HELP!!! manual tranny in an LS400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Autobahn_stormer

Hey all
I'm going to be on the receiving end of an isurance cheque soon for my torched ES300 (long story short something went through something else while on the highway, big bang, lots of smoke and fire, no more ES300) and I will be converting my 1991 LS400 to a manual trany very soon. I would just like ANY feedback from anyone who has done this swap or has done the necessary research. I want this to go as smoothly as possible as the LS is now my daily driver.
I have been in contact with Peter from Thor Racing and am convinced that this should be a fairly straight-forward affair, but i would just like to hear from people who have completed it regarding driveability, improvement in fuel economy/performance? thanks a bunch guys

JP

p.s Lextreme....you're crazy...i like you...but you're crazy man

I don't know anyone who has converted an LS400/Celsior to manual.
They were not available manual from factory, so there is no clutch pedal hole/mounts in the firewall.

You are going to have to compare the pedals with the Supra and SC300 to see if anything is identical, and use those pedals.

Once thats done the rest will be fairly straight forward.

Box, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, hard lines, softline, mounts, ecu trickery.

Thanks guys....There's gotta be someone who's done this somewhere! Come on guys, am i the only one who wants to row his own gears in a full size car? Anyways That's pretty much what i expected Peewee, the only thing that worries me is the "ECU trickery"...other then that i should be able to handle it all myself in fairly short order...can anyone give me first hand advice as to the driving experience in a manual SC400?

JP

p.s. am i the only one who thinks a supercharged LS400 with a 5 spd manual that can take down most anything on the highway while hauling all my friends to the beach is cool?

i think there are a few manual sc's in aussie and one about to be completed (you can find that one in the club lexus forum) in the u.s. for the first time, the ls could be even more challenging than the sc and i have still never seen pics of a manual sc400 or hear d comments on how it performed and how they tricked the ecu.

Heya Autobahn_stormer, I'm considering the same conversion on my 92 LS although probably not so immediately. My plan was to take it into Bullet in Queensland here in Oz, hand over some cash then drive off with a smile, but then i am yet to get their quote.... I'm with you mate, swapping my own cogs in my LS would make the beast potentially very very evil.... i like that... except for my fuel bills...

Btw im planning 6 speeds instead of 5 (supra 6 speed anyone?) , for acceleration as well as cruisy revs at speed.... Especially as i am in the Northern Territory here in Oz..... No speed limits, so going fastest is completely legal.... :firedevil Only had it at just over 230kph so far (it's completely stock btw) and still going strong, smooth, quiet and stuck down amazingly well....

Oops sorry im crapping on again.... ciao! :mischievo

Thanks for the reply. I unfortunatley don't have the luxury of having anyone as intrested in LS 400's in canada as you do. I beleive I may be the only person locally who has a pretty good understanding as to the potential of the 1UZ...
Anyways Thanks for the input and good luck with your swap. At this rate you my have yours done before me as I have shifted back onto finishing my stripped out 2JZ powered '72 datsun 510. So the LS is on the backburner for now, with the exception of possibly som enew racing harts to rip around on during thesummer and maybe a new eaxhaust (again laextreme, thanks for the clip of y our car with the magnaflows....oh....my....god....) But at any rate I'm rambling have a good one fellas (and hopefully ladies) hope to hear of some 1UZ-manual driveability stories soon

JP

I've driven it down the back road where my shop is....and the tarmac is kind of broken...its not bad for a back road but its far from perfect...and in these conditions all i have to say is that roughly 400hp in a 1500lb car is stupid....anything under third gear is useless.....fourth might be a joke but i dont know because things were gettin a bit hairy....anyways the project is nearing completion after a long hiatous so i'll have some pics up soon....actually ihave one of when i first got the car ...btw that's the old l18 lump....it was pretty hairy with that thing....10.5:1 compression...9000 rpm...but yeah...im rambling again....enjoy and good luck with ur celica...keep me posted....oh and check out www.2jzswap.com
x1p1LYvM2cVP1ER80l6Wsou-314OyCnC_h5HB91OeGYyZF0-SwSad9nZKnGAgFfxlNyoViY_PnIpkXX88-F1s2vz-eSwafmsk6VqkddimNgm9tsu1kiwEas6is0Yunejmh0vZc6Tf6hR1eWhS4wOXT16A