1UZFE to Hilux/Surf transfer box help ?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

smallfry

I am investigating the possibilties of adapting a Lexus A341E Autobox to something else.............

On a Hilux/Surf (what they call it here in the UK ?) with an autobox, there is a alloy housing between the main gearbox housing, and the transfer box. The speed sensors sit inside it. I would guess it is around six inches long or so, but I have not seen one in the flesh !

Can anyone out there tell me the front to rear measurement, overall flange to flange ? Give or take a few mm will be OK.

Thanks

Hi Andrew

A while back you kindly sent me some pics of your ZF adaptation, but I promptly lost it somehow. I am trying to work out whether it would be best to use the Aisin A341E already on the engine and adapt this to a Land Rover transfer box, including the speed sensors. OR, using a ZF autobox and adapting this to the Lexus bellhousing...........which I think would be easier

I like the idea of the Aisin box as they can handle the engine power, but I sort of think the top gear is a little TOO high for the Land Rover weight and non aerodynamics. Not overly keen on the electronics either.

I like the fact that the ZF can be just hydraulic, but they are a bit fragile, so I would build a hybrid 4HP22 with some 4HP24 internals.

Either way I need to make up some length somehow hence my question. Yes, I would like to know the length of the alloy housing fittted to Surf Automatic vehicles, that fits between the main gearbox housing and the transfer box. I think it has a lever in the top (range change ?) I am trying to come up with a cunning plan !

I dont want to use a surf transfer box because of the rear output flange location, which will require the rear axle to be changed, which I dont really want to do if I can help it, although again, I like the idea of selectable 2 or 4WD ! However, this might be easier in the long run !

How are you getting on with yours ? I gather you are changing the gearbox setup ?

Dont you find this forum rather quiet ?

Hi,

The ZF wasn't me, I've always been on this track.

Mine is in a Warrior so is arse about face. V8 plus A341 plus Surf T box.

The casing between gearbox and transfer box is 160mm long.

I don't think the gearing will be an issue give the power increase you'll have.

I'm just going to make up some wide angle props (it's what I do for a living)

The rear shouldn't need an axle change. The output is central and high, but should be OK, depends if you are short or lwb.

Picture attached

Yes it is quiet.

Andy

Attachments

• SAM_1189.jpg
    SAM_1189.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 27
Oh Wow ! Now thats radical............to me anyways. How do you get the diffs to run the other way ? Upside down ?

Makes my installation probs look like a walk in the park !

I wonder who it was that sent the pics then ??????

I have a SWB so rear prop with a Surf box would be running at around 30 degrees, which I fear is a bit too much. If I could get such a thing as CV type propshafts it might be doable.

Thanks for measuring the housing BTW. Sadly its a bit too long, but maybe I could have the transfer box end milled off and weld on an alternative !

You dont happen to know what the Surf transfer box ratio is by any chance ?

HI,

Yes you flip the axles or diffs to get it to mainly in the right direction. I'm putting Toyota diffs into landrover casings, much stronger.

It would be fairly easy to adapt to the Toyota box, I think the shaft would be the more complex, it just depends upon the sizes. The propshaft flange on the A431 would be a good starting point for an adapter. I can't just picture what the input of a LT 230 looks like.

It is the sort of thing we have made for people before with Suzuki/Toyota hybrids.

You are right about the prop in a SWB landy, CV's would help but 30 deg is a lot.

From memory the Surf is 1:1 in high and about 2.4:1 in low. It has electronically switched 4WD but I have locked mine in permanently as otherwise I would have had FWD or 4WD options!

Hope that helps

Andy