier paower from a 1jz aswell

1uz u really have to twin turbo for very very good gains

but dont go auto they are very sluggish unless u get them kitted

end of the day a soarer is a bloody heavy car

nothing std in it is goin to put a smile on yr face

what are the future plans for the car

do u want just to up power mldly or spend big on it

i would think it would be a little easyer to do a tranny swap on the 1uz car then a motor swap on the 1jz car.

I happen to agree with Jake. The wiring would be nearly complete with only the need for slight modifications to account for the different transmission once you swap in the 5spd.

Getting power out of either engine will take money so the argument that you can get easier power out of a 1jz is a moot point for me. I would get the car with the 1uz and learn to drive it first before doing a bunch of power adding upgrades. Too many people want to just jump into a high horsepower car without first learning their own capabilities and that of the car as well.

Well I have a supra (7m-gte). I am just looking for a better car to drive in winter then a supercharged mr2. So basically I just want the soarer to have a bit of a kick. My supra will be the focus of my fun. Looks like I should just get the 1jz then. I hate auto transmissions. They make me mad!!!

Who knows...maybe someday I could put a 1uz in the supra. I just love the sound of the 1uz, and potential seems endless.

Wow, I just came across a very clean 1uz, with an auto in a 92 sc400. I am very tempted to buy this, but I could not live with an auto. What is involved in swapping the transmission and for a r154? Any other trannys compatible with this engine?

Wow, I just came across a very clean 1uz, with an auto in a 92 sc400. I am very tempted to buy this, but I could not live with an auto. What is involved in swapping the transmission and for a r154? Any other trannys compatible with this engine?

For any manual swap you will need a flywheel and clutch/pp (of course)
For the R154 swap you can contact Thor Racing, Dellows, or CRS, all of which are outside of the country to get adapters, bell housings or even full swap kits. You can also use a TTC Performance adapter which can be obtained right here in the US and a 1JZ bell housing (method I am using, bell housing should arrive for Champion Toyota on Thursday and then all I need is a clutch/pp but I can do a mock up while I am waiting).

The W58 series also has some options which involve purchasing adapters or fabricating your own. Jake is doing this option.

A new option which is currently being explored is the H-series 5spd transmission which came on the Land Cruisers in the mideast region.

I think I will look into the 1jz bellhousing method. They are commoly availible on supra sites. Could I also use the supra aisin hydrolics? What is the rough estimate of cost I am looking at? (if you don't mind me asking)

I think I will look into the 1jz bellhousing method. They are commoly availible on supra sites. Could I also use the supra aisin hydrolics? What is the rough estimate of cost I am looking at? (if you don't mind me asking)

Still using the pull-type hydraulics if that is what you mean. So far my total expenses, just for the transmission parts, has been:

SuperRunner's flywheel $300 (still waiting on a small refund though which will drop the cost slightly although I am going to have it rebalanced so that may negate any refund....hint, hint Rob)

1JZ bell housing $300

TTC Performance adapter $450

Stage 3 F1 Racing Clutch kit (eBay clutch kit) for sorting purposes $234 (hasn't been purchased yet, but will be in the next month)

I may also need to replace the PP mounting hardware such as the clips and washers that pack on with it onto the hub but I am not sure. These shouldn't add significantly to the cost.

Prices do not include shipping. So the total including the unpurchased clutch kit is $1284 without shipping and misc. bits of hardware (if required) to convert the Supra 7M-GTE R154 to mount to the 1UZ-FE. This keeps the same hydraulics, shifter location, and transmission location so nothing else changes.