Intro: New to Lextreme

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

TKing

Hey guys and gals. Just wanted to introduce myself to the site. I'm new here and look forward to discussing Lexus related issues. I've got a 1995 SC400 and I'm looking to do some engine mods in the future...

Well, that's it for now.

Thanks and have a great day...

Todd

Hey Jibby!!

Thanks for the welcome...truly appreciated. Had a chance to review your post of your mods to your SC. Very nice work and very informative.

I'm trying to determine what is the best route of increasing HP without having to radically alter the car...Not sure what is the better option; Turbo Charging, Super Charging or taking the route that you took.

However, I'm sure that at some point it will all be clear to me...

Thanks again for the welcome...

Todd :happysad:

No problem.... As far as beefing up the ole SC400 goes, when you refer to "not wanting to radically alter the car" ...I would say to you that the mod's that really change the cars sound are typically any exhaust mod's that you do, and also maybe suspension and tires may alter the feel of things abit...

Turbo charging, supercharging and Nitrous will all get the car moving and not alter it too much... These are the things you'll need to consider about the three.

Single Turbo charging - Is probably your best bet, but you will have to do it yourself...Fairly cheap too, maybe $2000 or less if you shop for the parts, maybe get the turbo on Ebay or something...Not an easy task for most that don't know much about turbo charging in general. There are no ready made complete turbo kits for sale for our SC400's unfortunately.. So you'll need to read all the turbo threads and learn, PM forum guru's for info, and get your hands a little greasy....It could be fun, it could be a challenge, and it also might become a nightmare for some...However, when the turbo is in and working it should all be worth it... That's my take on it..

SuperCharging - "Bank" is the word that comes to mind, $5000 USD and you will need to purchase the Eaton charger kit from Aussie land... Shipping and installation could get ugly and even more expensive... On a 95 SC400 you've got to ask yourself is it really worth the $5000-$6000 for approxiametly what will be a 100HP? You'll also need to know that the Super Charger kits have really unimpressive power output limits since only small Chargers can be made to fit under the hoods of the SC's...

Nos - Cheap and effective comes to mind and not practical.... For $1000 or less you can get 150hp, however after a few years of continued use things have a tendancy to wear out, like the motor... Nitrous is a bit rude and may break a few other things on the car too, like driveshafts, and transmission.....Nitrous also isn't always on demand when needed which is a bit aggrevating... I did the nos deal at first because I also wanted to keep the car in exact stock form then just be able to hit a button and booom gone. Sounded good to me... but like most I got the mod bug and did all the other mod crap just for kicks right after....It's been entertaining and fun..

All the basic mod's like Exhaust (headers, cats, mufflers and mandrell 2.25 piping), BFI intake, Torque converter, ECU piggy back will get the SC moving a bit, but it will only tease you....

Good luck with which ever dirction you deside to go, power is fun... It's a nice feeling when you hit the gas pedal from a dead stop and something actually happens...Unlike the SC400 in only stock form...:684: Wow, this post got long...

Hey Jibby!

Not long at all...I really appreciate the feedback.

I'm currenlty satisfied with the car from an asthetics standpoint. I've got the look I want. I've had it lowered via Megan Racing adjustable coil-overs. I've got the sound I want nothing to loud but nice and mellow tone...I also drive a Porsche 930 Turbo and when I get out of it and into my Lex, well let's just say I'm a little disappointed in the power that the car puts out...

I've been working on and around cars since I was 12, so getting my hands greasy is nothing new to me...however, doing any high performance mods on a foreign car is relatively new to me. I've done some mild builds on domestic cars...so I'm sure I can get the job done...

Well, thanks again and hope to talk to you later...

Todd :happysad:

Todd welcome to the forum, but don't discount supercharging as a solution; people such as Neil Griffiths and others in Oz have been installing them in their Soarers for years and getting the hoods to close just fine: http://planetsoarer.com/superchargeJmRoal/JimRoal.htm

Yes, the M90's are a low boost solution, but Neil (and others) are now developing screw applications which will make serious boost.

Which is an easier/cheaper installation? Fitting a turbocharger which requires a completely new, custom exhaust system, along with wastegate and BOV plumbing, plus an intercooler and all its attendant piping, plus a new intake.

Or fitting a supercharger, where you only have to modify the intake side of the motor and leave the existing exhaust system alone. You pull off the intake manifold & replace it with a new manifold plus supercharger, and fit a new intake to it, and adapt your existing pulley drive system to it (for low boost).

Maybe you'll save some money on the initial purchase price of a turbo system over an integrated supercharger/manifold "kit", but unless you do your own welding, I believe that savings will disappear quickly when you start plumbing it in.

Another plus for the low boost SC installation - these UZ motors are already high compression, so realistically, how much boost can you run on the street with normal pump gas without destroying the motor? Too, the SC introduces no exhaust backpressure, so the motor will be as free flowing as it was before, whereas the introduction of a turbocharger brings a significant restriction to the exhaust of the motor, and this will encourage overheating and possible detonation. Ever driven a car with a partially plugged catalytic converter? Overheats and pings like crazy, right?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing turbochargers (I own two turbocharged Supras), I'm just trying to balance the previous argument.

Hey Todd get ready for too much information here! But it's all very worthy info from many peoples experience. I have been learning from these builders for quite some time and I try and add a little myself. Yes the great debate will rage for decades more... Turbo or SC!! I'm contemplating them both. I have a good amount of experience with turbos but there are some VERY impressive SC applications out there that have me very, very interested.

Smooth looking SC you have there.

Todd welcome to the forum, but don't discount supercharging as a solution; people such as Neil Griffiths and others in Oz have been installing them in their Soarers for years and getting the hoods to close just fine: http://planetsoarer.com/superchargeJmRoal/JimRoal.htm

Yes, the M90's are a low boost solution, but Neil (and others) are now developing screw applications which will make serious boost.

Which is an easier/cheaper installation? Fitting a turbocharger which requires a completely new, custom exhaust system, along with wastegate and BOV plumbing, plus an intercooler and all its attendant piping, plus a new intake.

Or fitting a supercharger, where you only have to modify the intake side of the motor and leave the existing exhaust system alone. You pull off the intake manifold & replace it with a new manifold plus supercharger, and fit a new intake to it, and adapt your existing pulley drive system to it (for low boost).

Maybe you'll save some money on the initial purchase price of a turbo system over an integrated supercharger/manifold "kit", but unless you do your own welding, I believe that savings will disappear quickly when you start plumbing it in.

Another plus for the low boost SC installation - these UZ motors are already high compression, so realistically, how much boost can you run on the street with normal pump gas without destroying the motor? Too, the SC introduces no exhaust backpressure, so the motor will be as free flowing as it was before, whereas the introduction of a turbocharger brings a significant restriction to the exhaust of the motor, and this will encourage overheating and possible detonation. Ever driven a car with a partially plugged catalytic converter? Overheats and pings like crazy, right?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing turbochargers (I own two turbocharged Supras), I'm just trying to balance the previous argument.

Hey Cribbj!

Thanks for the info. I appreciate all of the feedback. It will allow me to make an informed decision when the time comes to pick which route I will take. Actually, I recently met a gentleman who is in my Porsche club that has a friend who actually manufactures SC's for the SC400. I haven't really had the opportunity to discuss in detail; however, we're meeting this weekend to do a coastal run and I plan on getting more info then...

Again, thanks for the welcome and the information. They are both truly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Todd

Hey Todd get ready for too much information here! But it's all very worthy info from many peoples experience. I have been learning from these builders for quite some time and I try and add a little myself. Yes the great debate will rage for decades more... Turbo or SC!! I'm contemplating them both. I have a good amount of experience with turbos but there are some VERY impressive SC applications out there that have me very, very interested.

Smooth looking SC you have there.

Hey Smitherz!

Thanks for the complement :happysad: I welcome all of the information. That's one of the reasons I considered joining the forum. I realize that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience out there and I figured this would be the best way to capitalize from it...

I look forward to these discussions.

Cribbj's information has definately got me interested in taking a serious look at the Super Charger. It appears to be a less invasive process over the Turbo. Less fabrication to the exhaust system as well as other areas of concern i.e., fan replacement, etc.

Well, thanks again and have a great weekend.

Todd

In contrary to all the perks of Supercharging as said in the above posts in the end it will still cost you almost as much as the car itself...I love the superchargers over the turbo's too if it could produce 200hp or so and stay under $3000USD... "WHEN" the twin screw Chargers are infact developed and being distributed for our SC's it may be the most logical option for ease of fitment, installation and simplicity.... Still it's gonna run you $5000 or more when it's all done...That's the killer for me...

Too buy a Super charger sytem and have all the parts to go with it, bolt it all on and then tune it and be off and running is very convenient though...Also there is no lag either with the root chargers as they are driven directly off the crank, the engine turns and the charger turns...Nice, unlike the turbo's that need spool time....

Still it is proven and tough to beat let's say a Garret GT34 single turbo setup that could potentially run you around $2000 if you have the smarts, that will boost you right up to the SC400's stock limitations of around 400whp...

Either way, it's all good...

In contrary to all the perks of Supercharging as said in the above posts in the end it will still cost you almost as much as the car itself...I love the superchargers over the turbo's too if it could produce 200hp or so and stay under $3000USD... "WHEN" the twin screw Chargers are infact developed and being distributed for our SC's it may be the most logical option for ease of fitment, installation and simplicity.... Still it's gonna run you $5000 or more when it's all done...That's the killer for me...

Too buy a Super charger sytem and have all the parts to go with it, bolt it all on and then tune it and be off and running is very convenient though...Also there is no lag either with the root chargers as they are driven directly off the crank, the engine turns and the charger turns...Nice, unlike the turbo's that need spool time....

Still it is proven and tough to beat let's say a Garret GT34 single turbo setup that could potentially run you around $2000 if you have the smarts, that will boost you right up to the SC400's stock limitations of around 400whp...

Either way, it's all good...

I definately understand in relations to cost that the Turbo is a better alternative. However, I have no intentions of selling my SC. I actually love the car. It took me awhile before I actually started to enjoy the car. And that only happened after I started doing the upgrades, i.e., wheels, paint, sound system, coil-overs, etc. So in reference to the ROI, I don't have a problem with the financial impact relating to the Super Charger as an alternative. I own several cars that I have more money dumped into them than I could ever possible get back if I tried to sell them. But that's because I love cars and sometimes I don't consider the resale value. I only look at the enjoment that I get from the experiene.

In all honesty, I don't like Stock SC's. They do absolutely nothing for me...Ah, hah. But once I saw them fixed up, then I was hooked.

I like how they handle and I can actually live with the stock powerplant if need be...but that would be no fun...

Well, anywho...

You have a great weekend and by the way, are you aware of any local social events in the area? Let me know.

Thanks,

Jitters

Todd,

It's good to hear you're joining this forum. Some of us are in Southern Ca and we have a meet once in awhile. Mr. Lextreme is also in So. Ca. So if you want to meet, then perhaps we can meet sometimes.

One thing that's about the SC400/LS400 is they really love boost. :bigeyes2: You already got your suspension ready so why not boost it. Without boost, it's even slower than a new Civic. It's a pride for everything of the car but a shame for the V8 horsepower nowadays. There're currently several (countless number) finished projects of turbocharging, supercharging, and Nos on this SC/LS or other car bodies with this V8 engine. My SC is also under a turbo project and it'll be done anytime. I only work on it several hours a week...LOL.

If you're a mechanical guru and don't have much time, then a M90 supercharger kit is the best so far. Put on a custom manifold, a little custom work for the vacuum sources, position the M90, reroute the belt, machine the pulley or you can get a size that fits, customize the throttle body, use longer throttle body cable and you're almost done. The rest is the fuel/timing setup just as similar as any other forced induction systems.

This might sound strange but thats the first SC I have seen in red (I guess they are quite rare in the UK) and it looks good! Welcome!

Attachments

• New strut 1.jpg
    New strut 1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 22
Well thanks LondonBenji...

It's not really a common color here in the states either; however, red is my favorite color...

The car was originally red from the factory, then my cousin painted it blue :no: . When I bought the car from him I really didn't like the blue so I had it repainted in whats called a performance red color. It's a little different. Kind of scared me at first but after my eyes adjusted :Eyecrazy: , I fell in love with the color...:happysad:

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Best Regards,

Todd