Project Thread LS 400 Single Turbo

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
...some progress on the new manifold:

Very nice manifold, FastEddie. The welds are gorgeous. I am looking forward to seeing your results from this change.

Looking good mate...that's what i wanted to refine my prototype into, nice :)

So, Justen, then the lower intake manifold seems to have that much of an effect on the power curve then? Interesting.

...we make more then 600ft/lbs at 4500rpm, and at 5000rpm it is still very high...
The transmission is a Boostlogic built automatic with 3800rpm stall converter...which now stalls at 5000rpm...hmmmm.....

Did you change your stall from 3800 to 5000 rpm? If not, how could that change, unless the TQ converter is not handling the power?

Looks great mate, nice work.

That should 'straighten' up the power curve and improve your top end out of sight :)

I am very interested to see the results of this. Not intending to hijack this thread, but I wonder what effects porting, scuffing and opening up the lower Intake would have?

...more progress, lets hope we get this 1UZ to perform :D....fingers crossed.....

Love the center TB. Let's see the numbers....:D

Ryan

I looked at extrude honing (power port) the lower intake Ryan but for the dollars i could just fab up my own short runner version...so i did :)

I like the idea of a power ported version to keep it all looking stock. I reckon i could have a seeming stock engine produce around 450rwkw, which would have people scratching their heads ;)

Ryan,

this is what Zohair from BL said:

"More torque will certainly stall a converter higher. Stall speeds are weird numbers… they don’t necessarily mean what they are. I think a 3200 stall would work well for an engine with as much torque as you are running."

...so we will have to find out once we have new numbers with this manifold...maybe change from 3800 to 3200 stall, i dont know....

We should dyno this week....;)

I looked at extrude honing (power port) the lower intake Ryan but for the dollars i could just fab up my own short runner version...so i did :)

I like the idea of a power ported version to keep it all looking stock. I reckon i could have a seeming stock engine produce around 450rwkw, which would have people scratching their heads ;)

Yes, I do understand. I looked into Extrude honing as well, and found the costs a bit high also. I opted to have my machine shop open them up instead. After they had ported and scuffed the lower intake, it looked as if it had been extrude honed. Beautiful job. We will see what it does to improve power, if any. BTW, I have sorted out the Innovate issues, and it is recording AFR's perfectly, so it looks like another tuning session this Friday.

Ryan,

this is what Zohair from BL said:

"More torque will certainly stall a converter higher. Stall speeds are weird numbers… they don’t necessarily mean what they are. I think a 3200 stall would work well for an engine with as much torque as you are running."

...so we will have to find out once we have new numbers with this manifold...maybe change from 3800 to 3200 stall, i dont know....

We should dyno this week....;)

I am looking forward to seeing your results. Since I have the same transmission, but I chose a 2800 stall, we will see the difference in the curves between yours and mine.

Ryan

..I am looking forward to seeing your results. Since I have the same transmission, but I chose a 2800 stall, we will see the difference in the curves between yours and mine.

Ryan
For a street car, I'd prefer 2800 stall. A hi-performance built tranny with shift kit can break your back if you go extreme on the stall speed. :D

...we dynoed the LS yesterday, the car was 12 (!!!!) hours on the dyno and performed perfect...not even a drop of oil !

We managed to get 535rwhp & 760Nm at 1,5bar...but we got 470rwhp at only 1,0 bar (14psi)...so something is preventing us to get 600rwhp at 1,5 bar or so. It could be backpressure or maybe the cams. Peak power has shifted from 4500rpm to 5500rpm with max rpm 7500rpm, so the manifold defintily did the job. Havent driving the car on the road yet, might be a completely different car.

For now we will leave it like this and get this car done. Changing to 265+ duration cams with more lift might be something for next year.
Our goal was a daily driver with 500+ rwhp and we achieved that. The built 1UZ is capable of much more power, but we will leave it at a reliable 500+rwp, afterall it might a 650hp in the engine with our automatic.

Nice work...manifold is basically free hp :) You're right, the auto will suck a bit of power so results would be even more impressive with a manual.

You're beyond what i ever got so could well be into the zone where the cams start being a restriction?

Hey Patrick,

yes, really nice work! The manifold looks very good. I'm very interested in your dyno sheets too. And please let us know which dyno you have used. MAHA, DynoJet or something else. Which fuel did you use? Maybe you share your actual map?
Questions, questions, questions…:rolleyes:

12 hours on the dyno is a lot of stress for the engine and I'm happy to hear that your engine is unimpressed. ;)

Keep in touch my friend!

Greetings from germany…
Alex

Guys,

this was on a dynapack dyno, Shell 95 fuel...so no high octane, not even 98 octane. Torque is 760nm, with peak at 5500 rpm instead of the 4500 with the stock manifold.
I think the dyno graph showed that we have min. 400rwhp from 4500 to 7500 rpm.
Valve springs are from a 3SGTE, shim under bucket, 3UZ buckets.

@Speeedy, sure man...once this car is done we will meet !

Not sure on the cams.

Would love to see a naturally aspirated dyno comparison with your intake vs. the available stock configurations.

Nice work. Nice power.