Procharged 1992 SC400 "Fish bracket setup"

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Looking good! Do you have any plan to dyno it to see the number? :biggrin:

I would love to Steve but its going to have to wait until I graduate in July. Then i'll be back in CA permanently and I can get some more fine tuning done. It pulls pretty hard at this 4,000 foot elevation. I am debating a smaller 3.2" pulley to bump me up to 9psi and I plan to upgrade to walbro 255 whern I get there. I ran 7psi on my OEM pump w/o any issue for a solid year so stock will do for now. I really need to get my detonation fixed ASAP, there is a 1997 mustang Cobra that wants to race. Its the 4.6 DOHC w/o the supercharger so its going to be cake =) It puts out barely over 300bhp (just intimidating with its growl.)

Engine is Blown!!! (not in a good way)

Took my ride across town for a few errands and all of a sudden the hood started spouting exhaust and the cab quickly filled w/ exhaust soon after. I assumed I cracked a header merge or possibly an 02 sensor came loose but no. I fired it up w/ the hood open and you could see my catch can blowing mad exhaust out of the breather filter.... and I mean A LOT!! I 2x checked compression again and found a cylinder with zero comp. End of the day I decided I had a blown ring. Tearing the engine apart to repalce the 1 ring will be more than a second engine costs so its 1 out... 1 in.

I just bought a used 150k 1uz for $550 and will be swapping it sometime this week.

Ok, I just swapped a 120,000k UZ and its running like a top. After taking apart my old uz, I had a really bad ring, so much that the edge of the crown was rubbing the side of the bore in 1 spot. I always wondered why the smootheness went away but I guess this explains it. I also noticed 2psi more vacuum so I can rest assured I have a storng UZ, and after a CR test, I noticed 10psi higher across all 8. I have to takew my dog it to the vet tomorrow but should have the blower back on and hopefully everything is soolid once again.

Just ordered a smaller pulley off Procharger's site. Upgrading from 3.4" to 3.2". If my math is right, it should give 9psi total. Last time, I had some fuel flow left on my rising rate so it should be my max right now if i run its max of 12:1. The engine used to get down to 8:1 under WOT so i had to knock it down from 12:1 to 8:1. So far this setup is very streetable and i have noticed a few mpg improvement under cruising. I took a modded 07' mustang GT this morning and an SRT4 caliber on the way to class. Its a blast even up in the thin colorado air.

Once i'm back in July I promise to get some real numbers to back it up.

Thanks Pheonix. The car finally runs right but it took an engine + 3 belts to get the bugs ironed out. All I need now is to sort out a reasonably priced 6-speed swap. I need the 6th gear to tame my 4.27 final drive on the freeway. I hate sitting at 3,000 at 75rpm.

I just calculated my blower rpm with the 3.2" pulley and it looks like 49,000rpm with the uz's small 6" crank dampner. I have another 12,000rpm of ceiling left so I should be able to get another 6psi out of it until the unit maxes out, or 15psi efficiently. I know procharger makes hybrid ceramic bearing upgrades that can take 67,000rpm so if need be i can raise this units capacity from 15psi to 17-18psi. Pretty nice capabiltiy from prochargers entry level unit.

Just ordered a smaller pulley off Procharger's site. Upgrading from 3.4" to 3.2". If my math is right, it should give 9psi total. Last time, I had some fuel flow left on my rising rate so it should be my max right now if i run its max of 12:1. The engine used to get down to 8:1 under WOT so i had to knock it down from 12:1 to 8:1. So far this setup is very streetable and i have noticed a few mpg improvement under cruising. I took a modded 07' mustang GT this morning and an SRT4 caliber on the way to class. Its a blast even up in the thin colorado air.

Once i'm back in July I promise to get some real numbers to back it up.
Modded Mustang GT and SRT4 are no match for a boosted 1UZ at 9 psi. I could testify that. I smoked a SRT4 before at 9 psi. :D

Whats really funny was that the srt-4 caliber took me in traffic one day but I was N/A at the time (just swapped replacement engine). When he tried a 2nd time I blew him away like he was riding a skateboard. I'm sure the guy was scratching his head lol.

As of right now i'm trying to hunt for modded vettes and SRT-8's. This town is FULL of domestics w/ arrogant drivers so its a blast to drive a car that is unknown out here.

Steve

My engine is starting to miss and wondered if its time to swap plugs? Stock heat range and gap but they are denso iridium IX's. Should i knock the gap down to .34 or so?

You want to rule the streets? LOL. Release the beast.

I don't normally gap the plugs if they're pre-gapped from the factory. Some plug companies don't recommend gapping either. The problem may not be the far gap between the electrode and the tip. It may be the heat range. I'd try to swap to cheap NGK V-2 plugs (specifically made for LS or SC that has the heat range of 6) to see if the engine still has misfire. I've been running cheap NGK V-2 with no problem.

Just a story to share. I went to a local store and ordered a set of NGK plugs. The guy gave me a set of plugs having the range of 5. Luckily that I researched before, so I told him they're wrong and didn't buy them. If I had used them on my car, the engine could have been blown due to the hotter range. Smaller range is hotter.

You want to rule the streets? LOL. Release the beast.

So far this little town in south Colorado hasn't the slightest idea what a Lexus is, not to mention whats under the hood. I get a GT stang revving me almost once a day going to/from school. After a while they just stayed away L OL. Right now I have been hunting for a local SRT8 charger and a whipple'd stang that lives close by. Im not a street racing fan but out here, there is almost zero penalty for driving insanely fast. My friend's VH45 swapped 240sx got clocked 35 over down main street and walked away with just a $120 ticket! No jail time no car crushing like CA, just a slap on the wrist. I have a few weeks out here before I permanently move back to southern CA so I might as well.. "Sow my automotive oats" haha. We have our local friday Night Drags coming up in a few weeks so i'll be able to post up some real 1/4 times.

**UPDATE**

My Synapse FMU just failed today. It burst its diaphram and gave my engine a fuel bath before I could cut it off. Very glad it never reached the dizzys. Anyway I am planning on ordering a BLOX fMU tomorrow but they are sold with pre-set ratios (from 2:1 up to 12:1). At 9psi, what would be the closest match w/o raising the pressure too high? I am running a walbro 255 "high pressure" version. Last setup at 7psi was insanely rich at 12:1 so maybe 8:1 this time?

I wish the forum could bring back the "edit post" feature. I always remember details just after submitting. Anyway I just want to say that the stock Toyota Denso O2 sensors are pretty darn reliable. My header O2 bung is oriented incorrectly and it aims down into the crossmember. I bent the sensor while dropping the engine into the car and once bolted up, the sensor still works even though its bent into a 110 degree curve. I slathered the body/tail section merge with JBWeld and the entire unit is air tight again. Its voltage is the same as the stock driver side sensor. I heard about 2JZ sensors being bent to suit clearance issus so I figured why wouldn't the UZ sensor take well to a bend?

DSCN0970.jpg

This was taken BEFORE the JB weld, but thats all it needed. Cant bear early generation engineering.

That O2 sensor looks like it may give up soon. lol. Bad position on the bung there. If you don't care about the look, you can extend the 02 bung and use the OEM sensor. You can go to a hardware store, buy a 90 degree steel pipe fitting with the diameter of either 3/4" or 1" and the length of about 1". 1" diameter is better. That fitting is used for house plumping. Take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld it to the header O2 bung. Then weld another O2 bung at the end of that extension. Then you can plug the OEM sensor to it.

As long as the exhaust gas can reach the sensor, it'll be fine.

i have been fitting my vortech v2 using the series two fish bracket to my sc400 and the supercharger hits the bonnet. did u have this problem with the procharger??
looks like i have to take about a inch out of the fish to make it clear.
im also about to purchase the vortech 12:1 FMU and a 3.2 inch pulley and hope to pumping around nine psi.

have been fitting my vortech v2 using the series two fish bracket to my sc400 and the supercharger hits the bonnet. did u have this problem with the procharger??

My procharger clears the hood with just a couple mm to spare. Make sure your transmission mount is new, a worn out mount can let the trans "sag" and in turn, will tilt the front of the engine up a tiny bit. If your V2 is clockable, try playing around w/ its orientation and if need be, trim the top of the bracket to suit. I had this same setup under an LS400 a while back and it rubbed a bit buit still fit w/o banging/rattling.

Congrats on supercharging your SC, they are totally streetable and raised my mpg a soilid 3-4 on the highways. I love this simple setup. make sure you upgrade the plugs to a colder range, and make sure you swap fuel pumps for a walbro 255 high output version. Asisde from that its a very straightforward install.

Steve, that pic is a bit off, once I bolted the motor mounts, the sensor now has an inch of space from itself and the crossmember. Its currently perfectly sealed, putting out an exactly matched voltage signal as compared to the other side. I have a pile of OEM sensor in my garage so I think i'll wait and see how many rounds it can endure. 2JZ guys bend them to fit 4"+ downpipes sometimes.