Asymmetric turbocharging

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

steve.troxell

I was researching turbo systems for a 1uz. I see Saab uses asymmetric systems on their v6. What is you employed an asymmetric twin turbo system on a uz? For instance a larger turbo on one bank for high rpm power and a smallerturbo o the other bank for lower end power and boost response both feeding into a common intake. Would this even be possible? Just curious. I searched and couldn't find any info on this ever being done. Might be a bad idea because of more backpressure on one bank versus the other. If anyone has any pros/cons or possibilities/impossibilities throw the down I'm just curious. I think a symmetrical twin turbo kit would be more practical and more effective. Again this is just to indulge my own curiosity and And offer info to others.

You could try a smaller A.R on one side ?? With wastegate's on BOTH turbo's the first [primery] having smaller A.R housing where it's wastegate vents back into crossover pipe to other turbo which could have higher A.R and higher pressure setting on bigger wastegate as it will need have capacity to flow both turbo's from a 4.0 engine.. Possibly the primery turbo could be set up with internal gate and the secondry turbo have a 46mm external wastegate ??

Some requential systems do have issues mid RPM where the crossover is..
Subaru had it on there B4 Liberty / Legasy..

But really there are some nice single turbo's out there that spool very quick these days.. The GT3540 as used on Aussie 4.0 XR6T Falcons keep the V8 boys VERY VERY honest...

"The GT3540 as used on Aussie 4.0 XR6T Falcons keep the V8 boys VERY VERY honest..."

GT3540 ?? You suggested the TO4z !! Which has just cost me 1600 dollars u.s. !! ;):)

Got it btw...Thanks.

"The GT3540 as used on Aussie 4.0 XR6T Falcons keep the V8 boys VERY VERY honest..."

GT3540 ?? You suggested the TO4z !! Which has just cost me 1600 dollars u.s. !! ;):)

Got it btw...Thanks.

Yes the GT3540 61mm comp wheel would possibly be better suited on a std engine, under 500 h.p..
The o.p was concerned about lag etc.. It's NOT an issue with correct installation tune etc...

Yes the GT3540 61mm comp wheel would possibly be better suited on a std engine, under 500 h.p..
The o.p was concerned about lag etc.. It's NOT an issue with correct installation tune etc...

Hey Ozz, my whole post was totally tongue in cheek..Very happy with your suggestion and really appreciated your input..:):):) and just for good measure..:):)