MSD ignition system for 1UZFE?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Pagong

This has been asked before and hasnt been answered from what I recall. But has anybody succesfully installed an aftermarket ignition upgrade for the 1UZFE?

The need is not required as much on modern cars, unless you run insane revs.
The stock ignition system is more than adequate.

That said, I have no idea is they can control dual coils, I would presume the later models can though.

i have heard you will need two MSD units. I was recommend two A6L (not exactly remember the model number, but the one with boost/timing retardation), but that is $350 per unit.. ouch....

Ultimat Ignition for 1UZ

I still dont know why you all havent sourced the XDI by Electromotive. The Kiwis are using it successfully. When Gomac and myself setup his Lexus for drag racing we used the older Electromotive system and it worked perfectly, that car ran a 7.9@160 odd miles, so does it work, i think so. Oh the 60 foot times were 1.1 sec launching at idle. Thats a killer car. TF dragsters run 0.9 sec on average

Papong,

Sorry to tell you the MSD DIS-4 did not work. The performance mechanic said the DIS -4 fire at 180 and 360 degrees. Our engine fire at 90 degrees. I would need two units of MSD 6AL. Its in order and will be install by next week Monday.

The DIS4 fires whenever it gets a trigger signal from the ignitor. Just like the 6AL. The DIS4 is almost like having 4 6AL's in one box. It has 4 trigger inputs and 4 outputs. You can use 1,2,3,4 of the channels.
With the non-vvti 1uz you would connect the 1 of the (there are 2) brown/orange wires to the pos side of each coil and brown/white to the right coil neg and brown/green to the left coil neg.
Now you need to trigger the DIS4 and you would connect the original right side coil negative wire to the white trigger wire and the original left side coil negative wire to the green trigger wire.
Connect the original positive coil wires to each of the thin red wires on the DIS4 harness.
You also have to ground the unused trigger inputs. (yellow and violet)
The reason for using only 2 channels of the DIS4 or (2 6AL's in Davids case) is because the early uz's have only 2 coils and it uses the distributor to distrubute the spark to the correct cylinders.
The vvti uz's have 8 coils and probably two 4 channel ignitors firing direct spark or one 4 channel ignitor firing waste spark.
You can use one MSD DIS4 for waste spark, 2 DIS4's for direct spark, one 8 channel AEM C2DI for direct or two 4 channel C2DI for waste. You can run 4 or 8 6AL's or any other single channel ignition amp. Or if you are a big spender you can get either the Motec CDI or the Autronic CDI.

Max
93 Supra turbo

A quick breakdown in pricing($USD):
MSD DIS4 =329
MSD 6A = 149
AEM C2DI 4 channel = 296
AEM C2DI 8 channel = 448
MOTEC CDI8 = 2300
AUTRONIC 500R CDI = 899

PS: The non vvti engines with stock ignitions might benefit from upgrading their coils to something like the MSD Blaster SS or CraneCams PS91/92

ummm is it just me or are those aussie parts a little on the expensive side, hehehe...

you get what you pay for... seems like us aussies are only good at making aem's and retrofitting old cars, hehe....

Red Supra said:
The vvti uz's have 8 coils and probably two 4 channel ignitors firing direct spark or one 4 channel ignitor firing waste spark.
VVTi versions have ignitors on every coil,it's part of each coil pack.

Thanx for verifying that info for me. Besides finding a more powerfull coil that drops in place of the stock one, boosting the voltage going to the coil and increasing dwell time is the only easy way to pump it up on vvi motors. Switching to aftermarket coils and ignition box is another way.