Newbie questions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ozzie

Hi guys! I'm new around here, and I didn't realize how many "ozzies" are on the board until I started looking at the locations, after I'd registered. I'm not from "oz", I just get called "ozzie" because of my name. And yes, I'm the same "ozzie" as on celica-gts.com, I see a few of the other guys from there are also members here.

I've got an '84 Celica GT that I'm seriously considering dropping a 1uz into, and I'm trying to get all the various aspects of it figured out before I start, so hopefully no major problems arise, say, when I go to start the motor. I live in Maine, where the only V8s that exist to anyone who wants to build a motor are carb'd SBCs, so anything I buy I've gotta get off the internet. I'm also going to have to tune it myself, the only dyno shop around specializes in diesels, so they don't do tuning, and they want an arm and a leg for 3 runs.

Anyways, I think a little more searching has answered most of the questions I started with, but I've still got a couple. I think I want to start out with a low-boost turbo, say 3-5psi, could the stock internals handle that alright? That way I've got a little extra power now, and if I decide down the road I'm not happy with the performance, I can beef up the bottom end, slap on a bigger turbo, and really have some fun. But, is there any company that makes a manifold that would (perhaps with some modification) fit through, well, here?

4547e25d.jpg

EDIT: I guess n00bs can't post images?

GtEunuch is running the same drivetrain I will be (w58 in stock location with a w58->1uz bell housing), and I'll be running a pusher fan with a similar radiator, so that's something like what my engine bay will look like. Ideally, I'd like to have the turbo over where he's got the MAF (and the 22re used to have the air box), and I'd replace the MAF with a MAP sensor. If not, any chance of anything that runs around the back of the motor, or underneath somehow? Or is there at least a company making a DIY header kit with the flanges and some piping?

Also, how interchangeable are parts across the 1uz lineup? Are all the blocks the same, or do they differ through the years, or even between models? Do the motor mounts have different bosses that are threaded depending on the application, or is it just the mounts themselves that differ? I read that the CR (and hp) went up in '94 from 10.1:1 to 10.4:1, is that just because of different pistons, or was there a new head design too? And if it is just pistons, can they be swapped? And the CR increase to 10.5:1 in 97, is that just because of the VVTI head?

Is there any reason not to run MegaSquirt with one of these? Assuming I buy a non-VVTI motor that is. Anything horribly incompatible or that makes buying a "real" EMS worth it? I don't see MS mentioned a lot on here, and I do see a lot of other various standalones and piggybacks being used, which is why I ask.

Last edited:
Ozzie, welcome to Lextreme.

We do have some Celica owners who have done the swap (JustenGT8 who has a TT beast of a GT4, plus a couple others).

Several owners run MegaSquirts as well (MarksToys is one, IIRC)