clutch problems 1988 hilux surf - 1uzfe

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jdiggs

Hey all,

having major problems with not being able to select 1st and 2nd gear in my truck, clutch shudders a little bit and the manual gear shifter shakes a whole lot. Problem got conseculativly worse, started just having a little difficulty getting into first, and now clutch wont disengage....

Have just pulled the transmission, clutch and flywheel off and cant find any problems so starting to think its a problem with the hydraulic system somewhere...I do know that the clutch master cylinder was rebuilt just before i bought the truck.

Am hoping somebody has come across this situation before or something similar! please help!!!!

What clutch and release bearing is it running? What slave and master cylinder is it using? What side is the slave on? There are a few options of parts which can make a difference. Is it using a bellhousing or adaptor plate? I have an extended 5/8th slave which gives more travel which is one way of solving this problem.

Cheers

You will have to please excuse my lack of automotive knowledge, am new to the game.

The truck previously had an "xtreme" clutch, which the guy at exedy clutches laughed at. Have just replaced it with a exedy sports tuff, and puck style clutch... but still no help. The slave and master cylinder are the (im assuming) standard 1988 toyota hilux surf, not to sure what you mean by what side the slave is on... looking from the rear of the vehicle its on the right hand side of the gear box...

The gearbox has an adapter plate to the housing.

Im pretty sure you are correct in that one of the clutch cylinders are not doing thier job efficiently. transmission wont go into gear, and drivetrain is ingaged while trying to put into first.

The funny thing is that I bought the clutch in christchurch nz and drove it 1000km to auckland with no problems at all.

After about four months i started to have trouble getting it into gear after i had been driving for about 15-20mins and the problem got worse from there.

thanks very much for the fast reply gloverman

Could be a failed master or slave, maybe replace the slave since its cheap and easy. Seems like the release bearing is not pushing far enough on the cover.

If the setup worked initially, then there should not be any reason why you need to change cylinder sizes. If the clutch wore then the bearing would be closer to the fingers, so I dont think your issue is with the clutch.

Last edited:
Hello - was the old clutch worn? When it was all together could you still push the slave push rod back into the cylinder. And what flywheel does it run? and release bearing?

One thing that happens is the release bearing is too far away from the pressure plate so the master cylinder free play gets adjusted out to the point where the clutch works but never completely releases. When the setup is adjusted correctly there should be around 15-25mm of pedal freeplay and the slave cylinder push rod should push easily into the Cylinder.
This is quite common with flywheels and clutch setup which place the pressure plate fingertips too far from the release bearing. They are often adjusted right on the limit and with a bit of wear the pressure plate fingers increase in height and take the last bit of adjustment.

There is nothing wrong with both xtreme clutches or exedy clutchs. I have used both. Which clutch kit is it using - possible 3S?

Cheers
Kelvin

hi 4000GT/gloverman,
I took the whole flywheel and clutch assembly back to where i got the clutch from and found that the slave cylinder did not have enough reach to completely disengage the clutch... was told to find either a master cylinder with a bigger bore to push more fluid(which was impossible because everywhere I went told me they didnt have a bigger one) or a slave cylinder with a smaller bore so that the pushrod would travel further....couldnt find one so have taken it to a clutch and brake engineer who is resleeving the slave from a 19mm bore down to a 17.4mm so that we get further reach...

As to the old clutch, the whole transplant was done in april 08 so the clutch was pretty new, (i managed to get hold of the guy who did the job, and he said that the owner of the truck just wanted to get it going as fast and cheap as possible, he also said that the clutch plate was from a toyota mr2!!)

runs an xtreme chromoly flywheel, release beering was a custom job... and is now running the same flywheel, exedy sports tuff pressure plate, heavy duty cushion button kit (http://www.exedy.com.au/CushionButtonClutchKit.aspx).

will let you know how the new slave works out...

Thanks
Jamie

is it quite common getting clutch cylinders resleeved? and whats your reasons for getting/stocking resleeved cylinders?

This lextreme forum is awsome for getting help...thanks heaps guys

Well its easier to just buy a cylinder of the right size to start with, depending on the side the slave mounts to etc, since I made a custom mount for the slave, it was just easier to get it sleeved very easy and common to do. I needed it resleeved as the clutch was not fully disengaging. Its a new clutch and Im just setting everything up now.

I have a turbo 1UZ Supra.
AE86 20v track car
Hilux truck

geeze, nice line up of vehicles 4000gt, how easy/cost effective is getting a turbo? I was thinking of possibly getting mine supercharged when I can afford it...

so which vehicle are you setting up the clutch for? got any photos of your vehicles?

Cheers

I am running a 130series surf with TD07 1uz. I own a workshop and there are 1uz conversions everywhere. I think there are 6 there at the moment.

Ill repost some photos of my truck to ther thread I started for it. (search UZN130)

Cheers

geeze, nice line up of vehicles 4000gt, how easy/cost effective is getting a turbo? I was thinking of possibly getting mine supercharged when I can afford it...

so which vehicle are you setting up the clutch for? got any photos of your vehicles?

Cheers

SC is easier than turbo by far. Turbo makes a lot more power psi for psi though. If you dont have massive power goals, then SC, if you wont decent power, I say go turbo. Its still a lot of work / money either way, probably more for turbo in the end though...

Clutch is all back inside the truck, but with the higher pressure clutch and the sleeved slave, its almost impossible to change gear, not very comfortable driving round the streets...