Intercooled Choices

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I am trying to sort out which FI system can be easily intercooled. I just ordered some stroker pistons and rods for the VVTi (Yes, I got a 1UZFE VVTi). I would like to run 15-17 psi as a daily. I am really debating which FI system to go with. Since this is VVTi, manifolds for roots or twin screws are not currently available. However, they are being work on by Neil. Secondly, intercooling the Root will be little hard. I dont like the idea of chemical injection like water or meth.

That being said I only have two other choices. One will be the FISH. Centrifugal system can be intercooled easily and whole system is pretty easy too. However, as we all know centrifugal system is slight noisy. The last choice would be a single turbo like a GT40. Other than that I dont have much choice on intercooled FI system. Do you have any idea out of the box?

I was surprised with my P1, I actually thought it would be louder than it is. It's only really audible near idle from in the cab (was loud without a decent air intake/filter on it)

Could you fit some form of heat bag/wrap over the front of a centri blower to quieten it down?

Mine's rather loud, i wont lie... but i have nothing but a steel screen over inducer. I like the sounds... reminiscent of jet turbine... especially at low rpm (900-1500) it has a unique tone right there that i just love to cruise on. Another unique feature is how the unit's acoustics are polar opposites on rpm spectrum. I find mine the loudest at idle and very quiet under full boost. My old high flow intake + JIC 2.5'' canisters were MUCH louder than the P1. Aww come one Lex... your a gear head, how can one part with the gear whine???:approve:

David, since you have the straight in ports on that motor, a "flipped" charger & manifold arrangement might work out well for you. Here are some pics of the W2A intercooled manifold setup that TTE (like TRD but in Europe) did for Toyota a couple of years ago. Something like this would probably help the air distribution as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is it feasible to fabricate an air-water setup in the area of the lower plenum?

Lex

Procharge and run wastegate as bypass in conjunction with a 20psi pulley. Scale back the ceiling to 14psi and hit boost down low... you'll be the first to finally use it. Nem tried it and said it kicked it much sooner. As for cooling run massive FMIC with internal Co2 head sink... it's new tech, been thinking of upgrading mine. It's std IC with bosses welded on each side (hot/cold) and runs Co2 through lines inside the IC... would definently cool a system that doesn't produce very much to begin with... should produce an interesting torque curve.

Centrifugal is definately the easiest setup. Tell me if I am wrong Mr. Nemesis. Perhaps there might be quiter system.

How quite are the 'Quite' Vortechs?

I'd imagine it's hard to run that much boost and not hear what's creating it no matter what you use.

If a reasonably sized blower is used there's far less heat on intake temps..
Another option is to tune system with E85 as it cools intake charge etc..
I see too much theory on this and not much action to a point..
The only time heat can build up in f/i engine is when cruising at low speeds. But a short run over 50 mph with a2a soon brings temps down ..
It mainly becomes an issue when ECU doesn't read intake temps OR cannot compensate for them...
My 07 WRx intercooler in std position becomes an interheater at low speeds stop start traffic, but as said short run and it soon comes good..
A Lot of these issues engine safety wise can be engine safe with GOOD ECU and tune...
The VQ's are quiet with good air filter and box similar to std design..
They whine mainly at idle or low rpm.. Our ears can't hear the higher pitch too much above idle..

I'd say turbo to go. A simple log manifold from the driver side merging into the passenger side is good enough. But for passing 500 bhp easily, both driver & passenger manifolds should be custom made.

SPF,

Any W2A intercooler in the valley would need the starter moved.

I had a Ford Lightning intercooler in my valley with the starter under the motor.

Never ran it as I swapped to a twin screw and sold the manifold off.