Need help on SC400/GS400 auto to manual swap!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

R-Jay

Wow, im surprised no-one answered this post... i wonder if this guy is still around (seeing as he's only posted once)... Anyhow, im doing an engine swap plus manual conversion to the 1uz for my mk4 supra..... Anyhow, ill try and answer the questions with the limited knowledge i do have...

1. Basically, you can use any of the oem ecu's from the 1uz equipped cars as long as they used a seperate controller for the auto trans ... im using a toyota crown computer... also, you can use many different aftermarket ecu's (autronic, haltech etc)

2. Pretty much any strong 5/6 speed box, though the most commonly used one is the supra turbo 5spd from the 7mgte or 1jzgte, both from the mk3 supra turbo (r154). If you have money though, you could use a mk4 supra v160 or v161 6spd box. Also, you might be able to mate other boxes from other makers.... Im using the r154.
Bellhousing and gearbox adaptor kits can be bought from Dellow automotive (Sydney, Australia) or Castlemaine Rod Shop (Victoria, Australia)... if u need contact details, just let me know.

3. Im having a custom 1 piece tailshaft made to mate my gearbox to a supra TT LSD diff and using the supra TT driveshafts... im not expecting to have many problems with this setup.

4. This is the list of parts im using (let me know if im missing anything)
1uzfe soarer engine, toyota crown wiring harness and ecu, supra r154 gearbox with rod shop bellhousing kit (everything i need including flywheel bearings etc), custom 1 piece tailshaft, supra TT diff and driveshafts.. ive missed alot of little things.. they will come to me as i do my conversion... most of this work will be done by myself and my friend with a little help from a sparky and engineer....

ill do a complete write up as i do the conversion... but that wont happen for a couple more months due to shipment of parts taking longer than expected...

RJ

Thanks for the reply! I'm worried about sensors, the electrical part of the swap. Do you have to alter anythng on the crown ecu? Please keep me/us all posted, i'd like to do this swap to a gs400/430.

Cabear,

Have a look at some other posts on this Forum.

The Crown ECU will run happily without the ECT or auto trans. It doesn't need any speed sensors to make it run.

Thanks, i've tried to search and research as much as possible, i guess the parts i'm not sure on are the actual swap into the same car (manual gs430 rather then manual 3uz into another chasis) and how to go about doing the swap. I've heard some people from other lexus boards claim its easier to swap in a GTE engine then get the v8 mated to a manual which is odd to say the least.

GTE swap is NOT easier. I have a friend with GTE Swap... AC not working, powersteering not working, instructments and many other accessories are not working... u tell me... unless those electronics are plug and play.. otherwise.. u will spend lots of time.. connecting them...... Not worth it..

Which is why i want to get as much info on the gs430 manual swap and do it right.

I have been told by experts in this wonderful forum saying that Crown ECU would work for manual tranny. I should consider looking into that....

The SC400 ECU should work with a manual tranny! Not sure about the GS or LS.
But you may still recieve some error codes which may relate to the speed sensors. Usually the manaul tranny has only one speed output for which you would put to your dash for a speedo. The ecu is used to seeing 2 speed signals and will put out an error code if it only sees one which comes to it via the dashboard.
For this reason I would recommend you cut the speed sensor signal coming for the dash to the ECU. Do this at the ECU end of the harness becuase this speed signal is used for cruise/abs/trip computer etc. Or you could send the speed signal to both speed inputs on the ECU. Note that I have not tried either of these methods but am guessing from experience. I would try the latter as it may be better for getting the cruise working. But I haven't checked the wiring diagrams to be sure.