86 4runner swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

frappe225

i am new to all this but i am wanting to get a V8 for my car and i want to know how much it will cost before i go and buy the engine. i have a 2.4l diesel, with all stock engine, trans and suspension. will i need to upgrade my gearbox and transfer case or will it handle the extra power? will i need to upgrade the suspension? what would you suggest?

also i live in western australia, is there anyone here who has done this swap successfully or had any major dramas or knows a good cheap place to get it done as i am only 18yo.

thanks,

Alastair.

cheap dont make me laugh hehehe

not many conversions are cheap these days

problem with the 2.4 diesel is if its same as the surf they have a seperate ecu that does the 4wd and the auto all in one

i am in process of trying to get the lexus v8 ecu to talk to the surf auto ecu so it changes down gears but not having much luck

this might be one problem

the other is theres abit of work getitng yr transfer to run behind the v8 auto

so theres good and bad things whichever way u go

but unless u have up to 10grand if u plan to pay someone to do everyhting drive in drive out style

i would not bother

We should have an early hilux in the shop ready for this conversion. (i've been away for a week) We have done heaps of 1uz swaps and have done a few early (pre1990) hilux. This one is going to be a bush truck. I will check with the customer and see if I am able to share photos. We always check before using them - cheers

thanks for the links but they are all for the 2nd gen 4runners which are different to 1st gen also the 4runner and surf look the same but that is it there are very few similarities between them also i have a manual so the auto problems should not effect me.

keep the advice coming

alastair

I was looking into this swap for my 88 Runner. It is not for the light hearted.

Is your 86' a SFA or IFS? In US domestic yota's 85 was the last year of the solid front axle in runners and pickups.

I ended up selling my 1uz (dOH!) because i was discouraged by all that needs to be done. I decided it was easier to swap a supra motor. However i am now leaning towards this swap again.... mmmmm v8 torque....

Things to think about:
Oil pan sump interferance
Bell housing
Clutch
Pressure plate

I am curious as to what transmission you have behind that diesel, if it is a r151f i envy you incredibly.

My suggestion is to find a shop around your area that has experience working w/ 1uz's. I making the assumption that it should not be too hard as it seems to me that New Zealander's and Australlians have been using/modding/swapping these motors longer than folks in the states.

other than that, good luck!

We do these all the time. I have a full conversion kit on the shelf including mounts , bellhousing , flywheel , clutch and an oil filter block to do these conversions. Makes things easy. Beginners need to allow pleanty of time and money to sort. Base model conversions are easily 10k at a good workshop and go up from there. One good thing for us is we can predict problems on each different model and plan for that. Cheers

hey gloverman have u ever done a 1uz and used the surf auto

ive done 2 now and the 2lte ecu must send a weird signal to the auto ecu

to get it to change gears which ive tried to replicate but with no luck

im trying to get hold of a factory surf auto to do some testing

so people trying to get out of it cheap by using surf auto there is a glitch

Sorry Sideshow never done a 4x4 auto. I have a mate with a LN130 surf auto diesel. I can check some signals if that helps. Alot of guys over here using autos start with a prado auto and put the lexus clutch packs into it. cheers

hey gloverman have u ever done a 1uz and used the surf auto

ive done 2 now and the 2lte ecu must send a weird signal to the auto ecu

to get it to change gears which ive tried to replicate but with no luck

im trying to get hold of a factory surf auto to do some testing

so people trying to get out of it cheap by using surf auto there is a glitch

Use the auto from the doner vehicle and put the Surf's output shaft and 4wd adapter on it.

yes thats the proper way to do it but i dont do the mechanicals the customers do

im trying to sort out how to run the surf auto so its easy for the next guys

ill get there i just need to find a doner surf to test in my own time

Hey Chaps,

I have an auto behind my 2JZGE in 90' Hilux surf/4runner.

i have wired up the solenoids via some diodes to the selector switch and the trans is full manual shifting now.

its very simple.
u have ot shift the trans yourself, but then u dont have the ECU making bad gear choices for hills and the like.

2 of my mates have done the LN61 surf /1UZ swap
one was a live axle and one was IFS, both manual trans of the W56 type

adapters for these boxes to the 1UZ auto bellhouse are
easy to come by in NZ
they handle the V8 ok but will break if abuse is serious and unrelenting, but i broke more boxes with my 327 TPI Chev, they had one noisey failure. mostly due to the paddle clutch he had used.

the IFS truck had firewall clearance problems aswell as a handbrake relocation. a full custom sump to clear the diff head was made also.

not an easy repower but definitely worth it as it took both of them to pull me out of a hole i got stuck in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmW4tGyDZC4

both of them used LINK ECU's.

i hope this is of some use to you frappe225

the conversions are clear in my head so feel free to pick away..

hey mate,
i am currently doing the V8 conversion to my 88 hilux surf, had the 2.4turbo diesel manual in there and bought me self the 1uzfe out of the
ls400 celsior. complete engine and box cost me 2k, and managed to sell the diesel for 1200bucks, so far it hasn't cost me alot, with that in mind
i still need to buy a surf auto box, which should only cost 500bucks or so.
there is lot of custom work to be done tho, u need to swap the v8 bell housing with the surf auto, custom engine mounts, headers need to be modified, oil filter i'm told needs to relocated, sump is sitting pretty close
to the steering link as well, hopefully i won't have to modify this and the list goes on. i live in WA too, so if need more info where to pick up the Lexus V8 engines or any other gear let me know and i'll be able to sort u out. U'll have to wait till i done my conversion, and if its cheap and not too time consuming i'll probably could do yours for u. cheers Lukes