Which stock manifolds are being used to do a big single turbo? sc400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

xspsi6

I am seriously pondering fabbing up a turbo kit for my 97 sc400 and I see people are flipping the exhaust manifolds around but are these stock sc400 or crown manifolds?

I am pondering 5-7 psi on a single holset hx52 turbo and of course stock everything for the time being but I will add a rr afpr and already have a gss342 walbro installed so this should support 5-7 psi I would assume?

At the same time I would build the trans to take the added power along with a stall converter however I have questions as to what everyone is doing for oil feed and drain locations?

Oil feed is easy .. Just a T off the oil pressure sender...
I've used the oil level switch.. Removing from sump..Drilling it out and welding a 16mm alloy pipe for oil return...
OK the low level unit is inoperative.. But you'd check or change the oil quite often anyway...
1UZ014.jpg

Last edited:
5-7 psi on a holset hx52 will have it massively outside of its efficiency range, you would be better off with an hx35 if all your going for is 5-7 psi.
as for the manifolds flipping the standard manifolds needs quite a bit of cutting to get them to clear everything, tbh for the work involved you would be aswell fabbing up complete new manifolds and making them block huggers.

Well 5-7 psi is just to get the ball rolling then after a built motor and sems I would crank the wick to 30 or so psi but on stock everything boost would have to be low.

I was thinking of a divided t-4 twinscroll set up for faster spool.

Oil feed is easy .. Just a T off the oil pressure sender...
I've used the oil level switch.. Removing from sump..Drilling it out and welding a 16mm alloy pipe for oil return...
OK the low level unit is inoperative.. But you'd check or change the oil quite often anyway...
1UZ014.jpg

I was thinking of something along those lines now I am glad to see others have done it this way in the past.

Even a well designed log type exhaust manifold does the job..
Just try and avoid 90* bends..
I doesn't need a lot of design at low power levels to make decent power..
It's when 300 h.p per litre when design etc come into play...
The std flanges can be used..

Would I be better off starting off with the crown log type manifolds?
Honestly I am only looking for 400whp so nothing crazy right now and the cost of fabbing up 2 custom manifolds will be costly just in stainless flanges and tubing as well as merge collectors and slip joints then add v-bands to the equation and I am at the cost of a 2jz swap so my idea is to do this on a budget.

Are there any pics of how people configure their manifolds for turbos on this forum? Also keeping ps and ac is a must,