1UZFE Torque Converter Vs 1JZ Auto

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

digitalmick

Hi Guys!

First time poster, long time reader.

I have a Mk3 A70 Supra that has a 1UZFE conversion.
The 1UZFE's original A341 Auto was ditched and replaced with a A340 from a 1JZ Soarer.

Even with manual switching for the Torque converter lockup, it wont engage.

Does anyone know if the 1UZ Torque converter will successfully work with a 1JZ A340 transmission or do I need a custom torque converter made?

The car drives fine as such, except there is no lock up.

I do find that occasionally the A340 gets quite hot however its hooked to a decent trans cooler and has fresh fluid. :eek:

probably find there is a different spline on the input shaft, the TCC in the factory converters is very small and can not hold a great deal of power

That is what I was thinking, maybe the spline was different.

As I can engage the Torque converter solenoid on the gearbox but it doesnt make any difference when driving.

Funny enough, the car drives fine besides that (most of the time) occasionally it gets sluggish and the auto gets quite warm.

Last edited:
I have been told that the pump and input shafts are different sized between the V8 and 6 cyl boxes.

So its either get this box modded to suit the V8 or Manual conversion...

The autos between 1UZ/1J/2J (and we'll even throw the Surf/4runner auto in for good measure) are for all intensive purposes effectively the same unit. The differences lie in valve body spring tensions for differing pressures, Wiring is different as are some of the speed sensors and their triggers. I mean with what I do for a living (UZs into Surf or Hilux etc) I'm surprised that the box even works, I mean I've seen and have had to try and sort conversions where people have tried to use the Surf auto behind a 1UZ (the expense there puts people off a propper repair so manual is the order of the day unless they really want to stay auto wich means finding out what the engine is out of then finding the correct trans and correcting any wiring mods). In the case of these you either end up with a "Box full of neutrals" or if some bright spark has made it work it won't shift out of first in low range and thus cooling problems.

I would side with Mick here and say go manual or look towards it even if your pocket isn't upto it atm. Otherwise unless you find and fit the correct auto you may end up chasing your tail and spending a whole lot of dosh that you don't need to..

Irony of all this is I threw 3 Celsior auto trannys out last month