sc400 into taco(hilux), need help with butchered exhaust

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

the toecutter

i picked up a 1994 toyota pickup with a '94 SC400 V8 under the hood for relatively cheap. not a great install, but not terrible either. except for the exhaust.

oem style cat has been replaced (aftermarket cat further downstream) with a half-assed downpipe that has a generic two-bolt flange kind-of, sort-of, almost bolted on to the stock manifold. basically some knucklehead had a box of whatever big-three style flanges and picked the one that fit best. needless to say, it leaks like a sieve. the oxy sensors have been mauled as well.

i figure i have three choices:
1. stick with what's there, and try to put a gasket of some sort in. which will likely fail before long.

2. chop it from the cat forward and replace with the original style cats and have the rest of the down pipe redone at the exhaust shop. which will be rather expensive, and a waste of two perfectly good catalytic converters.

3. take a pair of exhaust flanges from the manifold (like the ones available at this site's storefront), weld on a flexible joint, as part of the downpipe, and attach to the manifold with a steel or copper gasket in between. on the face of it, it seems like the least expensive and practical option.

any advice?