Help with tranny issue?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

I am still driving around my old 92 SC400, and have a transmission issue that I am not too sure I can fix..

The Problem -

Recently when I start the car cold and begin to drive off the car is having trouble shifting into 2nd gear. It revs high to about 4000 RMP when cold then eventually shifts down. I have to tap the gas at times when cold a few times to help assist the car to shift properly.. When warm the problem goes away.. This has been on going for a few weeks now and is bothering me.

Just this morning when cold I pulled out and it shifted too soon and the car engine bogged a bit, then the tranny quickly corrected and shifted back into first as I pulled off. I'm now thinking what is next?

What is the problem? Is it a sticking transmission valve, torque converter, or just an old tranny on it's way out? I tried adding a good transmission additive but it did not help.

A little help on this issue would be greatly appreciated..

How's your tranny fluid look, John? Might be time for a flush and refill.

Any whining noises?

My son's black Supra was doing something similar and we're now heading for a new Boost Logic tranny & torque converter.

Seems cold weather always brings out the problems with trannies, brakes and batteries.

Sounds like it might be the VB (selenoids) I have one extra laying around. Come by and pick it up. Changing fluid might help too.

Sounds like it might be the VB (selenoids) I have one extra laying around. Come by and pick it up. Changing fluid might help too.

Thanks Dave.. Could be the selenoid like you say..

I'm thinking it's just cheaper and less of a headache to change the tranny out.. I picked this one up from you Dave for $300 a few years ago and I still see them used for around that same price here and there..

How difficult is it changing out the VB? Is it even worth the trouble on old used highj mile tranny like I have now?

Dave thanks man.. I'm not so convinced that's the problem though..

I also got a little bit of slippage when cold as well.. I remember this feel all to well with my other wasted trannies.. I'm thinking maybe this tranny is just too old and used up.. Probably won't last much longer anyways..

I may just shop for a newer used one with lower miles.. They are cheap and fairly easy to swap out..

Curious Dave? Do you have another tranny laying around the old garage by any chance that you may want to sell to me?

A couple of Cafe's coming right up... No problem..

Heck, I'll even make it a couple of Grande French Vinilla Cappuccino Latte's with whip cream on top for a good used tranny for $300 or less ;)

I am riding this tranny out til she gives.. The tranny really seems fine when the car warms up..

The latest problems is I do get a loud whinning noise now from the tranny when cold.. What can I expect next?

So it is now not shifting easily into 2nd gear without tapping the gas and assisting..Also it is now making an annoying whinning noise when first started and cold. The noise goes away in just a few seconds after driving..

Lex or John does this still sound like the VB noid only?

Lex, I can't PM Steve and don't have his phone number.. There is a block on his PM.. Dave, the next time you talk to him maybe you can mention I am interested in his extra tranny he has.. I will be happy to pay him for it too..

Thanks..

...Lex, I can't PM Steve and don't have his phone number.. There is a block on his PM.. Dave, the next time you talk to him maybe you can mention I am interested in his extra tranny he has.. I will be happy to pay him for it too..

Thanks..
I'm still right here. I guess David had blocked my PM. :D I'm keeping that spare tranny just in case if I want to put it on the car and sell my current built tranny in the future. But you can have it with a trade for Cafe with the SC triad. :)

If you still run NOS, no tranny will last for you. I have my tranny completely built with Alto Hi-Performance Red Eagle kit and a modified valve body by IPT, and if you don't want to spend $3500 with Boost Logic, then this is the way to go for $1500. This setup shifts so quick, but it jerks. It's been handling my 400 rwhp/rwtq SC with no problem. The Alto engineer said it can handle 500 rwhp/rwtq easily.

Hey Steve, nice of you to drop in on this thread..

In regards to your spare tranny - I understand you wanting to keep it for re-sale purposes or just incase you want to build it up for a future build.. I had one of my spent trannies sitting around for that purpose too, to my suprise it got stolen right out of my gated backyard.. I was thinking of sending that one into boostlogic at the time for rebuild and build up..

Thanks for the offer but I think I can find one in the yards and or classified papers.. I will figure it out..

MY SC400 - No more mods or racing.. I sold my NOS bottle and no longer use it. The NOS system is still intact. My SC400 is just a daily driver now and a decent one at that. Still has some pep N/A, still has all the mods, still looks ok, the drive is a bit worn out now, one window doesn't work, one door lock doesn't work, the A/C is out and leaks freon, and I get the shakes and wobbles at 70mph. Now the tranny is going as this thread describes. Other then all that the car is great.. Body is still clean, tires and breaks are solid, engine still purs, cooling system is great, etc..

I need to find the time and work space to fix all the little things..Soon....

Thanks for all the replies fellas..

Last edited:
That's no problem, John. If you want it, let me know. About Boostlogic, I heard they rebuild very good tranny. But you may consider if you're not boosting your car, then why spend some big bucks on that.

Ummh! No NOS! Is it time for turbo or supercharger? If not, then I remember you've been wanting a Z06. A decent second hand Z06 runs somewhere from $43K and up. But please remember, my SC is always hunting for the Z06. :D