Hi from NZ / Yet another 1U ID plz

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

coupekiwi

Hi guys

I'v got an option of two engines sitting in Japan. Both the same price an both about 100kms. Both are missing the ECU and have cut looms. I will want to find an ECU here in NZ and re wire it. Does it matter which pin type I get?

I'm hoping with these pictures (Below) someone may be able to tell me which one to get and why, or a link to info for me to figure it out. I told him to put my name on the one at the end, half off the piece of wood (on the fact that one of the front pulleys is the same as a 40,40,40 pin motor I looked at).

Does it even matter if the ECU pinout is different if the loom is going to be rewired? I know certain plugs are easier to find in other Toyota ECU's.

Thanks heaps

-Simon

img0250uu.jpg

img0249me.jpg

img0248xt.jpg

img0247jk.jpg

img0246tu.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Kiwi, howzit ! (You have heard the expression before..?)
Welcome to the most boring forum in the world. Nice project car there, never seen one like that before though. Looks like our South African Nissan Skyline ..
Are both engines sans oil caps ? And standing outside in the weather ?
Keep us updated and dont lose hope like I have here..Perhaps we can get some life going here..Cheers.

BigKriss,

If you'd bothered to have a good look at the photos you would have noticed both engines have their oil caps. One even has it correctly mounted on top of the cam cover. The other it's sitting in ftont of the plenum so you can see into the cam cover.

We may be (in your opinion) "boring" but we certainly are one of the best informed Forums around and certainly way ahead of any other 1UZ Forum.

Thanks for your replies.

Yeah, I can see there is a lot of knowledge stored here.
So much of it that it's hard to find what I want haha.

So after reading the variant section on the motors I think the motor I want is the one at the back without the bolts for the viscous fan on the idler above the crank?

My best guess is from a UZS-141 or SC400.

My main problem is no ECU. Can I just get either the 40 40 40 pin ECU or 34 22 16 28 and rewire them accordingly? I don't know which ECU this motor would have had.

Cheers

i think yr mad buying any of them
how cheap are u getting them
there are enough people on here from nz that have done conversions so there must be a way to buy complete setups

looking at the pics one harness is cut right at tip of engine where there is a big join
so imagine trying to solder 60 to 80 wires right in that tight spot
another thing is i see the ingnitor and air flow meter wiring might be cut in one pic

end of the day ill give u some advice
it will take u a full day atleast to wire up the rest of the enigne harness
then u need to buy air flow mter and ignitors if u dont have them
and also the missing ecu
air flow meters are very hard to find these days
ignitors are piss easy but if u do a search u need to find correct ones for matching ecu
so if u need all those bits there is around 500 bucks worth of parts if u buy them from an importer

ive said it a million times on here and il say it again
spend abit mroe and buy a complete set as it is much easier in the end
u might know how to repair the wiring harness trust me its a prik of a job
and u might take yr time and do this job over a year or 2 but if any of those solder joins
stuff up then u will spend months trying to find the problem

for 2000 u can pick up a complete 1uz set
so i dont understand y some people are so tight and try to get the cheapest motor
in the worst condition

I fully appreciate your points.

Trust me if I had the cash I would buy one that comes complete with everything.

The extra parts are not too difficult to find in NZ and I'm definitely not soldering it all.

There are often cars come up that get parted out with blown up motors. I will look for a complete engine harness, ECU, igniters and AFM all from the same vehicle. If I do it right it should pretty much plug in. But if not I'm not scared of big wiring diagrams and hours worth of tracing. I would rather just keep it tidy.

I have access to both the universitys electronics labs and my fathers (auto electrical) business so all the electronic stuff is not a problem.

It's just getting the right parts to make it all work.

The motor is costing $480 NZD plus about $300 for shipping.

So at the moment I'm trying to find out which ECU pinout configuration I should look for when getting the loom, igniters, AFM etc.

Either the, 34 22 16 28 or 40 40 40 I'm guessing?

Cheers

-Simon

700 bucks
well add up to 500 i guess

id still buy a complete set but each to their own
i see this every day where people cant afford stuff anyway good luck with it

doesnt matter which ecu or harness u get
as long as u get complete engine harness and matching ecu and ignitos and maf
and also get the front harness that does the cam and crank sensors as the plugs vary on these on different engines mainly the older ones

im not sure but i would also do a search or someone might reply but uneed to make sure the injectors match the ecu aswell
pretty sure most older 1uzs have same injectors
also the oxygen sensors differ between models

anyway if u get stuck u can also look up the university labs and yr father for help
as he must do this stuff every day

Great. Thanks for your input sideshow.

Yeah, the injectors should be fine. Its only the SC400 that has 250cc injectors. All the rest 215.

There are two cars in the country on the internet at the moment that are complete with blown up motors. LS400 Celsior and UZZ32 soarer.

So I'll see what he wants for all the required stuff. Surly it wont be 1000 (to put me equal to buying one complete) but if it's getting close I can easily pull out of this sale. The motor is coming into the country regardless of me purchasing it or not.

-Simon

Sheesh, Just got quoted $800 for AFM, ECU, Loom and Igniters from the guy wrecking them. Putting my price to $1600.

There is a '91 UZS141 Crown repower package on the internet for $1600.
This includes EVERYTHING needed.

Or a '91 UCF11 Celsior one for $1500.

Both from an importer with a warranty etc.

Thanks for putting my mind straight sideshow.
Would have to be stupid to not buy a complete one at those prices.

Now to decide which one...

BigKriss,

If you'd bothered to have a good look at the photos you would have noticed both engines have their oil caps. One even has it correctly mounted on top of the cam cover. The other it's sitting in front of the plenum so you can see into the cam cover.

We may be (in your opinion) "boring" but we certainly are one of the best informed Forums around and certainly way ahead of any other 1UZ Forum.

Bait-taken.
Hello Rod,Relax mate, did you see my question marks with my comments ?

Never disputed the info factor here, its just soooo slow .;);)

Good to see two pages of posts in just 12 hours here though, this ones on fire !:)

So upon talking to my man in Japan he reckons he can get all the necessary parts that suit for quarter the price quoted in NZ.
(ECU, AFM, igniters and loom)

Hmm will have to do more thinking and info hunting haha.

Bait-taken.
Hello Rod,Relax mate, did you see my question marks with my comments ?

Never disputed the info factor here, its just soooo slow .;);)

Good to see two pages of posts in just 12 hours here though, this ones on fire !:)

Our projects seem to go in cycles here, depending on availability of parts, money, etc. We've been in a down cycle the last few months, but hopefully some of us will have some interesting things to discuss soon.

Sorry for the thread drift!

That's good.

And I'm not scared of thread drifting. Or any drifting for that matter.

So my plan is get a full uncut loom from a car in NZ and buy all the matching parts in Japan. Everything is easy to find over there except the looms which all get cut to pieces. Eg a pair of igneters for $6NZD

Whats a Link worth there ??? And use wasted spark ignition, COP or GM Genlll coils ??

I haven't looked into it. Way over budget for the motor.

Thanks for all the input so far but one last question.

If I have the option between two full looms here in NZ, 40-40-40 and 34-22-16-28, What would be the best one to go for?

I want to source all the electrical bits to match the loom in Japan.
So which would be easiest to get the parts (ECU, Igniters, AFM etc) for and which is easiest to get my head around with decent diagrams (not that I should need them too much, it will all plug up hopefully).

I think my motor was 34-22-16-28 before everything got hacked off it.

Cheers

I haven't looked into it. Way over budget for the motor.

Thanks for all the input so far but one last question.

If I have the option between two full looms here in NZ, 40-40-40 and 34-22-16-28, What would be the best one to go for?

I want to source all the electrical bits to match the loom in Japan.
So which would be easiest to get the parts (ECU, Igniters, AFM etc) for and which is easiest to get my head around with decent diagrams (not that I should need them too much, it will all plug up hopefully).

I think my motor was 34-22-16-28 before everything got hacked off it.

Cheers
Sheesh !! You havn't looked into it yet you say its too expensive ???
Ahahaha haha

Sheesh !! You havn't looked into it yet you say its too expensive ???
Ahahaha haha

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-M...Performance/Electronics/auction-295058914.htm

There we go.

$3,200.00

Like I said, I'v got a mate with one I may be able to get for $1000.
But with no brains on it.
Then how much do you think dyno time is? Would use lots of gas too.

Or I can buy $300 worth of factory parts and not need to tune anything...
Then get the car certified for the conversion and suspension mods for under the price it costs to just buy the link. Let alone tune it.

It's not a race car.

Last edited:
Ok, so I got a 40-40-40 pin SC400 loom lined up.

I'm sure my motor is from the generation earlier so 34-22-16-28 or 26-16-22-26 pins.

Did Toyota change any important sensors in the motor between facelifts?
I know they changed AFM and possibly Igniters which I have to buy anyway (and which ill match to the ECU).

Did Toyota change the crank angle sensor or the way in which it reads the engine speed between early 90's and 96?

What about Throttle position sensors?

I'm slowly putting together the puzzle.

Cheers for your help so far.