Intro and proposal

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

PR_SC400

Hey fellas I'm Eddy and I've been trolling this from for months now trying to figure out how to mod my SC. I am a landscaper and part time barber but my passions are cars, rifles and racing.

Other then that I've followed from David's 470tt build to stevechumo's single turbo build threads, practically have them almost memorized by now. But that's beyond the point.

I wanted to know if I could get this forums help on developing a cost effiecent rear mount turbo kit for the sc400 by using my sc as the test subject/ginnepig.

Some problems I've thought of with such an idea would be the oil supply for the turbo, location, turbo/piping size.

Initially the power goal for this setup would be 300rwhp with room to make it upto 400rwhp.

So what do you guys say?

And here's a photo of my pride and joy. The pic kinda sucks I took it from my phone then had to downsize it with ms paint. :D

Attachments

• sc.jpg
    sc.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 8
MOST I have seen have oil from engine feeding turbo and trans cooler type electric oil pump to return oil back to engine.. This way the sump doesn't require any mods as oil return can go back through rocker covers..
A ball bearing turbo seems to work better...

True but the problem I would be concerned about with that would be the delay of the oil actually reaching the pump, so a can would be require for that small delay until it builds up pressure.

I had something like a t25 or t28 from a salvage yard for the turbo, maybe twins.

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but I don't think there are many people here who are interested in rear mounted turbos, nor would they be interested in funding an installation on someone else's car.

Try selling raffle tickets for it :)

Wow ok? Never did I state that anyone else would fund it. What I ment was that if the forum would interested on providing information, advice/recommendations for the developement of a simple turbo setup that anyone could build with ease that's all. All the funds would be out of my own pocket.

I guess I was misunderstood.

I certainly misunderstood, and thought you were looking for financial assistance as well as technical.

But again, I don't know that we have many people who are interested in rear mount turbos for their car projects. Pickups, maybe. Then again, I could be wrong about this as well!

You have a point there isn't really much room under these cars anyway, unless you cut into the slot for the spare tire. I'm just looking at the possibilities to get a decent amount of power out of the car while still retaining my a/c and p/s along with the fact that it would make a very cool sleeper.

I saw one rear mounted turbo setup for the SC4 on Club Lexus. You may want to check that. As far as the oil issue is resolved, another issue is you can't drive it the rain, unless your air filter goes all the way back to the front and into the engine bay. I saw a HKS rear twin turbo setup for the IS-F and honestly, it's not that really impressive for the price of $10K.

you could keep your ac and ps with a single turbo setup, a set of simple log manifolds could be made to clear them both and put the turbo where the battery is, alot less hassle and money

Steve yes I've read those threads a few times and am glad you brought that up. The way I thought of setting it up would be a blanket for the debris and routing the air filter into the trunk or fabricating some type of shroud to protect it.

Ruishy I was quoted 2k for a set of log manifolds from a local shop, hence why I'm looking into this route.

UZJ100 Landcruiser and Lexus LX470 have log type manifolds so unless you are trying to buy new ones from Toyota, hunt around the wrecking yards and exhaust shops for a set. Hell last set I had surplus to requirements went for a carton of Guiness, and the last set that I had to get for a conversion cost me a carton of Corona and only because they had to fish them out of the scrap metal bin

2k for log manifolds is rediculous, i could make them for less than 200
Very tempting! The manifold flange itself already costs $40/each totalling $80 for both flanges. Where I get the cheapest price (at almost wholesale cost) for the pipe and small flanges will cost an additional $100. That doesn't count the price of the pipes and small flanges that go right after the manifold to the turbo, and also doesn't count the tools/electric costs.

Would I be able to flip the headers or is that just the crown headers?

Also Steve I saw your sax header and wanted to ask if you would be willing to make another?

Very tempting! The manifold flange itself already costs $40/each totalling $80 for both flanges. Where I get the cheapest price (at almost wholesale cost) for the pipe and small flanges will cost an additional $100. That doesn't count the price of the pipes and small flanges that go right after the manifold to the turbo, and also doesn't count the tools/electric costs.
do them in mild steel, use the standard flange, length of mild steel pipe $50, v band flanges $60 the pair.

do them in mild steel, use the standard flange, length of mild steel pipe $50, v band flanges $60 the pair.
If you can build and sell at your price, then I'm sure you'll make a fortune. But I'd like to see your sketch of how you'll do that. :D

Even at my cost without any labor involved, I can't do at that price.