Hi guys

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

samsdad

Well time to introduce myself

I'm a mechanic from NZ who now resides in Perth WA.

I own a 1990 Hilux Surf that Now has the heart of Lexus. From an SC400 half cut of all things. all that my wife wanted to know when I returned home with said half cut is "Wheres the rest of it?". Well now I have one very evil machine.

Hardest part of the whole swap?

Well that's trying to work out where to hide the ECU

That is until the "handbrake" will let me have a Link V5. Thought was given to extending the loom and hiding it under the passengers seat, but at present I'm enjoying driving it too much, that and giving those in SS Comodores and GT-P Falcons a good fright.. Recently I got told on another forum that I must be the only one in Aussie keeping a 1UZ cool with a standard Surf radiator. Well my Surf looks absolutely standard, no body lift or scoops, only hint is the 3500CFM fan that runs when the fuel pump is running and the ever so subtle noise when the loud pedal gets stood on.. Well that and the Surf vanishing rapidly into the distance ahead sorta gives it away..

To do it it all again? That would be a '95 SSR-G auto with 3UZ

That was me that said that, I still reckon it's true hehe

What fan pulls a genuine 3500cfm? I know my Falcon twins would but the job to get them in there.....

That was me that said that, I still reckon it's true hehe

What fan pulls a genuine 3500cfm? I know my Falcon twins would but the job to get them in there.....

Local Hotrod shop took a bit of an interest in the swap and were able to supply a nice 16 inch thermo rated at 3500cfm which gave enough clearance between the front of the engine and fan motor. And for the price of it if it didn't work it would've been inserted in a place where the sun don't shine. So far in the last week or so temps in the area where we live have been over 40 deg C, checking it with a calibrated master gauge she sits on 84 degrees C coolant temp and is a daily driver. Yet not much fun as I still have to make the A/C hoses. Perth is closed at this time of year..

There is the odd intermitant annoying noise that pops up from time to time from the left side of the vehicle..... "It's too fast..It's too fast"...

Haven't taken many pics of it, should really take some more

Well done then. It's still surprising though. On my first conversion I had the 4Runner radiator with a 2800cfm 16" thermo on the back, plus two 10" thermo's on the front pushing as a last resort, and still couldn't keep it cool let alone at mid 80's.

My Surf was originally a 2.4 Turbo diesel which as a JDM model runs a 4 row radiator (same core as a HZJ75 'cruiser but with different tank "flanges" hence slight difference in overall size) V6 and NA diesel models only have the 3 row core. We used to fit the TD radiators to V6 Surfs and 4runners in an effort to stop them overheating with good results and they were a common fit for the 1UZ swaps in NZ as they "Fall straight in the hole".

As my Surf when purchased with a dead engine had a brand new radiator in it the decision was made to try it and see what happened.Which fits in with trying to keep everything a straight "Bolt on" so if replacement parts are needed they can be gotten anywhere.. Oh hang on I'm in WA... There goes that idea

Hey mate, sounds like a bit of a weapon you have there, when I brought the 3UZ home all my girl could say was, "where are you meant to sit?"

A 3UZ has some qualities but the early 1UZ is stronger and LOVES boost.

Anyway as mentioned I have the 3UZ and am rapidly considering the move to a 1UZ, just for convenience. Kelfords dont have a 3UZ cam, and the pistons all have to be custom.
Intake manifolds dont fit, valves are different diameter and the 30degrees of VVTi mean a very tricky ECU setup (and expensive if you have a MoTeC)

I dont think im complaining, but ive had my fair share of head scratching so far...

Hey mate, sounds like a bit of a weapon you have there, when I brought the 3UZ home all my girl could say was, "where are you meant to sit?"

Anyway as mentioned I have the 3UZ and am rapidly considering the move to a 1UZ, just for convenience. Kelfords dont have a 3UZ cam, and the pistons all have to be custom.
Intake manifolds dont fit, valves are different diameter and the 30degrees of VVTi mean a very tricky ECU setup (and expensive if you have a MoTeC)

I dont think im complaining, but ive had my fair share of head scratching so far...

I'm certainly very happy with my "beast" so far. Despite starting on this sort of thing prior to doing mine there was and still is a fair bit of head scratching going on, but more so in thinking about trying to make it look factory fitted and have something that aside from routine maintenance that I don't have to work on.

I've always found Kelfords to be excellent. If they don't have it by about the third phone call (and the how much question) they soon have it on your doorstep and for engine management talk to Link, APS are also worth a try for their piggy back systems. Yet for convenience as you say 1UZ is the way to go. I have larger than standard injectors, bigger fuel pump and a good exhaust system. Otherwise standard yet at the mo the air intake is a bit "Dodgy". No dyno time yet so it will be interesting to see what is actually present at the rear wheels when there is some time and coin to spend on that.. "Handbrake permitting" of course

Alright! 1 more call to Kelfords and ill be sitting pretty.
Yeah im really cut between the SM4 and the G4 Xtreme right now, in fact even the Haltech isnt THAT bad an option.

But I prefer the first two, anyway my tuner suggested Link aswell, but I know Ray Hall and in a silly way trust the Autronic, after saying that tuner then said whatever I pick he can tune for me.

So square 1 as they say, still cant pick them from each other really. Just wondering if the Autronic is a little more refined? Id have to buy it from a dealer though, because otherwise I wont get support apparently.
And theres one in the FS section, for the same money as a G4Xtreme!

I know Lex had a similar post in the ECU section, but what would you run?

In Sydney EMS 8860... I have Haltech E11v2 in my car and 8860 in my son's car.. Both turbo..
Ray Hall does Link now...But use the lattest Link..

Well time to introduce myself

I'm a mechanic from NZ who now resides in Perth WA.

I own a 1990 Hilux Surf that Now has the heart of Lexus. From an SC400 half cut of all things. all that my wife wanted to know when I returned home with said half cut is "Wheres the rest of it?". Well now I have one very evil machine.

Hardest part of the whole swap?

Well that's trying to work out where to hide the ECU

Hey mate nice work on the converion, i got it done to my extra cab hilux 4x4 and goes a treat. In reply to your statment i got my ECU screwed up under the passenger side of the dash, it does get seen by the passenger but doesnt look that bad. Its screwed to a metal strap with one screw holding it. The other side is held with zip ties to support the weight which cant be seen as they go up in the dash behind the glove box. i can send you a pic how i done it if your interested in doing it that way.

Hey mate nice work on the converion, i got it done to my extra cab hilux 4x4 and goes a treat. In reply to your statment i got my ECU screwed up under the passenger side of the dash, it does get seen by the passenger but doesnt look that bad. Its screwed to a metal strap with one screw holding it. The other side is held with zip ties to support the weight which cant be seen as they go up in the dash behind the glove box. i can send you a pic how i done it if your interested in doing it that way.

That'd be great? But that's on the back burner now, just shat the so called HD clutch. I hear a warranty claim comming

Its P***sing rain here at the moment so ill organise some pics tomorrow and send them. Might need an email cause im hopeless at posting them on forums.