2003 Hilux planing 1UZFE swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

bskati

Hello
I'm new here. My name is Baldur and I come from Iceland.

I have a 2003 Toyota Hilux that I have modified a bit:

z9i9.jpg

7zvb.jpg

erms.jpg

I'm planing a 1UZFE swap and could use some help from the community here.

I have an un-used 1UZFE from a Lexus, this engine came to Toyota Norway as a demo sometime in the 90s and it had been sitting in storage for some years when I was offered it.

The problem is that I have no idea for what vehicle this is, as it has never been in a vehicle. It has a lexus logo on the intake manifold and V8 FOUR CAM 32 on the valve covers. A sticker in the front says 1uz-F 87 and then 15.

I do not have the ECU nor wiring harness from then engine compartment, but the engine has all accessories, engine wiring loom and sensors.

I'm thinking if it better to source a used ECU and make up the missing wires from the firewall or go directly to megasquirt? Can someone help me identify this engine and what ECU to get?

I am also wondering about the instrument cluster, what have you guys been using? The tacho in my 2.5 diesel only goes up to 5000 rpm and I'm not sure if it the signal is even the same.

Best regards and thank you for a great website!
Baldur

Maybe posting some photos of the engine would be helpful. Make sure you show the engine covers , fuel rails , fuel pressure reg , position of coils , exhaust manifolds , ECU plugs and body plugs. Also if you are lucky there will be a part number on the loom close to where the ECU plugs in. Cheers

Maybe posting some photos of the engine would be helpful. Make sure you show the engine covers , fuel rails , fuel pressure reg , position of coils , exhaust manifolds , ECU plugs and body plugs. Also if you are lucky there will be a part number on the loom close to where the ECU plugs in. Cheers

Ok, I will do that next time I see the engine, I'm in Iceland and the engine is still in norway :p

Hello
I'm in Norway now and took some pictures of the engine. I have found out that this is a 1989 engine according to the spark plugs. So I guess this is an engine for a 1989 LS400 for europe.

This engine was a display unit and then it has been sitting in storage for some 20 years. What do you experts think I should replace before I try to start the engine? I was thinking if I should replace oil seals, gaskets, even head gaskets?

Keep in mind that this engine has most likely never been started.

Here are the pictures.

7aqs.jpg

07tv.jpg

9hjt.jpg

iarz.jpg

6gmi.jpg

vls5.jpg

iafi.jpg

mi1t.jpg

ju19.jpg

nda5.jpg

That is very cool. I would say it has never run as well. Amazing score.

The loom is from a late 92 through to late 94 LS400. General / Europe spec. I've seen plenty of engines with older leads fitted, I would say toyota make a fair few in a production run so have old stock avaliable.

I would guess most of the gaskets would be fine since they have never been through heat cycles , never seen combustion gases or coolant ( or poor quality coolant) so have no reason to deteriote. I would be checking the cambelt as it might be perished and maybe change the oil seals as again the rubber might be perished. Maybe just pop the crank seal out. If it is soft and supple then I would say the rest (including the valve stem seals) should be fine.

Myself I would be running it up to temp on the floor for peace of mind before installing. I've dealt with a few old stock brand new engines and we gave them a quick check over and every single one ran perfect. These had only been sitting for 10-15 years. If they have been stored in a dry place there are very few issues except for rubber componants and even then we had very few issues.

Great find. Working with brand new makes things so much nicer.

That is very cool. I would say it has never run as well. Amazing score.

The loom is from a late 92 through to late 94 LS400. General / Europe spec. I've seen plenty of engines with older leads fitted, I would say toyota make a fair few in a production run so have old stock avaliable.

I would guess most of the gaskets would be fine since they have never been through heat cycles , never seen combustion gases or coolant ( or poor quality coolant) so have no reason to deteriote. I would be checking the cambelt as it might be perished and maybe change the oil seals as again the rubber might be perished. Maybe just pop the crank seal out. If it is soft and supple then I would say the rest (including the valve stem seals) should be fine.

Myself I would be running it up to temp on the floor for peace of mind before installing. I've dealt with a few old stock brand new engines and we gave them a quick check over and every single one ran perfect. These had only been sitting for 10-15 years. If they have been stored in a dry place there are very few issues except for rubber componants and even then we had very few issues.

Great find. Working with brand new makes things so much nicer.

Thank you for the advice. I think I will replace the oil seals on the crank and take a look at the cam belt.

The plan at the moment is to run it on megasquirt and get it running and tuned before I fit it in the vehicle. A mate of mine is a tuner and he has a engine dyno, so the engine should get up to running temp during tuning.

I plan on using the standard R151F gearbox that is in the Hilux from the factory. planing on buying a new bellhousing for that, but does anyone have any advice on what flywheel, clutch etc I should use?

thanks again for a great forum!

thank you for that, but since I live in Iceland I am not got to order parts for New Zealand. It is extremely expensive to ship this long distance, and the stupid laws in Iceland say I will have to pay import tax of price of the items + shipping. So $1 in New Zealand is probably around $2,5-3 when it has arrived to me :(

I was hoping to use flywheel and clutch from another Toyota vehicle, is that possible, even with some machining? I can get very good prices on genuine Toyota parts, and I got the machining part covered

hey again, I've been doing some research and according to what I read, there is no flywheel that is a direct fit. Is this correct?
I'm not a big fan of the idea modifying a cast flywheel, so I guess I will have to make my own billet (meaning have my CNC expert friend do it for me). Does anyone have dimensions that I could use?
I am thinking about using the clutch from a 2006- 3.0 diesel hilux. It has the 1KD-FTV engine and R151F gearbox. The clutch is 260 mm in diameter and the press gives 7530 N. Shouldn't that be enough?