Newbie With a Good Bunch of Embaressing Questions ! :)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

CoffeeAddict

Hi :)

I'm sorry I've been lurking around for a while and haven't introduced my self properly. I guess I was kind of hoping I can sneak in, steal all the info I need, and sneak out, without having to embaress my self with all the nube questions I'll be showering you with shortly. How do you do :)

Before I get on with my questions, may I thank you all for this great forum - probably one of the best, most informative and educational I have come across.

Alright, here's the deal. So I have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever - despite being a mechanical engineer, ironically - and I would like to start working on a project, and maybe build my own track/race/fun car. Long story short, I had my mind set on swapping a 1UZFE from a '94 LS400 into a '79 RX30 round-eyed Cressida. I thought I would use the original drive train - automatic tranmission, driveshaft, differential - to avoid as much complications as possible, add a paddle-shift conrtoller, maybe strip out the interior down to metal, and fit a couple of race buckets, a functional aftermarket dash perhaps, you know. If things go well, I might even throw in some expensive performance brakes and suspensions, light weight wheels and expensive tires.

Now, kind sirs, to the first and most important question; Is this even possible ? with zero mechanical experience (I mean zero !) ? with all the electric wiring, and the ECU reprogramming or whatever is it it'll need to get us moving ? And with all the fabrications and modifications ? I mean I guess I can pay to get whatever I couldn't do my self done, but if at the end I'll end up paying for the whole project to be built for me, I will have missed the point completely - this was intended to be a cheap junkyard project, built in my back yard, with the help of whatever I can get my hands on from internet websites, manuals, DIY's, etc. Money is not an issue, though.

If your answer is No, then kindly answer question number 2. If your answer is Yes, then kindly answer the rest of the technical questions - 3 through 6.

2- If you don't think this is a good idea, and it's not possible for me to go through something like that, what would you suggest ? I wish to fit a V8 in a RWD, ridiculously light weight, preferably Japanese and understated, sedan. It needs to be a junkyard cheap save, and it needs to have a good chassis that handles.

3- What will I need to do with the ECU ?

4- Since I'm not planning on going stock, will the tranmission and differential take up to at least 400 HP ?

5- I don't want it to be an automatic, and I don't think with my level of expertise I'm capable of doing the mods needed to mate the engine to a manual (W58 I bilieve is the popular choice ?), so a controlled auto is my best choice. So how quick can the gear shifts get with whatever's the best controller out there ?! and actually what IS the best controller out there ?

6- Where can I find all the literature I need ?

I EXTREMELY apologise for my lengthy post, expressive abilities reduce to half when you're sprinting in a second language :( which brings us to the second apology; sorry about the poor English you had to soldier through :(

and many many thanks in advance !

Good Day,

Welcome to Lextreme, and no apologies needed for your English. It's better than some here whose 1st language is "supposed" to be English.

Since you're a mechanical engineer, you'll have the fundamentals of knowing a good way of doing something vs a cobbled up job, but you lack practical experience.

So, I would suggest that you find a shop with an old senior mechanic type who can help you through the practical side of this, provide a lift when you need it, welding and cutting when it's required, and just give you some moral support and "practical" insight on what can & can't be done.

On the electrical side, Toyota wiring diagrams are very easy to follow, and if you're only trying to build a racecar, and don't need a lot of other accessories to work, the job of wiring the car becomes much easier.

I don't have experience putting the 1UZ into an old Cressida, but at least 1-2 of our members have done it, so it "can" be done. If you do a search of the site, hopefully their projects will pop up, and you can get some ideas.

Definitely wouldn't suggest tackling this alone if you've never wrenched on a car before. That's a good way to get in over your head, become demoralised and then lose interest. If you can team up with someone who's been there, you'll learn things a lot faster, and the project will be a lot more fun.

Good luck!

Yep.. Good on you.. What do you intend to do with the project ??
Track circuit, rally cross, drags etc ??
Makes a difference on how suspension etc is set up..
Oh and if you plan on having it road registered ?? I assume not ??
As with most Mustang / Comaro's there are front suspension crossmembers that can be bought etc so I guess it pays to check what is available for your body first .. I guess Supra parts will bolt in with some fabrication ???
As with most these forums ... TAKE PLENTY of good pics and upload on photobucket etc.. Then we all have an international think tank how it can be done..
Also being international ?? Parts etc can come from around the globe..
personally I would use the T5/6 Tremec.. The issue is finding an adapter to make it all fit.. I'm sure this is where Dellow etc can help out??
If you plane on N/A engine I suggest latter model VVT heads, induction..
But I may be getting a little too far a head...
Noth ing wrong with your english..
Welcome to the forums...
Graeme...

cribbj,

Thanks for taking the time :) I guess you're right about all three of your points. Especially, the fact that I might lose interest entirely if the road gets so bumpy for a long period of time. I might consider having my first project done by a mechanic :( only if it's my last resource, though.

And yes, I did find a good number of build journals here and on some other forums - the project seems quite popular in Australia. But I guess pictured journals can't walk you through the whole job. Wishful thinking, again heh.

Yep.. Good on you.. What do you intend to do with the project ??
Track circuit, rally cross, drags etc ??
Makes a difference on how suspension etc is set up..
Oh and if you plan on having it road registered ?? I assume not ??
As with most Mustang / Comaro's there are front suspension crossmembers that can be bought etc so I guess it pays to check what is available for your body first .. I guess Supra parts will bolt in with some fabrication ???
As with most these forums ... TAKE PLENTY of good pics and upload on photobucket etc.. Then we all have an international think tank how it can be done..
Also being international ?? Parts etc can come from around the globe..
personally I would use the T5/6 Tremec.. The issue is finding an adapter to make it all fit.. I'm sure this is where Dellow etc can help out??
If you plane on N/A engine I suggest latter model VVT heads, induction..
But I may be getting a little too far a head...
Noth ing wrong with your english..
Welcome to the forums...
Graeme...

Hi Graeme ! Thanks for taking the time.

Well ..

- Mainly track driving. And yes, I plann on spending good money on wheels/tires, brakes and suspensions.
- In my region I think (and it's a stressed I think) it's easy to get it road regitered. A lot more so than in the US, that's for sure. However if it isn't, that won't be a problem, it's just a toy car not a daily driver.
- True, it seems lots of Supra parts either bolt right in, or with minor fabrocations. Or so I read.
- Of course I will ! It's the least contribution one can make in return of all the knowledge this forum provides. ahem, well this and the fact that I will be needing constant help on my project hehe.
- I guess yes, I'm going to be heavily relying on importaed parts, since there seem to be lots of after market companies based in the US and Europe that provide parts for this kind of project.
- No, you were right to bring it up. I WAS going for a latter model at first, but then I thought even if it isn't in the near future, I wouldn't wanna eliminate my options for forced induction in the future, and I thought replacing a transmission is much easier than replacing a whole engine, and so I decided to go with a '94. Open for debate though :)

Thanks for the encouragement !

Aha I see your in Kuwait !!!
I have to ask ???
Are you a Kuwaiti ?? Just interested in people around the globe..

I like to have a good mechanic or machinist help me do things BUT I also like to learn myself.. Unless you have a bucket load of money ??
One thing is the pride when you FINALLY finish what you started. You did most of it with your own hands etc... Another Henry Ford... In Australia most suspension parts come from Japan and adapters, ECU's are made local...

Last edited:
Aha I see your in Kuwait !!!
I have to ask ???
Are you a Kuwaiti ?? Just interested in people around the globe..
Yep ! nice meeting you too heh

I like to have a good mechanic or machinist help me do things BUT I also like to learn myself.. Unless you have a bucket load of money ??
One thing is the pride when you FINALLY finish what you started. You did most of it with your own hands etc... Another Henry Ford... In Australia most suspension parts come from Japan and adapters, ECU's are made local...
Exactly. Which is why I'm taking my warrior stance and putting up a fierce fight, before I resign to that last resource - having someone do the job for me. The sense of achievement, and the love affair is what I'm after, not the end result :(

I really hope one way or another I can personally work on this. Or most of it at least. Regardless of whether I have a bucket load of money, for so long I have yearned for the day to come when "I build" my own car. I thought this project may be a good first step towards learning.

Attachments

• IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1114.JPG
    IMG_1114.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 133
Drink plenty of coffee these projects can take a while.

Mine took 4 years and I'm still working on it.

Enjoy the ride.

: (

I really hope I'd be the exception of the rule. You see, I've been looking forward to do this for a long, long time now that I'm actually worried the minute I start this project I'll become so obsessed with it that the rest of my life is going to develop and progress as slowly as your projects.

Right now I am only being held back by the lack of space. I can't seem to find a place for me to work. You're probably thinking "surely you have a backyard or a friend of yours has an unused garage space or something" and truth of the matter is no, I don't : (

I've even gone as far as to consider renting a warehouse (wearhouse ?! pardon my spelling) ... I'm working on it and I'm sure I'll sort it out one way or another.

Now that my humble thread has been revived, I'll seize the opportunity and ask yet another question; Any good websites for downloading manuals and good useful texts ?!

Apologies if the question violates any forum rules :) if so, just ignore it ..
and many thanks in advance ...

Don't get discouraged already! The suggestion to team with someone that has experience was just that - "team" with someone.

Don't have them do all the work - you get in there and do the grunt stuff while the experienced guy gets you past the rough spots, and hopefully keeps you from making too many expensive mistakes. Make no mistake, it'll take a special person to work with you this way - most don't have the patience to do it.

It'll probably cost you more as well, because you'll actually be doing sort of an apprenticeship, so think of it as paying for an education as well as a project.

You did say "Money is not an issue....." in your first post......

An excellent website for Toyota technical information is their TIS service. It's by subscription, and not cheap, but it contains nearly all the technical info you'll ever need on Toyota's products. Of particular interest is their writeups from the NCF's or New Car Features books. These give you the background of how things work, and what they're for.

https://techinfo.toyota.com

BTW, my Supercharged Supra project is entering its 6th year, but I tend to get sidetracked pretty easily, and getting the motor in the car has never been "Priority 1" for me.

Don't get discouraged already! The suggestion to team with someone that has experience was just that - "team" with someone.

Don't have them do all the work - you get in there and do the grunt stuff while the experienced guy gets you past the rough spots, and hopefully keeps you from making too many expensive mistakes. Make no mistake, it'll take a special person to work with you this way - most don't have the patience to do it.

It'll probably cost you more as well, because you'll actually be doing sort of an apprenticeship, so think of it as paying for an education as well as a project.

You did say "Money is not an issue....." in your first post.......
Oh no, giving up is not an option, don't worry about that. I'll do this if I had to use my own bedroom !

I said money was not an issue when it was just about the build, throw in the educational experience and I'm willing to spend 4 times the already exaggerated budget I originally intended for this project. I would pay this much for any of those ... uhmmmm, what are they called ... You know, those afternoon schools were you apply for some 9-months mechanics program, and get some sort of Diploma or something. The probelem is .. I highly doubt in my region I'll find someone who's willing to do that. I did, however, start looking into it after you suggested and I got all excited and all. Still searching. I'll also join a few local forums and ask if anyone there knows any place that does this sort of thing, and in case not, if anyone over there is willing to help.

An excellent website for Toyota technical information is their TIS service. It's by subscription, and not cheap, but it contains nearly all the technical info you'll ever need on Toyota's products. Of particular interest is their writeups from the NCF's or New Car Features books. These give you the background of how things work, and what they're for.

https://techinfo.toyota.com
Very interesting !

BTW, my Supercharged Supra project is entering its 6th year, but I tend to get sidetracked pretty easily, and getting the motor in the car has never been "Priority 1" for me.
Well I guess some of us like to take things at thier own pace hehe.

But six years with the poor thing's engine hanging out ! o_O

Where you are at present I obviously don't know ...
But places like drag strips were they have test and tune days is where you find
guys with all the knowledge.. Not necessary a mechanics workshop..
Here in Aussie its called TAFE [Tech advanced further education] Or night school for short things like welding etc.. I've checked out the local yellow pages, visited there workshops etc also...
Check other tech forums where they may get more into the tech side of engine building.. Where I live I have found www.theturboforums.com to help me heaps when it come to actual turbo tech..
Ask here you'll be surprised.. Aha ...It's easy giving advice as it's NOT costing me anything..

It's easy giving advice as it's NOT costing me anything..
I can't thank you enough for your generosity of spirit, sir.
Where you are at present I obviously don't know ...
But places like drag strips were they have test and tune days is where you find
guys with all the knowledge.. Not necessary a mechanics workshop..
Here in Aussie its called TAFE [Tech advanced further education] Or night school for short things like welding etc.. I've checked out the local yellow pages, visited there workshops etc also...
Check other tech forums where they may get more into the tech side of engine building.. Where I live I have found www.theturboforums.com
I'm in Kuwait. Unfortunately we don't have things like tracks and track days. We used to but from what I heared, it turned into some kind of an officially acknowledged club, and from there on it became an arena of political boxing matches, and then it closed. The F1 circuit in Bahrain (whatever it's called) is a few hours drive from me, but that's just about it.

Still though, I know there are comunities, and social gatherings, I just have to look hard enough. I had a Mustang weekend toy once, and when I finally managed to blow its engine I sold it (scrapped obviously) to a guy who does the wierdest builds, and mates the oddest combinations of transmissions and engines I ever came across. I know HE built quite a good number of cars in his time. Maybe I should ring him up too.