Auto kickdown problem

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

duza

I'm now pretty happy with my recent conversion (92 Celsior and auto) into my 4WD Hilux. However, I've now discovered that I cannot kickdown the auto from 2nd to 1st. All other kickdowns are good, but if you're going quite slow and the vehicle is in 2nd, then you floor it, nothing happens. Any ideas? I've never actually adjusted the kickdown cable, I just reconnected it the way it came out of the half cut, so maybe that is the problem, but as all the other kickdowns are OK, then maybe it's something else. Help please.
Ric

Kickdown cable has been checked. It is OK. 30 people have read this now, but no-one has replied. Surely someone here has a theory?
Ric

I have an auto if you want it...
Keep it in mind....
As said on other thread...
It could be the TPS requires centralizing ???
If it reads too high it puts things out of sequence....
Don't know exact specs for Lexus but its usually under 1v @ idle ????

Dural ??? Galston Rd ???

Factory most have a kickdown switch on the accelarator pedal. we always fit one when we do a conversion with an auto. Check your wiring diagrams and see if there is one shown. Main TPS should be at .5 at idle with the idle switch on as well - cheers

I'm now pretty happy with my recent conversion (92 Celsior and auto) into my 4WD Hilux. However, I've now discovered that I cannot kickdown the auto from 2nd to 1st. All other kickdowns are good, but if you're going quite slow and the vehicle is in 2nd, then you floor it, nothing happens. Any ideas? I've never actually adjusted the kickdown cable, I just reconnected it the way it came out of the half cut, so maybe that is the problem, but as all the other kickdowns are OK, then maybe it's something else. Help please.
Ric

I have the same problem …
I try to connect the "kickdown switch" wire goes to the ECU with no luck ……… the same problem ..
May be some one can find solution !!!

I have an auto if you want it...
Keep it in mind....
As said on other thread...
It could be the TPS requires centralizing ???
If it reads too high it puts things out of sequence....
Don't know exact specs for Lexus but its usually under 1v @ idle ????

Dural ??? Galston Rd ???

No, Dural, Quarry Rd.

Thanks all who replied. I'll check the TPS and will ask Sideshow about a kickdown switch when I see him next.
Regards,
Ric

i have tried the kickdown witch on other conversions and it does jack poooo

if it kicks down when in overdriveto 3rd or from 3rd to 2nd then it does kick down

if it doesnt kick down at all its either not getting full throttle or the speed sensor to ecu is too fast so the ecu thinks its goin fatser than normal so it wont kick down

bring it to sss next week illbe there most of the week

thanks

Apologies for digging up such an old thread,

Was there any conclusion to this Duza ?
Ive been having this exact problem. Engine and trans are out of a 93 celsior. It was a conversion we did into a 76 Benz, wired up by Jim :)

Auto will shift 4th to 3rd, 3rd to second no worries, just won't kickdown to 1st, also short shifts to 2nd on takeoff.

Brett.

Brett,
It was such a long time ago, but if memory is correct, Sideshow determined my particular motor does actually need a kickdown switch. There was no room in the hilux to fit the factory switch, so I just got a $2 micro switch from an electronics retailer and it has worked ever since. A couple of months ago, I inadvertedly disconnected one of the wires and noticed the problem came back immediately, so it seems it definitely did the trick.
Ric

Thanks Ric, Jim mentioned the KD switch, and to look at that.
I had it wired up, but just wasn't getting a good earth, made a new earth and now all is good. Will pick up 1st gear easily now, made a big difference.

Brett