Intercooled M90 Eaton Supercharger

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone looked at the Ford Thunderbird/Mustang Eaton M90 supercharger?

This is interesting in that it is intercooled between the supercharger and the manifold.

The air is drawn in the rear, compressed and pumped out the top into piping that runs it through a normal intercooler then into the back of the manifold.

Essentially the supercharger is mounted upside down. Obviously it doesn't mind or Mr Ford would not do it.

This would allow you to run a little more boost than normal.

Have a look on ebay and you will eventually find someone selling the complete setup. As all supercharger manifolds are custom built it would be easy to have one made with the air entering the rear rather than the top. It may even be easier.

What do you all think?

I think there will be a hood clearance problem... I would look into the Cobra or the Lighting MP112 supercharger with intercooler. I think the M90 is too small for the 1uz...

Availability comes into the equation plus the need to retain the standard ECU for EPA reasons.

You cannot run aftermarket ECU's (legally) in our Country.

6lb will give a reasonable increase in HP. A smaller top pulley or larger crank pulley will give you a little more.

I know there is a (percieved) clearance problem with a larger crank pulley but I feel a custom fan pulley (I don't run a fan) will allow a bigger crank pulley.

A 112 would be great but are just too hard to find.

As my engine is in a Range Rover I have another 60mm (2.5") clearance above the stock plenum. Joel of Jordy's Ski Boat builds a fairly low level manifold which should solve the problem you have with clearence.

I believe I can put the whole supercharger deal together for under AUS$1,500.00 which you would never do with turbo's.

M90 will be great for less than 8 psi.. however, if you want to upgrade in the future.. the M90 would not work. MP112 is good for about 18 psi in a 4.6 Mustang Cobra. MP112 have room for upgrades.... 1uzfe have very small crank pulley... and u would need a larger supercharger to fun it. Having larger supercharger, we still can run low boost..

how do you blokes no if the m112 is a lot better than the m90 have you seen dyno results there are a few 1uzs getting around with the m90 and they make good power with little boost and i have not seen one with the m112 yet look on the eaton wed site to look at flows etc of course bigger is better but people cant have there cake and eat it zuffen if you get one of those m90s with intercooling hood clearnce wont be a problem until people try they just dont no even if you wanted to up grade to a m112 down the track you only have to put the manifold on the mill and machine of the top plate and weld a new plate on to suit the m112 that would be an ezy job to do

Quite a few of us Tundra guys are sporting the 9.5 crank pulley's and seeing a reliable 8-9psi with the M90. There is no room to go beyond that though as intercooling these is not an option. I did read somewhere that the 4.6 ford intercooled S/C mustang might be McGiverable to fit the Toyota 4.7 for a price. Can anyone corroberate this?

I finally got mine powered by Unichip and the difference is quite noticeable.I really should get a custom tune but will wait until I get the crank pulley and TT Supra fuel pump.The much larger fuel pump cures a fuel flow problem created by the larger crank pulley and the fuel pressure at higher boost. I know the guy with the modded Tundra and am basically passing along his rational and comments.
mike

Mike,

I think the M112 idea is a bit like eating oysters. You don't know if you like them until you try.

The M90 will struggle to give any more than 9lb boost.

I don't expect to run much more boost but I think it will be easier boost, I won't work so hard, and should give a cooler charge temp than the M90.

If worst comes to the worst I can sell the MP112 and buy an M90.

I guess it will be like the oysters. The proof will be in the eating.

I am not sure about the 2UZFE, but the 1UZFE dont have much room for larger crank pulley. I have measured and research few times about this issue. The maximum would be around 1/4" larger than stock. Other aceesories would be in the way if any larger. Best is to get a larger supercharger with smaller supercharger pulley. For stock application M90 would work fine, but not much room for upgrades. M112 however will give you lots of room for future upgrades.

Using this sort of setup, m90 etc, what sort of power gains would you be looking at (obviously very approximate)? If you ran a s/c, could this be done on the stock ecu, or would an aftermarket one be required?

S/c is one thing that is niggling in the back of my mind, and Zuffen, if you reckon you can do it for $1500 that is pretty sweet. Even $2500 would be good. Personally, I am not after huge hp numbers, but to be able to say my car is supercharged is pretty cool in itself :D.

From my personal experience. Less than 8 psi stock injectors, stock fuel pump and use FMU would solve almost all of your problems. FMU will save lots of headaches and perfect with low boost.

Are you refering to the A/F Ratio (in which case IMO that is kinda lean at WOT for a boosted engine)? I was refering to the Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator, ie. 1 more psi fuel pressure for each extra psi of boost pressure.

Yes, I am referring to the fuel pressure. Every psi of boost, the FMU should increase 1.3-1.4 time psi per psi or boost. That way you would run too lean. Lean is bad for FI system.

Yea, lean is definately bad for a FI system (actually, the reason for my Supras death).

Anyway, thanks for the info, I would have never suspected that you need so much more pressure. Im actually supprised that the stock fuel pump can keep up with that pressure increase.