Cam Gear (Cam Pulley)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Hello,

Bad news. I took my spare 1uz cam pulley to my friend's shop trying to get other Toyota cars to have the same cam pulley. I tried 2JZ would not work. I also called up my buddy Ronnie from Keyes Lexus and got the part number. The part number for 1uz cam pulley is 1305650011 and i called up a local toyota dealer and they stated no such part number.

Basically we can not get adjustable cam pulley. I guess we will be stuck with the stock cam pulley for a while until we get them custom made.

An adjustable cam pulley wouldnt work.
As you advance the inlet x degrees, you would retard the exhaust cam by the same degree.

We need a custom scissor gear setup.

Unfortunately, thats far from cheap.

I was looking at the cam drive gears yesteray and I asked myself what would it cost to make a new gear?

The scissor gears are pretty simple to look at.

I don't see it would be expensive to make a new gear with the outer teeth advanced (or retarded) by however many degrees you wanted from the inner teeth.

What would happen if you advance the inside teeth and retarded the outer teeth.

Before you respond have a look. There are fewer inner teeth than outer teeth so you should be able to moderate the advance by moving one forward and one backwards.

Hey guys,
i'm a little new here, but let me join in.
As I see it an adjustable cam gear would definately be something i look into. Even before trying to get some better cams. As someone said elswhere on this site, if you try to lower te copression (as we all want to, for that blower we all want) by using thicker gaskets, or evin if the heads or block get milled the distance from the center if the crank pulley and cam pulley moves.. wich would require an adjustment.. having both cams on the same page, knowing where that page is, is more important to me than a bigger cam.

1youzee,

You're right about the timing difference.

I can't see why you couldn't machine the drive flange off a gear then machine the centre out of another gear so they fitted over each other. Then it's only a matter of drilling them to allow to allow the vernier adjustment. Many engines have just such an adjustment mechanism on their cams.

This would allow both cams to be timed correctly after head machining.

I also believe you could make new scissor gears that would allow variation between the inlet and outlet cams. The gears look pretty straight forward to machine up.

Why not just have some offset keys made for the stock cam drive gears. With this method although time consuming you could vary cam timing independently. Offset keys would not be all that hard to machine.